#1 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall, UK

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:49 AM

Got up on the bandstand and did some more Ellington!  It was so nice to play with horns for once - trumpet, alto sax and trombone.  Everyone took a solo - I was watching the sax player as I expected to just walk in support of them - and she pointed at the band leader on piano, who was pointing at me!  Nearly lost my nerve, but played a sixteen bar solo to some praise from the many musicians in the crowd.  People don't expect bass solos to be melodic - I suppose it is hard to do so on the double bass, but easier on bass guitar.  Came off the bandstand feeling exhillarated!

• DaveG and chemistry1973 like this

#2 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:11 PM

I've been trying to teach myself jazz guitar for a year or two now, without conspicuous success so far. I have learned some good ways to step outside the usual, well-worn pentatonic / minor / major stuff though, that works for Blues and general playing as well.

• Moving Target likes this

#3 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall, UK

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:32 PM

I've been trying to teach myself jazz guitar for a year or two now, without conspicuous success so far. I have learned some good ways to step outside the usual, well-worn pentatonic / minor / major stuff though, that works for Blues and general playing as well.

I just learn the chords of a given standard, walk around on the chord tones, and if they give me a solo whizz up the chord tones and down on the modes, or vice versa.  Dunno how to play "out" - playing jazz "in" is hard enough....

Modal jazz is easier as there are no wrong notes as long as you stay on the mode.

#4 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:45 PM

"Jazz is --weird."

• Moving Target likes this

#5 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member