Photo

Jacked up feet: bunions, hammer toes calluses, etc.

foot problems foot pain foot treatments

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

I've been dealing on and off with  bunion and hammer toe on my right foot, and callused areas of both feet.  The podiatrist I've been seing says the angle of the hammer toe is getting worse, and that bunion surgery is likely "within a year" to avoid further problems.

One of my sisters has ongoing problems with plantar fasciitis (spp?), says it's very painful when it flares up

Any other peeps with foot problems?

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#2 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

Well, a little more than a year later, and I'm having surgery Friday to correct my right foot.  Will likely have the big toe of my right foot broken and reset with a pin placed in it.  The second toe may also be worked on, but my podiatirst says that decison will be made when he fixes the big toe- ther'ea a possibility that fixing the big toe. which now hammers under the second one, will allow ther second toe to heal on it's own without further work.  I'll be out of commission for two weeks, supplemented by antiboitics and Percocets, and limp over to the comptuer room and report when I'm able. 

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

#3 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,466 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

Hang in there pbj!

#4 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:40 PM

Yeesh!
Good luck.

#5 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

mmm...pbj...

Good luck with the surgery, I hope it works as intended and you get back on yer feet soon...

< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#6 mmcxii

mmcxii

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:23 PM

Thank God I have flippers!

#7 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:39 PM

NXsy2T1.jpg

Always wondered what Hammer Toes are.  Now I know.

#8 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

Well, a little more than a year later, and I'm having surgery Friday to correct my right foot.  Will likely have the big toe of my right foot broken and reset with a pin placed in it.  The second toe may also be worked on, but my podiatirst says that decison will be made when he fixes the big toe- ther'ea a possibility that fixing the big toe. which now hammers under the second one, will allow ther second toe to heal on it's own without further work.  I'll be out of commission for two weeks, supplemented by antiboitics and Perocets, and limp over to the compuer room and report when I'm able. 

Get well fast.

#9 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:56 PM

Dang PJ, hope it all goes well!

Chem, there's a lot more going on with those feet than just hammer toes. Holy mother of god!
  • chemistry1973 likes this

#10 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:58 PM

Get well soon!

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#11 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 617 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:31 AM

I get gout something awful in my feet.  My feet are also very prone to muscle strains.  I have custom orthotics and a heel cushion.

My feet make me feel like a frikkin' old man!!! 

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#12 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:55 AM

I run 5ks barefoot for fun!

Get well!

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#13 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:42 AM

Thanks everyone.  While my right foot isn't as bad as that pic Chem posted, the Doc says it will only get worse, and I might as well get it done while I still have full benefits (good insurance and enough sick time.)  He says I'll probabaly be completely down and out Friday and most of Saturday, scarfing down meds, so I'll be offline until Sunday.

#14 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:29 AM

Hmm, Sunday sure evolved into Tuesday quick.  Anyway, I'm back, a little worse for wear.  I don't even remember the surgery-one moment I'm cracking jokes with the anesthesiologist just as he's shooting Propifol into my IV line, the next moment I'm in the recovery room with my right foot bandaged from toe to ankle.  NOW I know why Michael Jackson loved his "Milk"-damn,talk about KTFO!

The podiatrist said it was a bit of work-breaking the first and second toes of the right foot, inserting pins in both, and reducing the bunion.  The second toe had been broken in a previous surgery 5 years ago and was "a mess" in my podiatirst's words.  The foot is bandaged up, I'm wearing an orthepedic shoe, and for moving any great distance I'm doing so on crutches.  During the day I'm up for an hour or two, then asleep for three or four hours, compliments of the Percocets the doctor prescribed.  I'll be doing this until next Thursday the 30th, when I see the doctor and have the bandages taken off.  At that point Doc decides if the pins come out of the toes and I get cleared for work-right now I have a 50-50 chance of being out another week, but we'll see.  Later, folks.

#15 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:33 AM

Get well quickly!

#16 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:56 AM

Thanks for the update.

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#17 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:05 PM

Well so far I'm hanging out at home resting, staying off the foot except for necessary limping, or to wherever the wife drives me to.  I'm still on antibiotics and will be for anither week or so-the foot is swollen and red around the incision sites, but the bunion is non-exisitent.  I see the podiatrist every 3-4 days to get the dresings changed and more Betadine applied.  Still not cleared for work, and probabaly won't be for another week at least.  Thank God for books and CD's from the library, or I'd be bored to death.

#18 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

My boss just went through this surgery, around the same timeline as you.  His wasn't as extreme (don't think he had hammer toes, just bad bunions(?)).  He's an older gentleman (55-ish) and seems to bet getting along well now, still with the boot on.  Hang in there!  :)

I had the same experience having surgery on my shoulder last year.  One moment I'm awake, the next the doctor is explaining what was done post-op.  Pretty crazy!

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#19 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

Just get well, PJ!  I had Plantar facsiitis one time in the mid '80s...my Dr said I had 'bruised' the main tendon on the bottom of my foot....a sharp rock I'd stepped on at the Plant's entrance....VERY painful indeed!

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#20 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:34 AM

Just get well, PJ!  I had Plantar facsiitis one time in the mid '80s...my Dr said I had 'bruised' the main tendon on the bottom of my foot....a sharp rock I'd stepped on at the Plant's entrance....VERY painful indeed!

YOW, my sister in AZ has told me of her ongoing problems with PF for years, definitely no fun.

As of last Thursday the main problem has been the swelling around an below the big and second toes and the forefoot.  It's looked a very angry red but the podiatrist said that's from swelling and not infection.  But due to that, still no clearance to work, and my boss is none to happy because we're already way short staffed (one of my co-workers had simultaneous wrist and knee surgery 16 months ago, and due to complications, she's still not back.  Because we're both on medical leave, getting a replacement worker is near impossible).  Hopefully with this Thursday's visit to the Doc I'll be healed enough to get back working. I'm bored to shit with recuperating, Karen is fed up with doing all the driving, and riding around in The Midgetmobile (1999 Honda CRV) is a pain-in the ass and other places!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users