#1 Trapped In Amber

Trapped In Amber

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

Hi,

Has anyone else read any of these books by Steven Erikson. Very impressive. I'm on the third

one out of the ten in the series. Vivid writer, very talented. IMHO pisses over the others cept for Tolk and Donaldson of course.

Well worth a try if u like fantasy novels. A real massive history of a huge empire.

#2 Zarathustra

Zarathustra

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

I like how you qualfied your praise in terms of Tolkien and Donaldson--two of my favorites.  I've only read the first book of this series, but I thought it was horrible.  Melodramatic D&D spectacle.  Not really a story, as much as lame attempts to present "badass" characters and scenes.   I couldn't connect with any of it.

However, I've heard that the other books are much better, and his first was written a decade before them.  Donaldson recommends him, so I should probably give it another try.  [Right now, I'm enjoying Donaldson's last book in the Last Chronicles, The Last Dark.] 

R. Scott Bakker is amazing.  If you like fantasy with a more philosophical foundation, I'd give his work a try.  Prince of Nothing series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users