Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,460 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-23827252

Thousands are gathering in the US capital to mark 50 years since Martin Luther King's famous "I have a dream" speech on civil rights.

Today's civil rights activists came to Washington with concerns that include jobs, voting rights and gun violence. They are marching to the Lincoln Memorial and a new monument, the Martin Luther King Jr Memorial.

Saturday's event is being led by the Rev Al Sharpton and King's son Martin Luther King III.

It comes a few days before the actual anniversary of the original march on 28 August 1963.

King, who was assassinated in 1968, led about 250,000 people to the Lincoln Memorial on the National Mall and delivered his famous speech from its steps.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character." he said, in one of the most celebrated pieces of American oratory.

Barack Obama, the first black US president, is due to commemorate the event on the anniversary itself with a speech from the same spot.

He will be joined by former Presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter, while churches and groups have been asked to ring bells at 15:00 (19:00 GMT) on Wednesday to mark the exact time King spoke.

Cool.

#2 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationBetween Chicago & Milwaukee

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

I have a hard time believing that Dr. King would have hung around with a scumbag like Al Sharpton.

#3 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Today's civil rights activists came to Washington with concerns that include jobs, voting rights and gun violence.

The might want to include a discussion on the current "thug culture" that has been so popular since 2009.

#4 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour [SIC] of their skin but by the content of their character." he said, in one of the most celebrated pieces of American oratory.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#5 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

It is interesting that the report indicates the attendance of Clinton and Carter at Obama's speech. It's rather not in the spirit of King's one America vision for the Bushes to not be invited as well. It's also likely a rather cynical expression of the Left's perceived "ownership" of the black vote.

I honestly hope I'm wrong and that the Bushes, or prominent black Republicans like Condi Rice and Herman Cain, will be invited.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#6 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

I honestly hope I'm wrong and that the Bushes, or prominent black Republicans like Condi Rice and Herman Cain, will be invited.

They wont be. Ever.

#7 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

A black kid asks his mother, "What's a democracy?"
"Well, son, that's when white folks work every day so we can get all our benefits,
you know like free cell phones for each family member, rent subsidy, food stamps,
WIC, free healthcare, utility subsidy, & the list goes on & on, you know".

"But mama, don't the white people get mad about that?

"Sure they do, that's called racism!"

#8 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

^ that's called racism.

#9 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

^ that's called racism.

I disagree.

And...I am not the author.

#10 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,460 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

^ that's called racism.

Concur.  That was racism all right.

#11 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:34 AM

Loathsome.

#12 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

It is interesting that the report indicates the attendance of Clinton and Carter at Obama's speech. It's rather not in the spirit of King's one America vision for the Bushes to not be invited as well. It's also likely a rather cynical expression of the Left's perceived "ownership" of the black vote.

Were they not invited, or were they invited but declined to attend?

• • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#13 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

Were they not invited, or were they invited but declined to attend?

That I don't know. Either would be disappointing.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#14 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

I have a hard time believing that Dr. King would have hung around with a scumbag like Al Sharpton.

Right, because there's such a huge difference between the two. Trust me, Hemi, your counterparts in '63 hated King just as much, and for the same reasons, as you hate Sharpton: black ministers stirring up the darkies with all their talk of the disparity between white and black America.

• • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#15 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:11 AM

Right, because there's such a huge difference between the two. Trust me, Hemi, your counterparts in '63 hated King just as much, and for the same reasons, as you hate Sharpton: black ministers stirring up the darkies with all their talk of the disparity between white and black America.

There is a huge difference between the two though. King had genuine motives and resonated with a lot of whites as well. Sharpton is a political opportunist with no real concern for the troubles black people face. 50 years from now no one will be commemorating anything to do with Sharpton, much less giving him his own holiday.

Hey...where's Perry?

#16 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:27 AM

I agree with ATW. King cared a great deal about his country, his countrymen, and his oppressed race. Sharpton cares a great deal about Sharpton.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#17 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,143 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:29 AM

I agree with ATW. King cared a great deal about his country, his countrymen, and his oppressed race. Sharpton cares a great deal about Sharpton.

QFT

I've listened to both enough to see that.  Not to mention Sharpton ruined a man's career and inflicted so much pain on another innocent person he committed suicide.  King was a good man, a great man actually.

#18 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:41 AM

Yes, the conservatives did fight Dr. King at every turn from what I know.

I'm not a Dr. King expert but I don't think he was anything like Al Sharpton and I also don't think there are too many things in common with Dr. King and Obama either.

And I dont think Dr. King has a history of shit stirring like Sharpton. Tawana Brawley for one....

There are probably a thousand better black men that could give a speech at the march but they had to go with Sharpton.

They are sending the wrong message as far as I am concerned, by having that piece of shit there.

#19 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:43 AM

There is a huge difference between the two though. King had genuine motives and resonated with a lot of whites as well. Sharpton is a political opportunist with no real concern for the troubles black people face. 50 years from now no one will be commemorating anything to do with Sharpton, much less giving him his own holiday.

Whether or not any of that is true, there were people who vilified King in exactly the same way, and for many of the same stated reasons, that Hemi vilifies Shartpon. I'm sure Sharpton has his white supporters as well.

We here in our times look back on King as a mild subversive, but he wasn't viewed as mild by many of the racists of his era.

• • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#20 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:10 AM

Well, I guess there was no mention of the thug culture in today's black youths.

King III said that there is still work to be done.

OK. What exactly still has to be done for racial equality in the United States?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users