#81 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

And England have declared on 391 leaving the crims needing 331 in this innings to survive. I hope we don't throw this away.

To make England bat again actually!  Let's see if we can win by an innings this morning.

So pleased for our Geordie Kiwi, getting boomerang swing both ways.

I wonder can we duff them up 4-1 now?  They seem unable to play the moving ball and have little test match situational awareness.  They're stuck in T20 mode - just try to bash their way out of trouble, but sometimes you have to dig in during a test and they aren't getting that into their heads.

#82 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:45 AM

Listened to all 40 minutes or so of it on my bike this morning, very entertaining. I must cultivate my interest in cricket. It's still rather foreign to me though other than the basics.

Here's a question that occurred to me as I pedalled toward Packington. I believe that the bowling changes ends every over, so that both batsmen have to face the ball. But the batsmen change ends on an odd number of runs. Is manipulating the number of runs - say only running for one instead of two - a recognised tactic, to favour one batsman over the other?

In other words - say you have two batsmen at the crease, Smith and Brown. Smith is better with the bat than Brown; perhaps Brown is the first of the tail enders.

Brown faces the first ball of the over, and gives it a good enough whack for two runs. Might they decide between them just to take one run so that they change ends, and Smith gets to bat for the rest of the over?

#83 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:20 PM

Listened to all 40 minutes or so of it on my bike this morning, very entertaining. I must cultivate my interest in cricket. It's still rather foreign to me though other than the basics.

Here's a question that occurred to me as I pedalled toward Packington. I believe that the bowling changes ends every over, so that both batsmen have to face the ball. But the batsmen change ends on an odd number of runs. Is manipulating the number of runs - say only running for one instead of two - a recognised tactic, to favour one batsman over the other?

In other words - say you have two batsmen at the crease, Smith and Brown. Smith is better with the bat than Brown; perhaps Brown is the first of the tail enders.

Brown faces the first ball of the over, and gives it a good enough whack for two runs. Might they decide between them just to take one run so that they change ends, and Smith gets to bat for the rest of the over?

When a team is down to a recognised batsman batting with the tail-enders, then the batsman will try and farm the strike as far as possible. I can't remember the actual details, but one batsman once scored over 50 runs whilst batting with the last man - who was promptly given out to the first ball he faced...

Gosh it's great to have the Ashes back :)

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#84 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:29 AM

That's the sort of thing.

I remember in 1984 When England had WI five wickets down for sixty.  Viv Richards batted with tailender Michael Holding (he of the Jamaican basso profundo, now a Sky commentator).  Viv hit three of the first four balls of an over for four or six, then took a single to leave Holding two balls to face.  Holding dutifuly blocked out the last two balls of each over.  On and on it went, and eventually Viv had 189 not out and had taken WI to a matchwinning total.

#85 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:01 PM

Please to see that we have won the ODI series and the T20 series.  I expected we would lose the tests, but losing the toss three times hardly helps in the UAE.

#86 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:48 PM

Please to see that we have won the ODI series and the T20 series.  I expected we would lose the tests, but losing the toss three times hardly helps in the UAE.

I'm always a bit suspicious of Pakistani one day cricket...

#87 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:40 PM

Bugger me sideways, England are in the T20 WC Final!

#88 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:47 PM

That's another final we're going to lose then...

Although Eoin Morgan has yet to come good. Could be interesting. Hopefully the WIndies will have a couple of days partying before Sunday.

#89 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:07 AM

I watched the Windies innings.  So good to see them knock those arrogant Indians out against the odds.

#90 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:12 PM

Let's hope the Windies Gayle doesn't blow again.

#91 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,310 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:53 PM

Yep, have to get Gayle out quick.

Bravo is really good at the death with his yorkers, but we have Stokes and Jordan to do that....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users