25 replies to this topic

#1 Trapped In Amber

Trapped In Amber

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Someone told me my new music reminded them of Rush, esp. guitar parts. And that's why I'm here. Haven't listened much to them recently, but I did check out Clockwork Angels the other day and thought it was a good record. I've been digging out a few old fave's though - Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Permanent Waves.

Here's a link to my music:

http://soundcloud.com/trapped-in-amber

Any comments? It's all work in progress at the moment :-)

Thanks,

TIA

#2 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Tumbleweed after the 2:00 mark has a nice feel.  Don't hear much Rush here though, not that it actually matters.  Maybe near the end with the heavier guitar playing along wit hthe groove.

The kick drums are over driving your mix (very audible distortion with each kick during louder passages).

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#3 Trapped In Amber

Trapped In Amber

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for your comments stoopid. Yeah someone said the guitars were Lifeson-y.

I don't hear any distortion on the kicks, but I'll check it out. EQing and Compression still

a complex subject for me.

#4 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

You may have over compressed.  What do you finalize the mix with?  Waves L3 Maximizer is probably best (and cheapest) home studio grade software for compressing available.

I find it's a lot harder to get hot with it than with, say, Sound Forge's compression ("Normalizer").

Also worth noting - anything under -10db RMS is likely to audibly distort at peaks.  I keep mine in the -11 to -14db range.  And even this isn't a steadfast rule, heavy bass parts can easily clip/distort at -15db RMS.  Sound on sound I think has some articles on the subject.  If you're doing your own mixing your music deserves a little time spent reading those free articles.  Homerecording.com is also a good site to get more knowledge on the subject if you're seeking it.

Hot is "in", but rarely does it actually sound good.

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#5 Trapped In Amber

Trapped In Amber

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

Thanks for the tips stoopid :)  - I shall look into it.

I've just listened to Tumbleweed again and have decided I'll take an objective

knife to it in a couple of weeks after having a break of not listening to it.

#6 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

Goddam just listened to Tumbleweed and Lava, Great stuff. You've got a very creative musical mind. So well executed too. Nothing feels awkward. Smooth as butter and as tasty too. And you are excellent with emotional tone as well. This is advanced modern composition with a professional sheen. If you're not on a label you really should be. 

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#7 Trapped In Amber

Trapped In Amber

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Three Eyes. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Your kind words are very encouraging  :D  :D

#8 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

On "Tumbleweed" and (Intro), the tune reminds me of "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)"-David Bowie from the soundtrack of the Movie. The Middle tune "Lava" is where The RUSH-like guitar resides, for me at least.  I love instrumental music and this sounds very good for being mostly keyboard related sounds.....I got a song on the old board that someone had gotten from a fellow student where he was taking classes in composition, and even though the guy played all the instruments 'analogaly' he couldn't sing to save his life, and the music was very sloppy.  Your music is very enjoyable to my thought!  Keep it up!  EnjoyCCola.jpg

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#9 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Because we're here.

• Trapped In Amber likes this

#10 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Mechanical music !   Good stuff Trapped.   Dont stay trapped !

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#11 Trapped In Amber

Trapped In Amber

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:48 AM

Hello ORF - thanks for listening.

I had a listen to Bowie's "Catpeople" and yes there are a couple of similar chord changes - well spotted  :P

Thanks too Bones. Comments really help me to be self-critical. I'm happy with Lava but I'll be making

a few changes to Tumbleweed.

#12 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

No problem!  I love intrumental music....After all this time, people still can't help, at times. to let little 'bits' of other compositions in to things they write.  I don't look at it as plagerism, more like an homage.....It's the old Vulcan belief, "Infinite Diversity in Infinite combinations" 

Keep it up, TIA!spock-smiley.giflaughingBangingtable.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

#13 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Nice work TIA! It's cool to hear some other synth-heavy music on CP. Most of the players on Rush forums tend to be guitarists, bassists and drummers rather than synth geeks, so it's not something I usually get to discuss much around here.

#14 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Dave, Some of my first Albums were Larry Fast's SYNERGY albums (I own all of them as far as I know), Always wanted "Switched On Bach" which I will eventually get.  Somehow. Isao Tomita is another performer I like in the Keyboard realm...Emerson, Lake & Palmer where my first PROG/Synth band....Love all the RUSH throughout their Synth period...I just LOVE SYNTHESIZERS!!!!! The Monkees and The Beatles were some of the very first mainstream rockers to use the Moog... I like Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Gary Wright's first solo of practically ALL KEYBOARDS, Ronnie Montrose provided the only guitar on the album, "Power Of Love" was the song....A guy from Canada, Nash The Slash, was a multi-instrumentalist that had a lot of synths and did a sampling/live playing 'one man band' thing in the early Eighties...gosh, such a diverse bunch of stuff! I LOVE IT!  band4.gif

"

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

#15 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 611 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Cool stuff!  Lava sounds like movie soundtrack material.

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#16 Trapped In Amber

Trapped In Amber

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Thanks Dave G and Mission position. I'll take a listen to your music when I have some time this week.

I love retro synths & retro drum machines so they are in. Guitar is my main instrument but I tend to use

it sparingly these days.

ORF - Yeah, coincidental harmonic similarities are hardly copying.

#17 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationBolton

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

They're both very pleasant and nicely realised but not necessarily songs that would inspire multiple listens. However Tumbleweed instantly made me think "TV Theme" and maybe that kind of commercial venture could be the way forward for you.
  • stoopid likes this
A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:48 AM

Thanks Dave G and Mission position. I'll take a listen to your music when I have some time this week.

I love retro synths & retro drum machines so they are in. Guitar is my main instrument but I tend to use

it sparingly these days.

ORF - Yeah, coincidental harmonic similarities are hardly copying.

Right. I hear the occasional influence of William Orbit and Daft Punk in these pieces and I wouldn't change a thing.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#19 Trapped In Amber

Trapped In Amber

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

They're both very pleasant and nicely realised but not necessarily songs that would inspire multiple listens. However Tumbleweed instantly made me think "TV Theme" and maybe that kind of commercial venture could be the way forward for you.

Hi Tony, thanks.

They will be songs with words and melodies, verses and choruses. (not so much Lava - that's more abstract)

I'm working on 4 pieces at the moment and when I'm happy with them I'll finish the words

which are just coming to me - jotting down phrases - but I knew what each song was to be about from the original idea.

TV themes? yes I know what you mean  :)

#20 Trapped In Amber

Trapped In Amber

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

I've re-worked "Tumbleweed" - tidied up the mix and added some cellos and a guitar squawk solo on the fade out:

http://soundcloud.co...bleweed-new-mix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users