Photo

E-books, tablets, and such: Best, worst etc.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

It's come to that point.  More  books I would like to read are not showing up as hard copy, either buyable retail or through the library.  I'm finally needing to explore the realm of E-books.  But how?

Nook vs Kindle?  Barnes & Noble vs other retailers?  I'm in the dark here!

Any advice forthe the bookworming Peeps is appreciated, Thanks!

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#2 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

Kindle Paperwhite is my preference. Not only easier to read than any LCD product, it's easier to read than actual printed books, in my experience. Self-lit, so no need for an additional light.

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#3 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Kindles are the de facto standard for e-books, not only because the technology is very good but because of the wealth of literature that Amazon offers.

#4 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

You can also load anything in PDF format on them (as can other readers, I'd imagine). Very handy feature.

#5 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

Have a Nook Color myself.  Also bought one for my daughter so she wouldn't have to lug her books back and forth for college.

I'm happy with it, and she is as well.  In fact, I got her hers first after asking her which e-reader she preferred.  She was happy with it, and that's when I bought mine.

As for availability of e-books in .epub format (what the Nook uses), it doesn't really matter as there are several free apps that can convert from Kindle to Nook to whatever format you wish.  Knowing that, IMO, it's basically down to extra features and/or price, and not so much on availability of titles for a given format.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
English is the result of Norman men at arms trying to get dates with Saxon barmaids and is as legitimate as any other outcome of that activity. ~ H. Beam Piper.

#6 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

I have only one proprietary reader that I use with regularity - the Sony reader. I like it because I can buy books directly from the publisher or through other third-party stores and read them, though it requires side-loading.

I do most of my reading, however, on a Samsung Android Tablet where I have several reading apps loaded - Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Overdrive (mainly for library books), and Aldiko Reader for eBooks I purchase from other third-party stores or Gutenberg or direct from the author/publisher. The battery life isn't as long as it would be with a Kindle, but I find it more convenient for me.

I suppose it depends on your preferences. If you don't want to be bothered with plugging a reader into a computer to download books, I would go with a Kindle. With B&N/Nook in trouble, I'm not sure I'd personally invest in one.

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#7 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Kindle on an Ipad mostly, or other reading apps for non-Amazon.  I like the multifunction device because I don't have to carry another.  The straight Kindle and the Kobo I had were better as far as being easier on the eyes but I can't justify carrying another device.

#8 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

I'd avoid B&N. The kindle is fine. Avoid the color/LCD tablet route, trying to read them in sunlight is horrific.

• Slut Puppy likes this

Those who know what's best for us...

#9 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

Thanks all.  Karen has been jonesing about getting a tablet, so it looks like that will be the route.

Re the B & N mess, I've noticed things getting dodgy at a couple of their retail outlets for a while now, so I wouldn't rule out a full blown implosion.

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#10 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

I have never used any other, so I can't really say how they compare but I have been very happy with my Kindle.

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#11 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet that is just awesome.  You can use it for a bazillion things and load all kinds of reading apps on it.

That's the route I'd go...

#12 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationThe French part of Compton

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

I don't know, I like actual *books*.

"The best response to those who wound me is to get away from themand wish them well." —Neil Peart

~"Feeling lonely and content at the same time, I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" —Nightwish~

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

(Ahem...I know Rush has songs in 4/4, but I did not make this meme. I just think it's funny. So please stop pointing this out to me! Thanks.)

Me and the Grace Under Pressure background...forever destined to be parted.

#13 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

I don't like actual books. They take up too much space and deteriorate. They honestly feel to me like a third-rate way to own a title now.

As much as I like LCD tablets for Internet access and watching videos, and I've been putting my Android tablet to excellent use while I've been on holiday, I would only use a proper e-paper device for reading, especially in bright light. Spent a happy hour or two reading James Garner's autobiography in the garden of the hotel here earlier.

#14 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

I would only use a proper e-paper device for reading, especially in bright light.

QFR

#15 Digital Sam

Digital Sam

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationSunny Western NY

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:44 PM

The Kindle Paperwhite is easier to read than a standard book, and has a better battery life than the other devices out there. If you read a lot, and that's all you want a device for, go that route/ If you want to do other things like play games, and surf the internet, AND you don't plan on reading a lot, go with the Fire or and Android tablet. All are very good products.

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]if you trust in yourself...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and believe in your dreams...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and follow your star...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.[/color]

#16 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Someone needs to make a medium sized tablet with e-ink on one side and LCD on the other. Also, it should have a detachable keyboard and function as a traditional laptop.

Those who know what's best for us...

#17 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

Yeah, actual books take up space and all of that, but I don't know, I feel like getting a Kindle will be yet another thing I have that is reliant on an electrical outlet. Actual books can be read anytime and for as long as you want without worrying about battery life. That wins all the points with me.

"The best response to those who wound me is to get away from themand wish them well." —Neil Peart

~"Feeling lonely and content at the same time, I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" —Nightwish~

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

(Ahem...I know Rush has songs in 4/4, but I did not make this meme. I just think it's funny. So please stop pointing this out to me! Thanks.)

#18 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

But not anywhere. I've brought about 30 books here to La Rochelle without even intending to. Old books are just too impractical I'm afraid. Can't change the font, can't shop for new books on them and only one title per crude, bulky device.

#19 MaxxQ

MaxxQ

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:48 AM

I also like normal books.  My Nook is great for reading on the go, but there's nothing like holding dead tree pulp in your hand when at home relaxing.

Besides, they look pretty damn impressive all lined up neatly and alphabetically on the shelves, which don't take up much space at all - 5 feet high, 6 feet wide, and 8 inches deep doesn't exactly use up a lot of floor space, and the wall is cinder block, so anything which covers as much of that as possible is fine with me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
English is the result of Norman men at arms trying to get dates with Saxon barmaids and is as legitimate as any other outcome of that activity. ~ H. Beam Piper.

#20 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

True, you can't read a book in the dark. But my other favorite hobby is sleeping, so it all works out in the end.

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users