Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

1  The Catcher in the Rye.

To quote Parker & Stone:  "it's some whiny teenager whining about how lame he is."

2  Catch-22

Is this supposed to be funny?  It's horrible.  Brilliant satire on military bureacracy, but horrible.

3  Moby-Dick

How boring was that????

4  On the Road

Unreadable.

5  A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Took me a year and still couldn't finish it.  Reading it was like being tortured.  And that's supposed to be the easy one.   Absolutely no point me attempting Ulysses, then.

And, before you start on me for being anti-Seppo-lit, The Killer Angels and The Grapes of Wrath are my favourite books.  So there.

#2 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

I've read the first two and agree about both.
  • Moving Target likes this

#3 Soddy

Soddy

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Tropic of Cancer - never finished it. Found it boring.

Got about fifty pages into Les Miserables and had to put it down.

Please buy my books so I can send my girl to a decent school.

http://www.kathrynlively.com

#4 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Bleak House. I'd read and enjoyed some shorter Dickens such as Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Cities so I thought I'd try one of the larger classics but I hated it and disliked all of the characters. I gave up after a few chapters.

#5 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Catcher in the Rye.

#6 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Got about fifty pages into Les Miserables and had to put it down.

Loved it, though I tried a well-recommended abridgement.

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#7 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

1  The Catcher in the Rye.

To quote Parker & Stone:  "it's some whiny teenager whining about how lame he is."

This would be a good review of Shakespeare's Hamlet too.  Granted, Hamlet is gorgeously written, so it would be hard to completely dismiss it, but man the plot is lame!  I love reading excerpts of Hamlet, but watching a production of it usually leaves me feeling unimpressed.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#8 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Loved it, though I tried a well-recommended abridgement.

Read the original in a 3-day binge and really liked it.  Thought it was light years better than the musical, though I rate the musical highly.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#9 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

The Da Vinci Code....never finished it....

Proud Knobhead

#10 Julie

Julie

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

Are people supposed to like The DaVinci Code?  :huh:

Never liked any Neil Peart books, if that qualifies!!!  :lol:

• RushDoggie likes this

#11 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

I read mostly science-fiction when I read fiction.  Some authors people seem to like never "took" for me:

Stephen Baxter - Got about 100 pages into Voyage and realized I hated it.

Gregory Benford - He got the otherwise decent Second Foundation Trilogy off to an abominable start with Foundation's Fear.  His book Cosm was okay.

Connie Willis - One of the few female grand-masters of sf, I only got through 80 pages of Bellwether before chucking it from boredom.

Also, although I love Arthur C. Clarke, I hate every book he collaborated with Gentry Lee on. 

LYqbjSn.jpg

#12 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Masked Rider, I had a really hard time getting through. Ghost Rider was somehting else entirely.. the 2 hours to read that book just flew by.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#13 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:05 AM

Ender's Game.  The only parts of the whole series, looking back, that were any good were Xenocide and Children of the Mind.  Those had some really cool moments.  But much of the Ender and Bean sagas, especially when they're younger, is just nerd revenge fantasy.  Which doesn't do anything for me.

Just about anything by Arthur C. Clarke.  Gets way too far up his own ass half the time.  Preachy as hell.  

#14 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:15 AM

Ender's Game.  The only parts of the whole series, looking back, that were any good were Xenocide and Children of the Mind.  Those had some really cool moments.  But much of the Ender and Bean sagas, especially when they're younger, is just nerd revenge fantasy.  Which doesn't do anything for me.

Just about anything by Arthur C. Clarke.  Gets way too far up his own ass half the time.  Preachy as hell.  

I enjoyed Ender's quite a lot (keeping my hopes low for the film though), but gave up on book 2 within a couple of chapters. Speaker for the Dead or some such?

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#15 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:18 AM

Speaker was crap, and Xeno took a while to get going, but by the end of the trilogy it was readable.

But I shouldn't have to read two and a half books before your series is "readable."

Seriously, nobody should buy Card's garbage.

I don't even take issue with his books because he's a culturally-Imperialist homophobe.  I take issues with them because they suck.  The fact that I personally dislike the author is icing on the cake.

#16 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:47 AM

Maybe try Rendezvous with Rama.  The later Rama books were preachy, but the first was just a non-stop joy.

But I agree with you about Ender's Game.  I've read other stuff by Card that I like, but I never understood the love for this kiddish book.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#17 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

The Fountainhead.  Ugh.

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#18 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

The Handmaid's Tale.

It just stopped without an ending.

Argh.

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#19 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

The Fountainhead.  Ugh.

Love that book.  Why didn't you like it?

#20 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

I enjoyed Ender's Game but there were some moments of really shitty writing.

I recall a part in the book when Ender and her sister were drumming up support "online" for some kind of political thing (can't quite remember what).  Instead of illustrating how Ender's sister drummed up support in detail, he just summed it up in the laziest way.  I'm going to have to dig out the specific passage, but I recall it being very shitty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users