Photo

Help Me Through This One Peeps (graphic content)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

http://www.youtube.c...BZr4ie2AE#at=38

Dog dies at 3:15.  It's brutal.

Right down the street from my house.

Help me rationalize this---to me, on its face, this is an example of police terror, and the shitty nanny state we're devolving into.

Talk me off the ledge please.

These people are supposed to protect us?  Do they even give a flying fuck?

I understand that this is an issue that goes deeper than the actions depicted above, and that police find themselves with their hands tied, but that's the whole problem isn't it---this is an institutional issue.

#2 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,605 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:44 AM

I can't look at that but I get it. Idiot cops a couple years ago told a man to remove his dog from his backyard so they could search it for some criminal that was on the run in the area. The owner asked them if he could first go into his house and get a leash but for some reason the cops told him no. So he tries to take his dog someplace else without a leash but it escapes into the street (I'm guessing through a gate the cops had opened.) The cops had their own dog on hand and of course this dog charges it. Without so much as a second thought the cops shoot the dog in the head. Afterwards they didn't have the decency to say a single word of condolence to the man. I know not all cops are insensitive neanderthals but they sure were in this case. Sorry for being a pansie animal lover. I'm sure this thread has a bright future.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#3 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:49 AM

I refuse to click that link.
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#4 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:05 AM

i can't get the video to work dear- i just looked at an article and it said the guy was yelling something to the cops?

i can't tell from the articles i find how close the dog got. if the dog was aggressive, and if the man was aggressive and yelling at the cops when he was filming them, their justification in shooting the dog may come from that. as cops, they have a human arrest to take care of, and no, the concern for the dog will be secondary if they perceive a thread. they can't have the dog distracting them from what the man was doing. the cops may like dogs just fine, but if the scene was chaotic, then they have to make a choice quickly. if the dog was barking and jumping around, then they probably didn't give a fuck, no. 

I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but i can't say otherwise till i can watch/hear the video. do you know anything about why the SWAT team wanted at the house? that could be a potentially lethal situation. the cops have to give that their attention. they also probably didn't want the photography either, obviously.

I don't know, but it's been said: You do or don't and then you're dead
So climb away, get higher, son- never straight, just move ahead
Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

3eebf325-0d00-4d61-8f78-ecc2e0d4f04a.jpg

#5 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

ok, 3-eyes wrote his reply before i finished my post.

edit- and this is what happened with the vid: (from the FB page Photography is not a Crime)

PINAC crashed after thousands of readers tried to check out the following video.

So much for Amazon hosting.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=l0isxv2jnIo

Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

#6 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,533 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:19 AM

I can't watch this video either, but I've been seeing it mentioned around various interwebs places.  

There have been a number of cops killing dog stories in the last year or two.  Some happening here in Austin.  

It makes me wonder about humans, though.  While I don't delight in it, I can watch terrible things happening to humans at the hands of other humans.  But when you enter helpless critters into the mix, it's off limits.  That kind of shit you can't unsee.  

#7 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:20 AM

Don't know why they saw fit to handcuff the guy, but I can sort of understand shooting the dog.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#8 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:10 AM

I think watching the video will add a good deal of context to where I'm coming from. The whole scene plays out on camera and to me, it just looks like the blatant killing of an animal, and an egregious arrest.

#9 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,533 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:31 AM

Well fuck, I watched it.

Something more, a lot more, is going on here.  The guy with the half-pants just gave up.  

Sucks to see such a great dog get shot, but like I said, there's a lot more shit going on here.  The cops were just watching out for themselves.  

Why did gangster half-pants guy put his dog away and just surrender?  

#10 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:16 AM

My issue isn't really with the cop shooting the dog. I understand the dog was protecting it's owner, but when it comes down to it the dog was being aggressive and lunged at an officer. It was terrible to witness it, but I understand why the cop did it. I want to know why the man was being arrested. He didn't seem to be doing anything wrong. There were at least 2 other people filming within 15 to 30 feet of him. It seems that he did the right thing by putting the dog in the car and surrendering to the officers. Like a couple others said, there is probably more to the story that we don't know.

#11 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

Yep  it was cruel  but the cop was defending himself.   One thing   tho...the dog was suffering and everyone was watching.  :shrug:    What kind of gun did the cop use?  

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#12 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

There's a bit more backstory to this.  Looks like the officer in question has a bit of a past.  Something about a mentally retarded man dying some years ago, and a pending lawsuit for a broken rib to an innocent "suspect."
So the officer is kind of a dick.  Not too far from most officers, in my experience.

I grew up with a cop for a dad, and met a bunch of the people on the force in a somewhat social situation.  Hearing them talk about their families, and about what happened at work, they seemed to power trip hard on what they could do with people.

One of the guys on bike patrol talked glowingly about one time when he got to beat the crap out of a guy because the guy was ignoring him.  "Turns out the guy was deaf," he said...  and then laughed.  No "I feel bad about it, if I'd have known I wouldn't have..."  Just laughed it off.

Those are the kinds of people who "protect and serve."

It's hard to respect the police.  ESPECIALLY post-9/11, when they've been getting increasingly militarized.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#13 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

The guy was certainly listening to the cops and cooperating. He had every right to be there video taping. I feel that the cops should have taken that into consideration.

#14 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

I think watching the video will add a good deal of context to where I'm coming from. The whole scene plays out on camera and to me, it just looks like the blatant killing of an animal, and an egregious arrest.

It was definitely a blatant killing of an animal. The question is, I guess, was it justified? Looking at it from the cop's perspective, the dog is an unknown variable (and a large breed unknown variable at that), and while the dog wasn't acting particularly aggressive (unless barking from the car is aggressive), it did jump up at the cop. It may well have been jumping up at the cop to give him a kiss, but the cop can't know that and so reacted out of fear, like any of us. Unlike any of us, the cop was armed and in what appears to be an already tense situation. Also, the cops saw the guy put his dog in the car and they may have thought the guy did that because he was worried the dog would get aggressive.

• • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#15 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

I want to know why the man was being arrested. He didn't seem to be doing anything wrong.

Was he being arrested or was he just being restrained until it could be ascertained what he was up to?

• • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#16 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

Yep  it was cruel  but the cop was defending himself.   One thing   tho...the dog was suffering and everyone was watching.  :shrug:    What kind of gun did the cop use?  

Those weren't perfect shots. ;)

• • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#17 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:25 PM

Was he being arrested or was he just being restrained until it could be ascertained what he was up to?

I would say he was being restrained mostly because he had the audacity to look at them intently instead of cower away in deference to their authority. Plus he was black.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#18 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,897 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:49 AM

This happens a lot.  Sad really.  :(

#19 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

I saw it last night. A nice illustration of why I'd hate to see the police armed in this country.

#20 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

There's a bit more backstory to this.  Looks like the officer in question has a bit of a past.  Something about a mentally retarded man dying some years ago, and a pending lawsuit for a broken rib to an innocent "suspect."
So the officer is kind of a dick.  Not too far from most officers, in my experience.

I grew up with a cop for a dad, and met a bunch of the people on the force in a somewhat social situation.  Hearing them talk about their families, and about what happened at work, they seemed to power trip hard on what they could do with people.

One of the guys on bike patrol talked glowingly about one time when he got to beat the crap out of a guy because the guy was ignoring him.  "Turns out the guy was deaf," he said...  and then laughed.  No "I feel bad about it, if I'd have known I wouldn't have..."  Just laughed it off.

Those are the kinds of people who "protect and serve."

It's hard to respect the police.  ESPECIALLY post-9/11, when they've been getting increasingly militarized

They're not all like that and you know it.

Anyways, so where was the dog when it was shot? back in the car or out? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users