#41 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationThe French part of Compton

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hey Howler, you make your own hook-ups. I don't play on that side of the fence, but I've actually met Cristina on more than one occasion and her photos don't nearly do her justice.

"The best response to those who wound me is to get away from themand wish them well." —Neil Peart

~"Feeling lonely and content at the same time, I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" —Nightwish~

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

(Ahem...I know Rush has songs in 4/4, but I did not make this meme. I just think it's funny. So please stop pointing this out to me! Thanks.)

Me and the Grace Under Pressure background...forever destined to be parted.

#42 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

Went out to see Spock's Beard last night and most enjoyable they were too! Didn't realise that Ryo Okumoto would be so entertaining, the guy's a loon - he even shook my hand - but he lost points by wanting a pint of Tetrey's. Glad I bought a copy of the new album, because (a.) it's not bad and (b.) they played most of it!

For a truly Pogonic evening, support came from Swedes Beardfish, who did three songs in their half an hour - well Prog!

I only caught the last song of opening act Sound of Contact. I was surprised by how many folk were in there to see them, but I have since found it's Phil Collins' lad's band.

Here's some Spock:

And here's some Beardfish:

• grep likes this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#43 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:13 AM

New Beard Good. :)

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#44 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:16 AM

I saw Riverside tonight in Dunnelin, NJ. At a little bar that I've driven past 1000 times on my way to work, and never noticed before.  LOL.

It was nice. Riverside simply kicked ass. Besides some minor tech issues, they played fiahtfully to their records.  I'm still processing the overall goodness of the show.... More later this week, with a few pics.

If they happen to be coming near you on this limited little US tour, I highly reccomend getting out to see them. You won't be disappointed.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#45 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Saw some Canuck beat combo called Rush yesterday. I don't think they'll get very far...

#46 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationThe French part of Compton

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:29 AM

LOL.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I saw Spock's Beard live twice and didn't think much of them. Sorry.

"The best response to those who wound me is to get away from themand wish them well." —Neil Peart

~"Feeling lonely and content at the same time, I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" —Nightwish~

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

(Ahem...I know Rush has songs in 4/4, but I did not make this meme. I just think it's funny. So please stop pointing this out to me! Thanks.)

Me and the Grace Under Pressure background...forever destined to be parted.

#47 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:40 AM

Silversun Pickups earlier in the month. The opening bands were ok. Silversun was great.

#48 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

The missus dragged me out to see the Moodies last night. They weren't too bad actually even if they are Rock music for people who don't like ROCK!

It was the first time I've felt young at a concert since I saw Priest in '78, I've never seen so many people at a concert in wheelchairs or walking with sticks and where shoes with Velcro fastenings seemed to be de rigueur. There were loads of post-menopausal women there fawning over Justin, the air was a seething mass of hormone replacements! 

Always good to visit Sheffield City Hall - where Rush first played the UK - a damn fine venue in a shitty city.

• DarthLen likes this

#49 Deep Release

Deep Release

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationYardville, NJ

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

Only because I have a season pass to Great Adventure, and it cost me nothing, I had a little 'me' time to end my Father's DAy Festivities taking a stroll down Memory Lane:

484776_10201543266250046_1373543784_n.jp

hemispheres.jpg

#50 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

Only because I have a season pass to Great Adventure, and it cost me nothing,

That's a ringing endorsement. lol.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#51 BinFrog

BinFrog

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

I saw Tommy Emmanuel the other night. The guy is not only a beast on guitar, but a true showman. Phenomenal.

#52 BinFrog

BinFrog

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

#53 Deep Release

Deep Release

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationYardville, NJ

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

That's a ringing endorsement. lol.

Here's another... Only because I won the tickets by being the 13th caller [which entered me to win a Harley Davidson], I'm going to see ZZ Top, Kool & the Gang, and Kid Rock tonight.

I'm actually very interested to see Kool & the Gang...

hemispheres.jpg

#54 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

Shedloads of jazz bands over the weekend, including Esperanza Spalding and Marcus Miller.

The Who last night.

#55 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Went out to see the mighty 'wind last Friday night at Holmfirth Picturedrome. The venue is one of the oldest cinemas in the UK and Holmfirth is the setting of the world's longest running sitcom, Last of the Summer Wine. A town which always looks dour and dingy, but last night in the summer sunshine the cleaned up gritstone buildings glowed like a Tuscan hill town.

Support came from Tim Blake, nothing like keeping it in the family, who was standing outside the venue when I got there with Niall Hone and Richard Chadwick having a fag and beer, would that you could come across Rush like that! Anyhoo, Tim does a good impression of a low-rent Jean-Michel Jarre - complete with ail on his Theremin.

Hawkwind themselves started off with Master of the Universe, Steppenwolf  and The Hills Have ears before performing all of their Meisterwerk Warrior on the edge of Time. Of course it wasn't quite the same as the album version, but it was sound enough and enlivened by the two dancers/stilt walkers waving Elric style swords and battleaxes about, Manowar eat your heart out.

The set was wrapped up with Assassins of Allah, Seasons and You'd Better Believe It, encores of The Only Ones from the Hawklords album and a dedicated to Lemmy Motorhead followed, these necessitated using the Hawkwind song book for the lyrics!

All in all a good night out, recommended.

#56 snowcat

snowcat

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Terrific gig last Sunday by Mogwai, good review by The Herald below 

Rare is the opportunity to linger unsheltered beneath Glasgow skies without either shivering or getting drookit

Rare is the opportunity to linger unsheltered beneath Glasgow skies without either shivering or getting drookit.

Rarer still is the chance to experience what our continental cousins take for granted while feasting on a sublime piece of filmmaking with a live soundtrack by Glasgow's masters of mood and menace, 
Mogwai.

But here in the balmy if breezy gloaming, a 2000-strong melange of art types, Mogwai disciples and sundry hipsters have gathered in a makeshift open-air space wedged between the Kingston Bridge and shiny office blocks.

<p>While helicopters periodically strafe the heavens, the seated members of Mogwai weave their magic as the screen above shows Douglas Gordon and Phillippe Pareno's beguiling study of one of football's greats.</p>< p>Any assessment predicated on separating the music from the absorbing images it accompanies would be futile, so interdependent 
are they. </p>< p>The result is that at no point does this feel like a conventional concert, at least not until the film concludes and the group reappear for a blast through Helicon 1, How To Be A Werewolf and Glasgow Mega-Snake, the heat of which asks questions the PA is ill-equipped to answer.</p>< p>There's an irony in the fact those in attendance are missing the penultimate episode in the Mogwai-soundtracked French TV series The Returned. </p>< p>That skulking, entropic music is prefigured in Zidane, its palette honed further in The Singing Mountain, a sound installation written for Gordon and Olaf Nicolai's Monument For A Forgotten Future. </p>< p>And for one night in Glasgow, the ambition and fidelity to the artistic purpose that run through all three is brought to life by the banks of the Clyde. Extraordinary.</p>< p>HHHH</p>

While helicopters periodically strafe the heavens, the seated members of Mogwai weave their magic as the screen above shows Douglas Gordon and Phillippe Pareno's beguiling study of one of football's greats.

Any assessment predicated on separating the music from the absorbing images it accompanies would be futile, so interdependent 
are they.

The result is that at no point does this feel like a conventional concert, at least not until the film concludes and the group reappear for a blast through Helicon 1, How To Be A Werewolf and Glasgow Mega-Snake, the heat of which asks questions the PA is ill-equipped to answer.

There's an irony in the fact those in attendance are missing the penultimate episode in the Mogwai-soundtracked French TV series The Returned.

That skulking, entropic music is prefigured in Zidane, its palette honed further in The Singing Mountain, a sound installation written for Gordon and Olaf Nicolai's Monument For A Forgotten Future.

And for one night in Glasgow, the ambition and fidelity to the artistic purpose that run through all three is brought to life by the banks of the Clyde. Extraordinary.

#57 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Saw the Psychedelic Furs last week.  Very good show, but no Sister Europe. 

Other than that, it was most excellent.

#58 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'm checking out Andy Summers' new band Circa Zero tomorrow night.  Emmanuell Caplett plays drums for them too--check her out online if you can.

#59 BinFrog

BinFrog

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Buddy of mine took me to see one of his favorite bands last night: Big Country.  It's sort of a mashup at this point, with only 2 original members, but it was quite fun.  Lots of energy and although the show was very short, I had a good time.

#60 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

Went out to see Mad Michael Schenker's Temple of ROCK last night. He may look like the examination entry of a trainee embalmer, but boy can he still play!

Can't believe it was the first time I'd ever seen him live! Most times I've supposed to have seen him he's dropped off the wagon!

The setlist was manly Scorpions and UFO based with a few MSG cuts and even a new track. On a steamy night in Sheffield I sweat so much that I was wetter than a young girl in her prime!

It was good to see the old Scorps rhythm section of Francis Bucholz and Herman ze German, Herr Bucholz was looking remarkably good, to say that it's 34 years since I first saw him.

A heads up to the support act Virgil and the Accelerators a young power-trio with a very muppet like drummer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users