#381 bytor11

bytor11

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationChicago 'Burb

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:17 PM

Actually went to a gig last night, first one in nearly a year! 'Twas Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets at Nottingham's Theatre Royal Concert Hall.

If you like early Floyd - and I do - then if the show comes your way then go and see it. You won't be disappointed, even if one of the guitarists is Gary Kemp from Spandau Ballet, I never knew he could channel David "Don't Call me Dave" Gilmour. Bass was provided by latterday semi-Floydian and Gilmour cohort Guy Pratt.

It was worth it for the opening three songs - Interstellar Overdrive, Astronomy Domine and Lucifer Sam - we also got Arnold Layne, See Emily Play, Fearless, If/Atom Heart Mother Medley, One of these Days, Bike and many more including my personal fave: Vegetable Man! Man, I partied like it was some time between 1966 and 1972, we got nothing later than the Obscured by Clouds album.

Mrs Slikk enjoyed it too, even though she's been suffering from a torn retina of late and was worried that the strobe lights might make a blood vessel pop again - if it does she has to have her eyeball drained...

Eyeball drained?!?!?!?! Sounds about as awful as early Floyd, heyyyyyooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#382 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:58 PM

I went to see Nine Inch Nails at the Kings Theater in Brooklyn last night.  As always, one of my absolute favorite bands to see live.  Flawless sound, amazing lights show, and nothing short of incredible musicianship.  Trent sounded amazing and the band was on fire!  Setlists are hard to predict because they're changing things up nightly, but we got an incredible set that leaned heavily on the earlier part of the catalog, Pretty Hate Machine/Downward Spiral, but with a great mix of career spanning songs.  Highlights for me were finally seeing The Perfect Drug live, the new song, God Break Down The Door, Trent's crooning/saxophone playing homage to Bowie, and Wish, always a personal favorite and heavy AF.  What a phenomenal performance, and a treat to see them in a gorgeous theater!  My one regret is only getting tickets to one of the four local shows this week, they played two nights at Radio City Music Hall over the weekend, and back at Kings Theater again tonight, every one sold out...  Oh well. 

The Jesus and Mary Chain opened, not as familiar, but they were really good, dark, moody, and tight, and apparently one of those bands whose influence on a genre transcends the number of songs I was familiar with.

#383 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 05:49 PM

Elton John   October 6th, 2018    The old Boston Garden.

Boston.  

ELTON JOHN -- 50 YEARS ON, AND HE'S STILL GOT IT.

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#384 bytor11

bytor11

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationChicago 'Burb

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:25 PM

I went to see Nine Inch Nails at the Kings Theater in Brooklyn last night.  As always, one of my absolute favorite bands to see live.  Flawless sound, amazing lights show, and nothing short of incredible musicianship.  Trent sounded amazing and the band was on fire!  Setlists are hard to predict because they're changing things up nightly, but we got an incredible set that leaned heavily on the earlier part of the catalog, Pretty Hate Machine/Downward Spiral, but with a great mix of career spanning songs.  Highlights for me were finally seeing The Perfect Drug live, the new song, God Break Down The Door, Trent's crooning/saxophone playing homage to Bowie, and Wish, always a personal favorite and heavy AF.  What a phenomenal performance, and a treat to see them in a gorgeous theater!  My one regret is only getting tickets to one of the four local shows this week, they played two nights at Radio City Music Hall over the weekend, and back at Kings Theater again tonight, every one sold out...  Oh well. 

The Jesus and Mary Chain opened, not as familiar, but they were really good, dark, moody, and tight, and apparently one of those bands whose influence on a genre transcends the number of songs I was familiar with.

NIN Is sooooo good live, I've seen them twice and both were spectacular shows. The second time a few years back, probably 7-10 years since first seeing them, when they co-headlined with Soundgarden was a truly epic show. Soundgarden put on a great show ahd while admittedly only a casual NIN fan, I wasn't sure NIN could bring enough to match SG. They did and then some, and it was clear as fuck that the crowd was there for NIN. The energy was off the charts, it was already high from SG and NIN brought the crowd to heights of ecstasy. whoooooooooo that was a top tier night

#385 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:31 PM

NIN Is sooooo good live, I've seen them twice and both were spectacular shows. The second time a few years back, probably 7-10 years since first seeing them, when they co-headlined with Soundgarden was a truly epic show. Soundgarden put on a great show ahd while admittedly only a casual NIN fan, I wasn't sure NIN could bring enough to match SG. They did and then some, and it was clear as fuck that the crowd was there for NIN. The energy was off the charts, it was already high from SG and NIN brought the crowd to heights of ecstasy. whoooooooooo that was a top tier night

I saw that tour too, at the PNC Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ.  Love both bands forever, so it was indeed a stellar night!  SG was fantastic, but Trent brings an unparalleled precision and intensity to NIN shows that's maybe impossible to top.

#386 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

I think we can admit that SG was a bit passed their sell - by date.

NiN seems to elevate their performances - always in a state of growth and risk taking.

#387 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:00 PM

I think we can admit that SG was a bit passed their sell - by date.

Agreed, but at the time I had hoped SG was in the process of reinventing themselves for a new phase.  Their "comeback" album was less than stellar, but I still had hopes for them.

#388 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:30 PM

Past their sell-by date?

Passed their sell-by date?

#gettingdumber

#389 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,997 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:42 AM

Just back from Metallica. Great show, they sounded fantastic.

falconext.png

#390 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:32 AM

Went out to see King Crimson last night.

Most Excellent.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#391 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:03 PM

Saw Joan Jett and Morrissey-

Joan was pretty good! Band was a bunch of plug and play guys who were not bad but not particularly impressive either.
She had her producer, manager, keyboard player Kenny Laguna on stage with her - he looks, dresses and speaks like an old NY banker and he actually added much needed character to the performance. He looked cooler than the the guys with the “crazy hair” and guyliner anyway.

Joan sounded great, but did not look too good. Some bad Botox or something going on. One eye wasn’t closing so every time she blinked, she was actually winking. Yikes.

Morrissey- that dude can sing. Band was most excellent- especially Boz Boorman and Matt Walker. Killer performance.

#392 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:04 PM

Went out to see King Crimson last night.
Most Excellent.

They are so good right now - I saw them 3 years ago and they blew my mind. Why they’re not playing arenas or bigger sheds is shocking.

#393 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,192 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:25 PM

Saw Joan Jett and Morrissey-

Joan was pretty good! Band was a bunch of plug and play guys who were not bad but not particularly impressive either.
She had her producer, manager, keyboard player Kenny Laguna on stage with her - he looks, dresses and speaks like an old NY banker and he actually added much needed character to the performance. He looked cooler than the the guys with the “crazy hair” and guyliner anyway.

Joan sounded great, but did not look too good. Some bad Botox or something going on. One eye wasn’t closing so every time she blinked, she was actually winking. Yikes.

Morrissey- that dude can sing. Band was most excellent- especially Boz Boorman and Matt Walker. Killer performance.

What an odd pairing.  JJ and Morrissey on the same bill?

I saw JJ open for Boston (what's left of Boston) a year ago.  She's definitely still got it.  Yeah, she should probably lay off the botox but getting old is a bitch I guess.

#394 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:42 PM

What an odd pairing. JJ and Morrissey on the same bill?

I saw JJ open for Boston (what's left of Boston) a year ago. She's definitely still got it. Yeah, she should probably lay off the botox but getting old is a bitch I guess.

Yeah double bill. Worked very well, though Morrissey gave her literally 1/10th of the stage space.

Morrissey has some earlier solo material that is pretty rockabilly - so the pairing matched up pretty well.

#395 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:06 PM

This last Friday I fulfilled my New Gold Dream.  After being a huge Simple Minds since the early 80s, I finally got to see them live.  They did a deep dive into their catalog, Up on the Catwalk, Waterfront, The American, Theme for Great Cities...oh my.  It was an incredible show.  I was just about on the rail for the second set.  Jim Kerr acknowledged me a few times.  If you think SM are all about Alive and Kicking, check out Sister Feelings Call/Sons and Fascination, New Gold Dream, Sparkle in the Rain.  They mid-late stuff is also awesome, but different.  They had much more of an edge in the early/mid 80s.  So much great music and such an amazing night...

#396 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:11 AM

They are so good right now - I saw them 3 years ago and they blew my mind. Why they’re not playing arenas or bigger sheds is shocking.

I'd say they're better now than three years ago.

I saw them again tonight in Nottingham. They were on another level to last night (Level 5?)

Set 2 killed. Possibly the most perfect 90 minutes of music I've ever seen!

Not a spoiler as every night is different:

One More Red Nightmare

Red

Moonchild

The Court of the Crimson King

Cirkus

Lizard (Bolero, Dawn Song, Last Skirmish, Prince Rupert's Lament)
Larks Tongues in Aspic Part Two
Starless
21st Century Schizoid Man

#397 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:32 AM

Jesus, Old Crimson good, I guess.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#398 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:22 PM

Jesus, Old Crimson good, I guess.

Absolutely! :)

As with all bands...

#399 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:47 PM

Been out to see Polish Prog Metallers Riverside in Manchester tonight.
I also saw Scotch Rock Legend Baldie Pete.

#400 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:42 AM

Been out to see Polish Prog Metallers Riverside in Manchester tonight.
I also saw Scotch Rock Legend Baldie Pete.

How well does Riverside draw? 1000 people? 500? 4000?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users