#361 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

I like taking photos of other people's screens as they take photos at gigs.

25A07B70-521C-4B4E-A713-A3520D60D8D9_zps
  • Slim, Three Eyes, GhostWriter and 1 other like this

#362 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:48 PM

Luke Bryan with Brett Eldrige  and Lauren Alaina.  Sper great concert.  Everyone.   

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#363 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:04 AM

At the annual jazz festival Saw Herbie Hancock, who was boring,

Then saw The Jacksons, who did a pretty good set for fellows in their mid-sixties. Mrs MT was so happy! Germaine did most of the singing.

There was also some powerful Afro-jazz - really driving and energetic, and a band who played really fast wild Coltrane type stuff.

Corinne Bailey Ray was on the bill too but I didn't catch her set.

#364 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationDetroit, ROCK City

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

Going to see Midnight Oil next week in Seattle.  Anyone else here into this band?  One of my absolute favorites.  First tour in 15 years and getting rave reviews.  Setlist changes radically each night, with really deep cuts.  Even played all of the 10 to 1 album start to finish at one show.  I've seen them a few times back in the 90's and 00's and they were some of the best shows I've ever seen.  If you have the chance, catch them on this tour, as it could be the last.  

18May in Chicago:

Outside World

Only the Strong

Short Memory

Read About It

Scream in Blue

US Forces

Power and the Passion

Maralinga

Tin Legs and Tin Mines

Somebody's Trying to Tell Me Something

My Country

When The Generals Talk

Spirit of the Age

Ships of Freedom

Koscuisko

The Dead Heart

Beds are Burning

Blue Sky Mine

Dream World

---

Put Down That Weapon

Truganini

Forgotten Years

---

Sometimes

20May, Toronto:

Redneck Wonderland

Feeding Frenzy

Capricornia

Best of Both Worlds

One Country

Golden Age

Truganini

In the Valley

Luritja Way

Spirit of the Age

Ships of Freedom

Kosciusko

Arctic World

Warakurna

Beds are Burning

The Dead Heart

Blue Sky Mine

Dreamworld

---

Antarctica

Sometimes

Forgotten Years

---

King of the Mountain

I'm just getting into these guys but love everything I've heard so far. I hear a lot of Gang of Four in Midnight Oil.  I'd bet that G.o.F. would list Midnight Oil as an influence...  My good friend is a big fan of Midnight Oil and he is heading over to The D-, from Wisconsin. We'll hop the train from Windsor to YYZ, to see Midnight Oil  at the new Budweiser Stage on August 25... I'm excited for my good friend to visit, for the adventure to the east and for a great rock show on that Friday night...

Rock ON!

• AsIfToFly likes this

20b17b4b-a49a-4567-bd13-f55bbbaf7850.jpg

#365 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:57 PM

I thought last year was a bad year for gigging - just 4 shows - but until a few weeks ago I'd only been to one this year.

Luckily November has seen that total rise to three! Both nights were also nights out with Mrs Slikk - not sure whether that is good or bad.

A couple of weeks ago we went to Sheffield's Leadmill (formerly a flour mill) to see Finland's finest the Von Hertzen Brothers. Why these guys aren't as Big as Foo Fighters or Muse is beyond me. Why Foo Fighters and Muse are so big is also beyond me. Still, it meant we could get up close and personal in the crowd of 150. If you like riffy Pop Prog with lots of vocal harmonies I recommend you check them out.

Last Sunday we went down to Rock City in Nottingham to see Opeth. Once again we got up close and personal, central position on the front barrier so we could see right up Akerfeldt's nose :)

Mrs Slikk was most taken by the support band, Norway's Enslaved. So taken in fact that she's sailing away in guitarist Ivar Bjornson's Long Boat next week :)

Opeth were well, Opeth. Death Metal Opeth, Prog Opeth and all points in between - so that will be Death Prog Opeth then.

IMHO the best three live acts in the World are: Riverside; Opeth and the Von Hertzen Brothers. I've seen all three this year, so 2017 short on quality, long on quantity.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#366 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:56 AM

Silversun Pickups. Saw them a couple weeks ago in Rochester, NY. It was the 3rd time I've seen them live.

#367 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:36 PM

I went to see the Primus/Mastodon tour at the Ford Amphitheater in Coney Island last night.  What a great performance by both bands, both drawing heavily from their latest albums!  Mastodon was all pure rock fury, really on their A game, and Primus played a nice mix of classics with an extended suite of their trippy The Desaturating Seven, which they began with the opening of Cygnus X-1!!!  Les killed it (as he is known to do), but I was most impressed with Larry La Londe, who's guitar parts were much cleaner and slicker than I previously knew him for, his playing almost reminded me of Alex at a few points.  The sound quality for both bands was phenomenal, crystal clear, balanced, and not obnoxiously loud.  What a great double bill!

• chemistry1973 likes this

#368 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:03 PM

British Sea Power is my most oft-attended band of late. Saw them in October last year (Leicester), then in February (Sheffield) then in May (Nottingham). Interesting that the Nottingham gig was upgraded from the Rescue Rooms to the (larger) Rock City. I get the sense that they're finally gaining a bit of traction among the wider public. Just hope they don't get so big that they start playing the sort of gig where you can't make your way forward and boogie at the front of the stage.

Also saw Shame in Leicester in March. Sweaty and intense. Brilliant.

#369 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,488 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:55 PM

Ok I’m going to check out British Sea Power.

I love Primus and Mastodon.

Scott - was Herb drumming?

#370 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:47 PM

The mighty BSP.

I bought their debut album in 2003, quite liked it, but then I tuned out. A couple of years ago a friend of mine mentioned that he'd been to see them a couple of times and that piqued my interest as I hadn't even realised they were still going. Then last year he persuaded me to go and see them with him. I was just knocked out by the connection between the band and their fans. The crowd knows every word of every tune. There's just nothing pretentious about them, no rock star or showbiz affectations at all. And the material I'd missed out on turned out to be brilliant. I was kind of gutted that I'd jumped off the bus early and missed a few brilliant albums, but I'm back on board now.

Plus, two seven foot dancing bears come out and bounce up and down with the rest of the audience toward the end of their sets. At the Nottingham gig, one of them got ejected for crowd-surfing.

This song has come to mean so much to me that I made a commitment to it by having the title tattooed on my left arm.

Oh! Don't let us die

While we are still alive

• Three Eyes likes this

#371 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:08 PM

Ok I’m going to check out British Sea Power.

I love Primus and Mastodon.

Scott - was Herb drumming?

Yes, Tim was drumming, and played phenomenally well!

#372 bytor11

bytor11

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationChicago 'Burb

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:35 PM

Attended Paul Simon's show at the United Center in Chicago with the Mrs last Wednesday. Mr Simon is one of her favorites and never been to one of his shows. Ive not seen him before either. For not knowing most of the songs it was a entertaining show. He had about 20 people on stage, 2 guys were multi-instrumentalists so Paul was saving some money with those 2 guys, else there'd need to be about 4 more guys. He has barest of bare bones light shows. The lighting directors gig must be super easy but super boring. The old fart played for 2hrs 15mins and wasn't bored for any of it.

• Three Eyes and chemistry1973 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users