#341 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:30 PM

^^^ Not into the first one and never heard of the second but Devin Townsend is da bomb. Probably the only modern metal act I like.

I just got the most recent DTP album, Transcendence...  I like it, definitely need to digest it, maybe a little over-the-top bombastic, but I'm digging it.  What other albums of his would be considered "essential"?

#342 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:01 AM

I just got the most recent DTP album, Transcendence...  I like it, definitely need to digest it, maybe a little over-the-top bombastic, but I'm digging it.  What other albums of his would be considered "essential"?

I can't tell you what's essential Devin because I'm not familiar with his entire catalogue but of the ones I've heard Terria and Epicloud have left the biggest impressions. (I haven't heard his latest yet.) Also, his bringing in Anneke van Giersbergen on some of his projects has added an interesting dimension to his music. I really need to mine his catalog. I'm sure there are more gems to be found. He delves into numerous styles of metal from straight ahead (with his former band Strapping Young Lad) to crazy-ass epic prog. This one is more in the pop-metal vein.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#343 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:47 AM

This one shows off his eclectic songwriting and epic arrangement skills. It's like he's corrupting symphonic metal, but improving it in the process.

https://www.youtube....m4#t=332.788389

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#344 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:12 AM

Like some sort of demented hymn.

#345 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

Definitely interesting and creative.

#346 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

Clutch were fantastic at Starland Ballroom last night.  They never disappoint.  A true Deep Cuts setlist, playing tracks like Passive Restraints, Minotaur, and 50,000 Unstoppable Watts, plus Frankenstein for the first time in 15(?) years.  The also finally delivered The Face, my favorite, to a NYC/NJ area show! 

• Pariah Dawg likes this

#347 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

I saw Steve Hackett last night at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall. Great gig, the first set was solo material and the second was Genesis tracks, This year is the 40th anniversary of Wind & Wuthering and he played most of that album (which i thought was fantastic, that's my favourite post-Gabriel Genesis album) plus a few others such as Firth Of Fifth and Musical Box. He had Nick Beggs on bass, 12-string/bass doubleneck and bass pedals (on one song played sitting on the floor, by hand).

85D2D3D2-24B8-4B98-8801-447AEA51900B_zps

63637011-FC16-4EFF-9217-779FCDB629BF_zps

• GhostWriter and Moving Target like this

#348 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

B4406F9D-FF21-4FCE-82C5-9F1B7D4D1A63_zps

EDCBE98B-F915-45C4-93B6-12AD74AB666B_zps

• GhostWriter likes this

#349 Dick Tree

Dick Tree

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

Nice pictures Baldipete!

Two nights ago I attended an progressive metal extravaganza which included four bands (Delain, Hammerfall, Scrollkeeper, and Gran Andes).  For this tour Delain and Hammerfall were co-headliners and on this night that meant Delain were the final performers.  Singer Charlotte Wessels was her usual magnificent self and kept the crowd mesmerized for the entirety of their 90-minute set.  It was my first time to witness Hammerfall and they were great!  Catchy hooks and virtuoso guitar playing made for a happy crowd, most of whom were there for this Swedish metal goliath.

This gig was the first time Scrollkeeper had ever performed together, but the skill of the musicians lead me to believe they all had extensive experience on other bands.  They were "tight" (in a good way) and played music that demanded precision and chops.  I hope to see them again.  Opener Gran Andes was decent but suffered from a lack of variety in the songs and a poor sound mix.  Too much bass and drums unfortunately drowned out the singer and guitarists. 

#350 Dick Tree

Dick Tree

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:49 PM

Last night I attended another metal event at the Scout Bar in Houston.  The headliner was Swedish band Sabaton, with opening act being Finland's Battle Beast followed thereafter by Leaves Eyes.  Battle Beast is a proto-typical up tempo outfit fronted by [female] vocalist Noora Louhimo.  Their set was good but could have used some variety among the songs and stage antics.

Leaves Eyes came on second and they were a delight.  Their brand of Viking/symphonic metal music was well done, complete with props and locals dressed as warriors.  I found it also quite reminiscent of Tarja era Nightwish. 

Headliner Sabaton had the crowd eating out of their hand from the start.  Having frequently played Houston over the past few years they have built up quite a following and it showed tonight.  Their ninety minute set went by in a flash.

#351 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:58 AM

Going to see Midnight Oil next week in Seattle.  Anyone else here into this band?  One of my absolute favorites.  First tour in 15 years and getting rave reviews.  Setlist changes radically each night, with really deep cuts.  Even played all of the 10 to 1 album start to finish at one show.  I've seen them a few times back in the 90's and 00's and they were some of the best shows I've ever seen.  If you have the chance, catch them on this tour, as it could be the last.  

18May in Chicago:

Outside World

Only the Strong

Short Memory

Read About It

Scream in Blue

US Forces

Power and the Passion

Maralinga

Tin Legs and Tin Mines

Somebody's Trying to Tell Me Something

My Country

When The Generals Talk

Spirit of the Age

Ships of Freedom

Koscuisko

The Dead Heart

Beds are Burning

Blue Sky Mine

Dream World

---

Put Down That Weapon

Truganini

Forgotten Years

---

Sometimes

20May, Toronto:

Redneck Wonderland

Feeding Frenzy

Capricornia

Best of Both Worlds

One Country

Golden Age

Truganini

In the Valley

Luritja Way

Spirit of the Age

Ships of Freedom

Kosciusko

Arctic World

Warakurna

Beds are Burning

The Dead Heart

Blue Sky Mine

Dreamworld

---

Antarctica

Sometimes

Forgotten Years

---

King of the Mountain

• Greg likes this

#352 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:09 AM

^^^ Sounds great. He's still a spaz onstage. We did that song in my cover band in the early '90s. Where does the effing time go? Forgotten years, indeed.

#353 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:02 PM

Last night , I was down in London at the Islington Assembly Hall for my first gig in nearly a year. I really do need to get out more.

Quite an emotional night really, as it was to see Polish band Riverside, whose guitarist Piotr Grudzinski died of a massive heart attack not long after I last saw them back in November 2015. Now Riverside are one of the best live bands out there - in my humble little opinion - and I thought they might end up throwing in the towel, but no, they decided to carry on and use fellow Pole Maciej Meller as a touring guitarist.Hoorah!

I got to the venue good and early, as I was determined to get a place down at the front barrier which I duly did and then had to wait an hour for the ban, but it was worth it. The three surviving members came on stage first, with bassist/singer/all round good guy Mariusz Duda thanking us for coming out, they then played a very slowed down version of Coda before being joined by Maciej. Maciej did a good stand in job, his guitar playing is a bit more Jimmy Page than Piotr's David Gilmour, but it didn't detract from the songs. Mariusz is an absolute BASS MONSTER, heck he played an enjoyable BASS SOLO and Mikal Lapaj on the keyboards is like a thin Jon Lord behind his keyboards. Nice.

• baldiepete likes this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#354 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,094 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:10 AM

Not seen any live music in eleven months, but the jazz festival is coming round again. Herbie Hancock is playing, and George Benson is closing the event.

Last time I saw a rock gig must have been The Who four years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users