3 replies to this topic

#1 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:23 AM

I'm a long time crappy guitar player but playing daily up to an hour or 2. Recently, I'm getting forearm pain, 1st in my strumming arm, but now also in my cording arm. Not sure what's the cause, I play sports(basketball, mostly), and do a fair amount of manual labour. My grip has gotten pretty weak and painful, I wonder if you guitarists ever deal with this if you play a lot. I know I should get a better guitar, I'm mainly playing a crappy student quality nylon string so have to use more pressure, but still...any comments, jeers, sympathy???...

< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#2 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,242 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:44 PM

If all is well with your arm, you’re probably just exercising muscles you usually don’t. They are going to be sore after a workout. Drink lots of water and keep your hands warm. Allow your hands to warm up before you start. Sure, you could have carpal tunnel going on but try warming up a bit first and see if that helps.

#3 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:16 PM

Might be related to the manual labor more than the playing. Like if you’ve been swinging a hammer for hours at a time, that could have an effect.

#4 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:25 AM

Could be an RSI. Hope not. Get it checked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users