6 replies to this topic

#1 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:41 PM

Has anyone watched Watership Down on Netflix?  I was pretty excited about seeing it.  It's one of my favorite books and I liked the animated version that came out many years ago which, while condensed, followed the plot pretty well and captured the overall spirit of the book.  I was looking forward to seeing what they could do in a 4-part series with better animation.  Unfortunately, the new version seems to have gotten what I call the "Peter Jackson treatment."  Characters being altered and behaving contrary to how they were in the book, love stories where none previously existed, altering key scenes, and adding worthless subplots, all for no good reason.  I must say I was quite disappointed.  Why can't they just stick to the damn book?  

Also, in the older animated version it was easy to tell the rabbits apart.  In this one, they all looked very similar so it was sometimes hard to tell who was who. 

#2 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:20 PM

Also, in the older animated version it was easy to tell the rabbits apart.  In this one, they all looked very similar so it was sometimes hard to tell who was who. 

Ever seen a group of Rabbits?

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:16 AM

I liked it very much. Watched it in BBC over Xmas. Really good cast. John Boyega as Thlayli was an inspired choice. Peter Capaldi was the best Kehaar to date.

As this was 2018 they gave the women more to do. Clover has an enhanced role in fomenting rebellion in Efrafa. Strawberry is a doe now (Olivia Coleman).

Could have made more of the Black Rabbit though. Rosamund Pike was miscast IMO.

#4 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:58 AM

I liked it very much. Watched it in BBC over Xmas. Really good cast. John Boyega as Thalyi was an inspired choice. Peter Capaldi was the best Kehaar to date.

As this was 2018 they gave the women more to do. Clover has an enhanced role in fomenting rebellion in Efrafa. Strawberry is a doe now (Olivia Coleman).

Could have made more of the Black Rabbit though. Rosamund Pike was miscast IMO.

I didn't care for their interpretation of Kehaar.   I loved Zero Mostel in the 1978 version.  "Ya ya!  I fly at dem!"  And in that version the escape from Efrafa was closer to the book, and quite intense.  The whole reason they were able to escape was the grand trick of using the boat, outsmarting Woundwort. Early on in the book they use a piece of wood to get across a stream to escape a dog, and they remember that later.  But the miniseries had them using the same trick to escape from the Sandleford Owsla instead instead of a dog, so I guess they figured they couldn't have them escaping another Owsla in the same way, so they changed it.  Poor choice, IMO.  The Netflix version has them basically just running away, and you're led to believe that something will happen in the town, such as leading the Efrafans there and evading them through some sort of cleverness, but nothing really happened.  

It did have its moments though and it looked nice. Glad you liked it.  

#5 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:49 AM

I thought their Efrafa looked great.

There was also the 1999 BBC version which deviated from the book quite a lot and became a power struggle between Watership Down, Efrafa and Cowslip’s Warren. By season 3 the main characters had taken a back seat and the focus changed to Blackberry as I recall. Or something. John Hurt played Woundwort.

#6 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:31 PM

I haven’t seen that.

John Hurt is in everything.

#7 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member