4 replies to this topic

#1 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:43 PM

I don't know why I notice these things, but yesterday I happened to notice that the song 'A Farewell to Kings' from that Hammersmith Odeon show from Feb 20 1978 differs slightly between the 'Different Stages' version and the 'A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniv' release..

specifically on the classical guitar intro..

my conclusion is that Alex must have re-recorded this intro section for the Different Stages release for whatever reason..

here is a short video because I have too much time on my hands today LOL

https://youtu.be/238i_d2HPbA

#2 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 11:45 PM

I noticed the same thing! Also Geddy singing in parts seems more in time on the rerelease than on DS.

#3 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:51 PM

My guess would be that they recorded both nights at the Hammersmith Odeon (Feb 19/20) and chose between the 2. 

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

#4 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:02 PM

My guess would be that they recorded both nights at the Hammersmith Odeon (Feb 19/20) and chose between the 2. 

I don't think so, 'A Farewell to Kings' is identical in every other way (Neil's accents during the intro, the crowd, the tempo, the keyboard, the rest of the song). The only explanation seems to be that the guitar part intro was re-done for Different Stages.

They couldn't have transferred the classical guitar track from  Feb 19 and superimposed it onto the Feb 20th because the tempo would have had to be perfect and of course that is not likely.

The classical guitar intro on 40th Anniv sounds 'decent' to me. The one from DS sounds perfect, just too perfect you know? The one from 40th Anniv sounds like it is the original (still very good).

That's my theory anyways!

#5 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:14 PM

you may be right - it's all speculation until someone who worked on the set chimes in. I will say however - Zappa often used different parts from different concerts to construct his live albums - especially in the eighties and software always to change tempo and not change the pitch, so who's to say. I'll have to set some time aside and A/B the 2 recordings to detect other differences. I did notice a cymbal splash missing on one of the Cygnus X-1s that is present on the other, but that could easily be a mixing issue as opposed to a different performance 

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users