23 replies to this topic

#21 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:45 PM

But she needs to push Brexit through! This vote is irrelevant right?! If she fails to deliver she’s got no reason to be there...

#22 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,716 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:22 PM

I've been listening to the BBC about the May vote.  Interesting stuff, for sure, even though I don't know all the implications.  I try to follow it, though...

As for here, Trump isn't ever going to just 'step down' - his ego won't allow that.  Pence is a dolt, but he's a known quantity dolt.  Now that the Ds have the house and the trend is away from the R on local levels, Pence wouldn't be terrible...but his career is over.  Trump isn't going anywhere until he's voted out in 2019.

#23 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 13 December 2018 - 05:50 AM

But she needs to push Brexit through! This vote is irrelevant right?! If she fails to deliver she’s got no reason to be there...

Her Brexit plan will not get through Parliament if put to the vote now. Most MPs and the public hate it.

So she is delaying the vote, running the clock down so the only other option is Hard Brexit, which will be economically disastrous as the foreign car manufacturers will up sticks and go to continental Europe, plus the Good Friday Agreement with the Irish will be breached and The Troubles will restart. So Parliament will be caught in a cleft stick, unwilling to inflict the misery of Hard Brexit on the people and will reluctantly vote the May plan through.

I am ashamed to be British now. We used to stand for competence and pragmatism, but now it’s all shallow ego, irresponsibility and self-indulgence.

#24 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:59 AM

I think the current political order will not survive Brexit.

Some of the old ‘One Nation’ Tories are openly talking of resigning the whip. I foresee the One Nation MPs splitting away and the remaining hardline ERG group fixing with UKIP.

Similarly sensible moderate Labour MPs led perhaps by Chuka Umunna will finally lose patience and leave the Corbyn fiasco.

The One Nationists and Moderates could fuse with the Lib Dems - who have 1300 Councillors and 100K members if a dearth of MPs currently- to form a liberal/centrist new party.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users