chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:17 PM

Seems May's quite fucked:

https://www.reuters....l-idUSKBN1O80GX

It seems our countries - the most powerful economies in the world - are letting effective governance slip away. Backbiting, resignations, protest.

Obvious that it's more profitable to govern for the few than the many. It might be impossible, as societies get more ethnically diverse, to have a rule of law that applies to everyone. Certainly economic policies can't be homogenous if people from different backgrounds prioritize their lives in vastly different ways from each other.

There's an all encompassing subtext to the angst permeating the US and Europe - the belief that Government needs to be provide for everyone in equal measure - not just justice and freedom,but a home, and a living wage -despite whether one has a job - hell even government delivered environmental salvation. It's now been woven into the fabric of our societies - that the whole take care of the individual in every conceivable fashion - womb to tomb.

Politicians can't stomach the bad press that results in being unable to deliver the absolutely impossible - whether they promised it or not. So they capitulate quickly and grip the political status quo so tightly. In the US, Americans voted for a guy that historically doesn't wield as much power as everyone thinks. The disappointment is beginning to seep into Trump's base. If this market bottoms - then he will be carried out of office, tarred and feathered, by an angry mob.

We are told over and over again that governance is the answer, yet the people we elect provide ever decreasing comfort that they can deliver. Money (credit actually), internet, social media and other circuses are the shitty distractions - but they also carry the same subtle, yet direct message: you should be taken care of.

Actual people who have actual jobs know better - that jobs and food trump political notions of "togetherness" - if you have a family you really don't give a fuck about anything else. Get in the way of that and shit will burn. Calling them racists, because they don't want an overwhelming migrant crises, or that they can't pay a morality tax, will literally do nothing to curb the anger. especially now that everyone knows how weak these administrations are.

#2 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:24 PM

Meanwhile Macron just throws more government on top of the problem:

https://www.cnn.com/...intl/index.html

#3 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:16 PM

We're all doomed.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:32 PM

We're all doomed.

Well then I think this occasion calls for some doom metal, am-I-right?

By the way, this song barely missed out as the theme song for The Munsters.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#5 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:54 AM

Trump’s base is shrinking? Really?

#6 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:51 PM

Trump’s base is shrinking? Really?

We will see in 2020.

#7 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:43 PM

If the democrats run a strong center left candidate they will win easily.

If they run hysterical twats like Corey Booker then they will lose.

#8 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,242 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:12 PM

If the democrats run a strong center left candidate they will win easily.

If they run hysterical twats like Corey Booker then they will lose.

Booker's era as the mayor of Newark will come to haunt him.  He destroyed that city, if that was even possible.  He left behind a burning bag of excrement and went on to the senate where he saw national popularity.  If that's all it takes to become a POTUS candidate then the bar is really low.

#9 Chris Christie

Chris Christie

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationTrenton, NJ. For now.

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:26 PM

Booker's era as the mayor of Newark will come to haunt him. He destroyed that city, if that was even possible. He left behind a burning bag of excrement and went on to the senate where he saw national popularity. If that's all it takes to become a POTUS candidate then the bar is really low.

Hi there.

#10 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:29 PM

Booker's era as the mayor of Newark will come to haunt him. He destroyed that city, if that was even possible. He left behind a burning bag of excrement and went on to the senate where he saw national popularity. If that's all it takes to become a POTUS candidate then the bar is really low.

Um. About that, America.....

#11 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:31 AM

Um. About that, America.....

Good point, but May and Macron are much sharper than Trump on an intellectual level, yet are proving to be possibly much worse at leading.

The problem does not solely lie with our elected officials; it’s a much broader issue I think.

Trump’s dopiness is serving as a distraction more than highlighting the real problems with our societies.

#12 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:39 AM

Good point, but May and Macron are much sharper than Trump on an intellectual level, yet are proving to be possibly much worse at leading.

Seriously?

Trump can’t even run an effective White House. Am I right that he has lost three Chiefs of Staff in two years? He knows how to attack people on the campaign trail but not how to stop attacking and build coalitions between disparate groups. What’s he still giving rallies for, how has he even got hours in the day? Perhaps so he can feel better after being exposed at the G20 by people with knowledge and intellect.

Mrs May’s big blunder was to blow a 18-point lead in a general election she didn’t have to call, with policies which attacked her own base and looking robotic on the stump. She may have been promoted a level too high, but by comparison Trump is so far out of his competency as to baffle onlookers. I would say he couldn’t get elected here but we have some pretty dumb MPs, particularly Tories in places where you could stick a blue rosette on a turnip and it would win.

Macron have been exposed as another neoliberal in a left-leaning nation which faces difficulties regarding how it will pay for its traditionally strong social programmes and pensions in the wake of 2008.

#13 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:44 AM

Word is that the 48 letters have gone in and Mrs May could be facing a leadership challenge.

Sajid Javid has been networking furiously. But he’s a Remainer too and will not be attractive to the Brexiteer Tories. I would quite like to see him as PM because American fascists’ heads will blow up.

#14 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:51 PM

Trump has installed 2 Supreme Court justices, passing legislation and basically acting as if nothing’s wrong. His White House is a shambles, but he’s nowhere near teetering on the brink like May or Macron. Trump could possibly in the narrowest of possibilities just step down. It wouldn’t leave our entire government in disarray. Pence would simply take over.

#15 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:08 PM

Trump has installed 2 Supreme Court justices, passing legislation and basically acting as if nothing’s wrong. His White House is a shambles, but he’s nowhere near teetering on the brink like May or Macron. Trump could possibly in the narrowest of possibilities just step down. It wouldn’t leave our entire government in disarray. Pence would simply take over.

And have you noticed how Mikey just sits there and says nothing, just takes it all in. Can't stand the theocratic bastard, but that's damn smart. Trump impeachers, be careful what you wish for.

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#16 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:30 PM

And have you noticed how Mikey just sits there and says nothing, just takes it all in. Can't stand the theocratic bastard, but that's damn smart. Trump impeachers, be careful what you wish for.

Exactly. Dude is just waiting...like a vulture over a dying hyena.

#17 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,242 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:36 PM

Nobody wants Pence, that’s for sure. I think he will keep what economic gains we’ve made but we wouldn’t get much more. Likely we would get a new focus on conservative social issues. Yuck!

#18 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:41 PM

We will know whether May has lost the confidence vote and faces a leadership challenge at 2200 hrs GMT. We could have a different PM in short order.

This is the worst time possible, with the Brexit deadline bearing down. We had a reputation in the world as pragmatists, now we look self-indulgent and foolish.

#19 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:48 PM

Theresa May seems pretty bookish right? She doesn’t seem to get those political nuances of saving face and duplicity that the job unfortunately requires.

#20 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:30 PM

May survives, 200-117.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users