31 replies to this topic

#21 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:13 PM

The only visuals we get are of his armpits. Yeah he's a great player but it's a gimmick and it looks stupid and distracting. I can't believe he's actually comfortable playing that way. You waste a lot of energy with your arms up over your head like that for so long, plus the added distance your stick has to travel going from drum to crash. I get that some drummers prefer their cymbals higher than others, but that's just nuts. Check out about 5:15. He can barely even reach that high.

It’d be funny if we could confirm that the cymbals are even higher than they were last album.

But yeah - looks so goofy. Just play the fucking song!

#22 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:59 PM

" ...technically they're both incredible...sounds more clinical and robotic"

I did some major league paraphrasing here, but to me, you just described not only Mangini, but Dream Theater as a whole. I've got a handful of albums, and I don't hate 'em, but it just seems like they're always a whole lotta flash without a lot of substance.

Your mileage may vary.

#23 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:09 PM

The problem that has plagued DT is that so much of it is flash that it all gets boring and clinical.

This is the first track I've heard of theirs that seems to have actual life to it.

#24 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:56 PM

The blending of heavy and prog was great in the early days, when they truly sounded like Metallica meets Rush.

They've lost something along the way. They have been sounding repetitive, especially as they've focused more on the heavy than the prog. Imho.

I still love em, but some variety would be nice.

falconext.png

#25 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:38 PM

You can't go wrong with Saga!

Were you known as Resistor way back in the day?

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#26 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:48 PM

No way.  Don't get me wrong, technically they're both incredible.  With the edge going to Mangini I'd say.  But to me, he sounds more clinical and robotic than Portnoy.  I dunno, they're both awesome drummers in their own ways, but MP's got a signature sound that's been missing from DT since he left.   :shrug:   

Leave it to Dream Theater to hire a drummer more robotic than Portnoy.  :P

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#27 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:16 AM

Were you known as Resistor way back in the day?

Nope. First grepnyc then grep.

falconext.png

#28 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 04:09 AM

Nope. First grepnyc then grep.

I didn't think so. You don't have that guy's cranky personality. He was a young guy who ran a Rush fan board called Rush Under Pressure waaay back in the late 90s to around 2000 or so. The board would sometimes rag on him for being into Saga. All fun and games, of course. (I like On The Loose myself.) But I think it must have pissed him off because one day I checked into the board only to see that he'd turned the entire thing into a Saga fan board. One day it was Rush. The next day it was Saga. LOL.

#29 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 05:49 AM

^^that is hilarious

#30 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:56 PM

The problem that has plagued DT is that so much of it is flash that it all gets boring and clinical.

This is the first track I've heard of theirs that seems to have actual life to it.

Hold up, wait a minute...
They've been a band for 30 years and you mean to tell us that this is the FIRST track you've ever heard that you think has "life"???  :huh:  :blink:  Hahaha!  Either you haven't heard much of their stuff, or you're simply not a fan.  :P 

Honestly tho, they can't win.  When they're too metal, the prog fans bitch. When they're too prog, the metal fans bitch.  Their last album, the crazy long, double length, prog epic... I still have yet to really listen to.  Ain't got time for that no more.

But the album before that -- The self titled one, THAT was a damn good album!  A 'return to form' as is often thrown around.  If this first single is an indication of what's to come, I'm excited.  But... we'll just have to wait til Feb. to see.  :)

#31 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:51 PM

I remember liking a Dream Theater song I heard from a live show years back. I played it several times and kind of got into it. It had a different vibe than their other stuff, catchier and with some heart to it. Figures I can't remember the name of it.  :angry:

#32 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 02:33 AM

Hold up, wait a minute...
They've been a band for 30 years and you mean to tell us that this is the FIRST track you've ever heard that you think has "life"??? :huh: :blink: Hahaha! Either you haven't heard much of their stuff, or you're simply not a fan. :P

Honestly tho, they can't win. When they're too metal, the prog fans bitch. When they're too prog, the metal fans bitch. Their last album, the crazy long, double length, prog epic... I still have yet to really listen to. Ain't got time for that no more.
But the album before that -- The self titled one, THAT was a damn good album! A 'return to form' as is often thrown around. If this first single is an indication of what's to come, I'm excited. But... we'll just have to wait til Feb. to see. :)

I’ve said a couple times in this thread that I’m not a big fan. This is the first song they’ve done that’s grabbed my attention.

Most of their earlier material sounded like a not very cohesive wankfest with pitchy singing. They’ve seem to have matured and gotten way better.

I also enjoyed the Sons of Apollo debut a great deal. That sounded like DT with a great singer.

What can I say - I like Rivendell too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users