39 replies to this topic

#21 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:09 AM

Zebra comes to mind. (Skip to 1:25 to get past the banter)  I was at this show, BTW. :)

Damn straight! Frickin' Zebra!  :2  thumbs up: Zebra would blow Zeppelin off the stage in a Zeppelin song only battle of the bands. Zebra plays Zeppelin better than they do their own songs. lol. Heart does Zeppelin well too but not this good.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#22 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:21 AM

Damn straight! Frickin' Zebra!  :2  thumbs up: Zebra would blow Zeppelin off the stage in a Zeppelin song only battle of the bands. Zebra plays Zeppelin better than they do their own songs. lol. Heart does Zeppelin well too but not this good.

They used to play Rush covers too. Their AF2K (which I've only heard on old boots) was sublime. Randy sometimes plays it at his solo shows, and can still sing it.

falconext.png

#23 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:05 AM

Although Abbey Road was an immediate commercial success and reached  No. 1 in the UK and US, it initially received mixed reviews, some critics describing its music as inauthentic and bemoaning the production's artificial effects. Many critics now view the album as the Beatles' best and rank it as one of the greatest albums of all time. In particular, George Harrison's contributions, "Something" and "Here Comes the Sun", are considered to be among the best songs he wrote for the group. The album's cover, which features the four band members walking across a zebra crossing outside Abbey Road Studios, has become one of the most famous and imitated images in the history of popular music.

Always trust music critics, folks.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#24 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

It’s my favorite for certain - there is a sadness to it, and a feeling of distinct themes. They got really good at tying an album together despite individual styles and unique contributions.

I love the White Album but that is more “I don’t give a fuck”.

Sgt Pepper is when shit got real- relationship struggles, drugs, getting older — angst. Acid. Alienation.

Their whole fucking artistic arc is just perfect rock and roll.

They were friends first. I think that’s the integral part. They trusted each other - until they kind of didn’t.

But think of other bands like that. Not many. Rush. Genesis.

The Beach Boys were family. So were the VH bros. Gene and Paul were pals.

#25 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:32 AM

It’s my favorite for certain - there is a sadness to it, and a feeling of distinct themes. They got really good at tying an album together despite individual styles and unique contributions.

I love the White Album but that is more “I don’t give a fuck”.

Sgt Pepper is when shit got real- relationship struggles, drugs, getting older — angst. Acid. Alienation.

Their whole fucking artistic arc is just perfect rock and roll.

They were friends first. I think that’s the integral part. They trusted each other - until they kind of didn’t.

But think of other bands like that. Not many. Rush. Genesis.

The Beach Boys were family. So were the VH bros. Gene and Paul were pals.

U2

#26 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:33 PM

I can think of a few other bands whose main members knew each other from childhood.

Rolling Stones (Jagger/Richards)
Simple Minds (Kerr/Burchill)
AC/DC (Young brothers)
Jesus & Mary Chain (Reid brothers)
Nirvana (Cobain/Novoselic)

#27 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:26 PM

I can think of a few other bands whose main members knew each other from childhood.

Rolling Stones (Jagger/Richards)
Simple Minds (Kerr/Burchill)
AC/DC (Young brothers)
Jesus & Mary Chain (Reid brothers)
Nirvana (Cobain/Novoselic)

Excellent - lots of longevity there. Grohl and Krist are still close and play together too.

#28 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:42 PM

Hey dude, this could be helpful if your band needs any pointers on putting together The End.

#29 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:48 PM

I love it. Thank you.

And what great piece of music that was. It was their "The Garden".

#30 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:03 PM

I love it. Thank you.

And what great piece of music that was. It was their "The Garden".

I'm not sure there is anything more sublime ever written by a rock band.

#31 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:08 PM

The Kinks

#32 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:35 PM

The Kinks
Oasis
Black Crowes

Family acrimony making great music.

#33 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,242 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:14 PM

The Kinks
Oasis
Black Crowes

Family acrimony making great music.

Add Heart to that list (Ann and Nancy are now apart and warring)

#34 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:24 PM

Add Heart to that list (Ann and Nancy are now apart and warring)

Really?! I had no idea.

Quick aside - last week I left my cymbals at a club and had to pick them up the next evening. Nancy Wilson was playing. I figured no problem- who’s going to see that?

Was I wrong. Place was sold out and packed.

#35 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:29 PM

Holy shiiiit:

Singer Ann Wilson's husband, Dean Wetter, has been sentenced for assaulting his sister-in-law's two sons during a Heart concert last August.

Wetter pleaded guilty to two counts of assault for punching and choking Nancy Wilson's 16-year-old sons during the incident.

He will pay restitution, undergo counseling and has been ordered to have no contact with the boys. A judge also suspended 364 days of jail time contingent on Wetter completing his probation, reports The Seattle Times.

Wetter reportedly flew into a rage and assaulted Nancy's teenage sons during a concert August 26, 2016, when the boys left the door to Ann's trailer open. Police were called and Wetter was charged with assault; he spent the next several days in a jail cell.

All parties reportedly agreed to Wetter's plea deal.

While both Wilson sisters have spoken candidly in recent weeks about their desire to reconcile, they have acknowledged that communication between them since last August has been limited to only the occasional text message.

With 30 dates remaining on the tour following the assault incident, the sisters stopped talking and began using separate dressing rooms for the first time in their 43-year career.

Nancy reportedly considered dropping out of the tour entirely. She and her sister respectively described the remaining dates as "excruciating" and "complete hell."

Ann is touring this year as a solo act this year, while Nancy is concentrating on her new band, Roadcase Royale.

#36 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:31 PM

Wtf? This is crazy.

falconext.png

#37 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,242 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 11 December 2018 - 08:32 PM

The Youngs were probably the only sibling band without a falling out.  Had Malcolm survived, I'm sure they'd still be going strong.

I do hear the Kinks are reunited though.

#38 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:50 PM

Looking up brothers in bands, I didn’t realise that not only did Devo have two sets of brothers (Mark & Bob Mothersbaugh and Gerald & Bob Casale) there was a third Mothersbaugh brother (Jim) who was in early incarnation of the band.

#39 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:15 AM

Don't forget the Blues Brothers!

#40 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:21 AM

B 52's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users