39 replies to this topic

#1 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:01 PM

The idea is that we'll perform Abbey Road in its entirety.

I love the Beatles, but I'm feeling a bit of trepidation - there are thousands of tributes - from horrible, to boring, to sometimes great, to sometimes clownish.

I have no interest in wearing a Ringo costume. There's a group called the Fab Faux who I think would be worth drawing influence from: great sounding Beatles act that looks nothing like them, and does nothing to imitate the band's mannerisms. They just sound like them.

So, what could possibly make this interesting? Any ideas would be appreciated. Seriously.

#2 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,242 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:50 PM

By taking a cue from The Fab Faux, cover the stuff that is post-live era Beatles.  Songs that are challenging and satisfying.  When I saw the Fab Faux play "I am the Walrus" I damn near fell out of my chair.  You're a drummer right?  Yes, drumming can be a little base in a Beatles cover.  Another alternative is to cover the songs differently.  Reggae version of "Back in the USSR"?  I've done a few things like that, but most of the bands I was in would maybe play one Beatles cover a night, mostly "I Want You(She's so Heavy)" because you could play it for a half hour.

#3 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:53 PM

By taking a cue from The Fab Faux, cover the stuff that is post-live era Beatles.  Songs that are challenging and satisfying.  When I saw the Fab Faux play "I am the Walrus" I damn near fell out of my chair.  You're a drummer right?  Yes, drumming can be a little base in a Beatles cover.  Another alternative is to cover the songs differently.  Reggae version of "Back in the USSR"?  I've done a few things like that, but most of the bands I was in would maybe play one Beatles cover a night, mostly "I Want You(She's so Heavy)" because you could play it for a half hour.

i love Ringo's playing - it'd be cool to nail those parts perfectly. T-Shirts on the drums etc...

#4 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,716 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:24 PM

Well, you asked!

Personally, while I respect the Beatles, I have never cared for their music that much.  So I may not be the best person to get feedback from.  That said, I think, in general, tribute bands are almost completely uninteresting.  That goes for any tribute band...even if they're a tribute to a band I'm crazy about, I would rather watch paint dry.  If you're going to do a 'reggae' Beatles or something like that, why not just write your own material, throw in some covers to hook people and go that route?  Tribute bands are kind of sad, IMO.  lol

#5 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:31 PM

^^

Dude TELL me about it!

You are right - I want to avoid that. There has to be another element - either humor or irony or something that goes beyond the music.

#6 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,242 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:45 PM

^^

Dude TELL me about it!

You are right - I want to avoid that. There has to be another element - either humor or irony or something that goes beyond the music.

https://www.beatallica.org/

Check them out!

Here's the lyrics for fun:

OHH, YE-EEE-AH I tell you something
I think you'll understand
When I say the something
I want to choke your band!

I want to choke your band! I want to choke your band!

You'll say, "PLEASE! Don't tread on me!"
But I'm fuckin' pissed off, man!
For C.C.-no mercy
Cuz he'z in a hair band

Woah, let me choke your band! I want to choke your band!

And when I punch you I feel happy inside
It'z such a feeling, let the light-a-ning ride
Lightning ride, lightning ride

YEAH, YOU! Here'z your warning
That I won't take your glam
White Lion dead by morning
I want to choke that band!

I want to choke your band! I want to choke your band!

And when I punch you I feel happy inside
It'z just the flowing of your blood, you can't hide
You can't hide, you can't hide

YEAH, YOU! Here'z your warning
Won't take your fuckin' glam
Now Warrant'z dead by morning
I fuckin' choked that band!

#7 BK 2112

BK 2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:48 PM

Come out dressed as KISS, but play Beatles tunes, in the style of The Beatles, not KISS.
Just looking like KISS.

I'm joking, but the more I think about it, I'd pay money for that.
"Enjoy every sandwich" ~ Warren Zevon "You only ride the marble once" ~ My Father-in-Law "Might as well, can't dance" ~ also my F-i-L

#8 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,716 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:51 PM

^^ This.  I'd totally pay for that...

#9 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:07 PM

Come out dressed as KISS, but play Beatles tunes, in the style of The Beatles, not KISS.
Just looking like KISS.

YOU WANTED THE BEST YOU GOT THE BEST!!!

(Explosion)

Right into Love Me Do.

#10 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,242 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:18 PM

BK 2112, on 29 Nov 2018 - 14:53, said:
Just looking like KISS.

Hey that was my idea! Seriously I was going to do that. Come out in Liverpool suits, Beatle instruments in Kiss makeup and play mashups. If you listen to Kiss' early music, it's basically Beatles but heavier.

The Beatles first single is about a guy asking for a BJ - "Please Please Me"
Kiss' first single is about a guy asking for anal - "Nothing to Lose"

Plus listen to this. It's basically a Beatles song

#11 Chris Christie

Chris Christie

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationTrenton, NJ. For now.

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:49 PM

I like Springsteen, but he hates me. Can't figure out why. Anyway, if I want to hear his music live I need to find a cover band.

Some of them are pretty good. Sometimes when you close your eyes you don't really know you're in a bar listening to a cover band.

#12 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,716 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:09 PM

I haven't heard anything off the first KISS album in probably 40 years.

It's still terrible.  But the thing is that it's way better than their later material.

#13 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:49 PM

Old Kiss not so good. New Kiss not worth mentioning.

falconext.png

#14 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:56 AM

dress and act like the Rolling Stones

#15 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,242 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:52 PM

I haven't heard anything off the first KISS album in probably 40 years.

It's still terrible.  But the thing is that it's way better than their later material.

Definitely.  The first album has really great song structure and Gene/Paul harmonies that sort of have that AiC feel to them.  A true "heavy metal Beatles"  Anything written in the Wicked Lester days like these (their pre-Kiss band) are winners.  Some of the songs from that time are on Dressed to Kill ("She" and "Love Her All I Can").  They are a classic band where the well ran dry early.  Bon Jovi is another example.  Soon everything they would produce would be written by "cowriters" such as Desmond Child, Kim Fowley, Russ Ballard, Michael Bolton etc.  Literally every Bon Jovi hit was written by Desmond Child.  Did you know DC wrote "Livin on a Prayer" their signature song?  Look up his demo of it on Youtube sometime.  Bon Jovi lifted it pretty much intact.

#16 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:47 AM

Some tribute bands are so good they pull off the songs better live than the bands they're paying tribute to do or did. I doubt the Beatles could have done what The Fab Faux does live if for no other reason than they didn't have the technology to do it. But they probably didn't have the live playing chops to do it either.

As I watched the first few seconds of the video I thought I noticed Will Lee from David Letterman's band. Yep that's him.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#17 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:05 AM

I don't mind tributes that do exact replicas of songs at all. It can be a pretty remarkable experience watching bands that are superb at that sort of thing. But it can't be robotic. All of us here know what robotic sounds like. A band needs to capture the emotional life of the original song. Songs have souls.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#18 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:13 AM

Some tribute bands are so good they pull off the songs better live than the bands they're paying tribute to do or did.

Zebra comes to mind. (Skip to 1:25 to get past the banter)  I was at this show, BTW. :)

falconext.png

#19 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:16 AM

More Zebra doing Zeppelin. This was part of how they got exposure when they started. They had a reputation of playing Zeppelin better than Zeppelin did.

I was at this show too.

falconext.png

#20 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:35 AM

Some tribute bands are so good they pull off the songs better live than the bands they're paying tribute to do or did. I doubt the Beatles could have done what The Fab Faux does live if for no other reason than they didn't have the technology to do it. But they probably didn't have the live playing chops to do it either.

As I watched the first few seconds of the video I thought I noticed Will Lee from David Letterman's band. Yep that's him.

Fucking excellent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users