72 replies to this topic

#21 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,149 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:45 PM

Neil was using the concept of Subdivisions, these cookie-cutter suburban neighborhoods as analogous to the teenage social strata at the time.  Kids similar yet so far apart but for a few differences.

#22 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:46 PM

As much as I am/was into Rush, the lyrics always were secondary.  If someone asks me what this song or that song is about, I would likely have a blank stare because I don't listen to music for lyrics.  I'm not oblivious to them, I listen to music for the percussion and rhythm section.  

Exactly.  Mostly for the way the music made me feel vs what the words say.  Some words did reach me, "Subdivisons", "Something for Nothing", "Anthem".  Most didn't

#23 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:08 PM

Neil was using the concept of Subdivisions, these cookie-cutter suburban neighborhoods as analogous to the teenage social strata at the time. Kids similar yet so far apart but for a few differences.

Yes - Subdivisions is so brilliant. Surburbia and the social system that went with it was something that so many Rush fans could relate to. Very much like a social prison - some similar themes to the Body Electric.

Suburbia was a place to escape FROM.

God that video was prescient...

#24 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:20 AM

The Trees - Stunning music. Mind bendingly awful lyrics and an unbelievably stupid attempt at a metaphor. I think Peart’s heavy drug period was likely 76-78.

Top 10 Neil lyric in my book.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#25 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:22 PM

It should be asked rhetorically if, at some future juncture sufficiently far removed from the present temporal state, should our human or post-human progeny review the socio-/political trends and outcomes currently transpiring, said investigators will experience some variety or semblance of emotional distress, as might be described as an acute depressive episode, upon becoming cognizant of some subset of said trends that were allowed, or perhaps encouraged, to flourish and thereby increase in scope and influence.

#26 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:40 PM

Yes - Subdivisions is so brilliant. Surburbia and the social system that went with it was something that so many Rush fans could relate to. Very much like a social prison - some similar themes to the Body Electric.

Suburbia was a place to escape FROM.

God that video was prescient...

It probably was the only time that Rush truly spoke to its audience at the time.

#27 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:40 PM

Top 10 Neil lyric in my book.

Dude I like Rivendell.

#28 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:41 AM

It probably was the only time that Rush truly spoke to its audience at the time.

Exactly, I would say that Subdivisions really nailed it, maybe not on Sting level but still damn well. If he'd managed to get it that right a lot more, he'd be a great, no doubt.

Of course, it might also be rather telling that he was so good at expressing how teenagers feel....

#29 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

It should be asked rhetorically if, at some future juncture sufficiently far removed from the present temporal state, should our human or post-human progeny review the socio-/political trends and outcomes currently transpiring, said investigators will experience some variety or semblance of emotional distress, as might be described as an acute depressive episode, upon becoming cognizant of some subset of said trends that were allowed, or perhaps encouraged, to flourish and thereby increase in scope and influence.

Twenty1Twelve

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#30 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:34 AM

Dude I like Rivendell.

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for The Trees. lol.

#31 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:45 PM

At the present moment (concurrent with this communicative effort), my lateral geniculate nucleus (hereafter to be referred to as the LGN, for brevity) in concert with the visual cortex, have provided a conscious recognition that electromagnetic radiation with a peak spectral component in the range of 630 to 740 nanometers is at this same moment incident upon the retinal receptors which provide raw sensory input to the said LGN-visual cortex unit. Furthermore, this sensory event is considered to be the primary root cause of the concurrent experience of acute or potential tissue damage, or a similarly perceived subjective phenomena, in the vernacular referred to as 'pain', localized to the cranial extremity and/or it's immediate, proximate structures (including, but not limited to, the mandible and hyoid bone, surrounding musculature, as well as neuroligical tissues contained within the skull, but which, it must be pointed out, cannot be the ultimate cause of said sensation, as these tissues are not endowed with the requisite pain-receptors (although it is subjectively possible to find the experiential locus of sensation to correspond to a point apparently lying within this spatial extent under various circumstances, which will not be expanded upon here)).

#32 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:18 PM

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for The Trees. lol.

I’m basically saying - don’t listen to me because what the hell do I know what’s good?

I was just listening to Christopher Cross’s second album and I really liked it. See what I mean?

#33 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:52 PM

At the present moment (concurrent with this communicative effort), my lateral geniculate nucleus (hereafter to be referred to as the LGN, for brevity) in concert with the visual cortex, have provided a conscious recognition that electromagnetic radiation with a peak spectral component in the range of 630 to 740 nanometers is at this same moment incident upon the retinal receptors which provide raw sensory input to the said LGN-visual cortex unit. Furthermore, this sensory event is considered to be the primary root cause of the concurrent experience of acute or potential tissue damage, or a similarly perceived subjective phenomena, in the vernacular referred to as 'pain', localized to the cranial extremity and/or it's immediate, proximate structures (including, but not limited to, the mandible and hyoid bone, surrounding musculature, as well as neuroligical tissues contained within the skull, but which, it must be pointed out, cannot be the ultimate cause of said sensation, as these tissues are not endowed with the requisite pain-receptors (although it is subjectively possible to find the experiential locus of sensation to correspond to a point apparently lying within this spatial extent under various circumstances, which will not be expanded upon here)).

SAYS U

LYqbjSn.jpg

#34 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:55 AM

The Body Electric

#35 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:16 AM

Red lenses

#36 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:12 AM

It's so refreshing to see an American using our language properly.

#37 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:19 PM

Provide an estimate as to the quantity of incidents1, to be described below, which transpire and of which you are cognizant via an integrated process of auditory stimulation and linguistic recognition, where said incidents are posited to transpire if not continuously, then regularly throughout any diurnal period not exceeding the temporal duration in which solar radiation is incident upon the current spatial location.

1. The utterance of an assertion of unrestricted knowledge made by all accounted-for persons, viz. that none of said persons are in any form, manner, custom, or mode, in opposition to any verifiable factual subset of non-preturnatural reality, until such a duration has expired that participants in this exercise (the aforementioned dissemination of verbal constructs) would agree that it could be generally agreed upon to be classified as then being, as it were, a later time.

#38 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:53 PM

Provide an estimate as to the quantity of incidents1, to be described below, which transpire and of which you are cognizant via an integrated process of auditory stimulation and linguistic recognition, where said incidents are posited to transpire if not continuously, then regularly throughout any diurnal period not exceeding the temporal duration in which solar radiation is incident upon the current spatial location.

1. The utterance of an assertion of unrestricted knowledge made by all accounted-for persons, viz. that none of said persons are in any form, manner, custom, or mode, in opposition to any verifiable factual subset of non-preturnatural reality, until such a duration has expired that participants in this exercise (the aforementioned dissemination of verbal constructs) would agree that it could be generally agreed upon to be classified as then being, as it were, a later time.

Show Don’t Tell ?

#39 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,899 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:44 PM

I think I'm going bald.

falconext.png

#40 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:34 PM

Fucking brilliant. LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users