#61 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,192 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 January 2019 - 06:41 AM

How do you feel about his bigoted commentary on Rush fans? Looks like you gave him a pass. "Racist" has been weaponized by the far left. It's not meant to be tossed around as common troll humor when it comes from a well known outlet like LA Weekly. It's meant to damage to reputation. Every reference to Rush fans in that article is either demonizing or ridiculing in nature.

I made my opinion of his "reporting" known up there.  Not my fault if you're not interested in reading it.

So what if he insults us?  Isn't that kind of a badge of pride for Rush fans?  We're not fragile wilting flowers.  And, at least personally, I'm no snowflake. 

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#62 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

Isn't that kind of a badge of pride for Rush fans?  We're not fragile wilting flowers.  And, at least personally, I'm no snowflake. 

It's less to do with snowflakery than how tolerant one is of double standards. It was okay for this writer to make these kinds of remarks about Rush fans because Rush's audience is predominantly white. Had a major weekly allowed a writer to make equivalent remarks about some act's majority black audience there would very likely be a huge uproar on social media and calls to boycott the publisher's advertisers. 

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#63 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,192 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 January 2019 - 03:26 PM

Let's not assume that until it happens. If you don't have evidence, then I'm not going to waste brain real-estate on a hypothetical.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#64 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:58 AM

Red Lenses

Because it was so fucking different from anything I'd ever heard.

I do still love that song. Quirky album cut though it is, I prefer it to a large portion of what they did post-HYF.

Speaking of songs from P/G, one of their most epic live moments to me was the atmospheric intro for "Distant Early Warning" used in their '80s concerts. When those final sinister, low synth notes rumble the hall, taking you into the song...goosebumps.

Geddy displayed a flair for a more cinematic and ethereal side of synth-based arrangement when he put that intro together, and I think that was the only time he really did anything quite like that.

#65 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:23 AM

I do still love that song. Quirky album cut though it is, I prefer it to a large portion of what they did post-HYF.

Speaking of songs from P/G, one of their most epic live moments to me was the atmospheric intro for "Distant Early Warning" used in their '80s concerts. When those final sinister, low synth notes rumble the hall, taking you into the song...goosebumps.

Geddy displayed a flair for a more cinematic and ethereal side of synth-based arrangement when he put that intro together, and I think that was the only time he really did anything quite like that.

I always wondered if anyone in the band had anything to do with that. Thanks for clearing that up.

#66 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:44 AM

Cool.

@ 40:31

A little anecdote from the comments section for you..

I was at this concert. I was 20 at the time, took my future ex-wife on our first date only to have my stereo stolen when we returned to the car. RUSH fan for life!

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#67 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,250 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:33 PM

I always assumed it was Burgess/Northfield who made those "moments" on P/G

#68 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:10 PM

Come to think of it, I had always just assumed that Geddy put that synth intro for DEW on the P/G tour together himself, but I don't know for a fact that was the case. It would almost be disappointing in a way to find that someone else had done it...given how much he was in love with synth technology at that point in time, it just seems like an opportunity to branch out creatively that he would've wanted to jump at. But maybe not.

#69 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

I always assumed it was Burgess/Northfield who made those "moments" on P/G

Why's that?

#70 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,250 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:25 PM

Why's that?

Because Geddy said in interviews that their hired "synth guy" Andy Richards did those sort of things on HYF.  Seemed to allude that other people were responsible for those moments on other albums as well (Such as Hugh Syme for 2112)

#71 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:49 PM

^^^ Gotcha.

#72 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:19 PM

Part of it is reminiscent of the spacey section of Bytor and the Snowdog.

#73 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:04 PM

There's a moment in 2112 that used to give me goosebumps, I can actually remember excitedly waiting for it the first time I saw them - the distorted bottom string guitar riff that starts off the solo in Soliloquy

1:17 in the above clip

But I think my biggest epic moment in 2112, and one of the biggest in all of the canon, is the big crescendo moment in Oracle: The Dream. It has come to symbolise Britain's exit from the European Union.

#74 BinFrog

BinFrog

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:08 AM

#75 BinFrog

BinFrog

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:08 AM

There's a moment in 2112 that used to give me goosebumps, I can actually remember excitedly waiting for it the first time I saw them - the distorted bottom string guitar riff that starts off the solo in Soliloquy

That whole solo gives me goosebumps. One of Alex's most emotive solos...he just oozes that sonofabitch with everything he has. God I love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users