43 replies to this topic

#1 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 01:10 PM

Epic moment not necessarily meaning from one of their epics. Just an epic moment from whatever song.

I didn't even have to think about it.

@ 0:37

I will post other moments, as Rush has many, but this is #1 for me.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#2 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,149 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 25 October 2018 - 01:52 PM

Cygnus X-1 Book II is perhaps the most epic of the epics.  The whole Hemispheres album is filled with greatness.  Instrumental virtuosity and songwriting came together like never before.  The influences that work their way into Rush's music were just most mature here as well.  Timeless classic.  This album birthed a new Rush that then refined this into the first two tracks of Permanent Waves which represent shorter versions of the same spirit.  There are no better six-song runs in all of Rush's catalog than Hemispheres, Circumstances, The Trees, The Spirit of Radio and Freewill.

#3 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:08 PM

My most epic personal moment was when the song A Farewell to Kings video unfolded before my eyes on the In Concert TV show back in real time, 1977.  I kinda knew about Rush before that from seeing them on the Don Kirshner show a few years earlier when Neil had just joined and they were very raw, and from the occasional articles in local (NY) music rags mocking them.

As a classical guitar player myself, I was floored to see Alex picking away, then Geddy coming in with a synth melody, then the full band kicked in, then that bizarre solo section!  What on earth where they doing?!  It sounded like it was in 6/4 but they were all seemingly playing 3 parts independent of each other that all somehow meshed together in the end.  Now they had my attention! This was exactly the kind of music I was looking for!! And then to follow it up with Xanadu and Closer to the Heart and I was racing to the record store the next day to get this album!  And thus began my Rush fandom!!!

#4 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 11:50 PM

I get "video unavailable" on the first video unfortunately.

For me, racing home from the record shop the day AFTK was released 41 years ago then playing it for the first time is probably my biggest Rush downer. Massive, crushing, bitter, cruel disappointment.

On a happier note - the time that a friend and I called in on one of his friends on the way home from the pub, 40 years ago this month I guess, only to find that he was playing a copy of Hemispheres that his dad had brought home from a trip abroad - it still wasn't released in the UK - was possibly my sweetest Rush moment. I listened intently, in shock and awe, and couldn't believe what I was hearing - it was clearly, irrefutably magnificent. They were back on form.

What else - the first few bars of Spirit Of Radio ringing out into a packed Stafford Bingley Hall in September 1979 - it reminded me instantly of Steve Hackett's Clocks, and I loved it. And Freewill, the same night. Again it was obviously magnificent and just a fantastic time to be a Rush fan.

Hearing Beneath, Between, Behind live for the first time on the Tour Of The Hemispheres. Ditto Bangkok I think.

The boys coming back onstage for a third and final encore at my first Rush gig in June '77 - they looked overwhelmed by the reception they were getting. The crowd was just going ape. I thought the balcony was going to come down on our heads. And they cranked out a short but sweet and very spirited Best I Can.

Happy days.

#5 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 12:57 AM

🤘

#6 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 12:57 AM

4:08

Seeing this live at New Haven Coliseum in 1991 - when the whole stadium went nuts - I’ll never forget it.

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 12:35 PM

Seeing this live at New Haven Coliseum in 1991 - when the whole stadium went nuts - I’ll never forget it.

What a high energy performance! Very cool. That's my favorite NR instrumental. Not fond of the others. "Hope" is decent though.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#8 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 12:40 PM

I get "video unavailable" on the first video unfortunately.

This should work.

The moment occurs @ 0:39 in this video.

#9 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 12:51 PM

So odd hearing this for the first time way back in the late 70s. I probably wondered if the band were even from Earth when I heard this.

3:35

#10 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 05:03 PM

This should work.

The moment occurs @ 0:39 in this video.

Interesting - I'd guessed you meant the opening chords. That 0.39 moment doesn't do a lot for me, but the 1:04 moment definitely does.

#11 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,149 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 26 October 2018 - 05:41 PM

Interesting - I'd guessed you meant the opening chords. That 0.39 moment doesn't do a lot for me, but the 1:04 moment definitely does.

There are a lot of great moments in that song, but yes, 1:04 for me is what always grabbed me early on.

#12 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:29 PM

The whole damn album side of Hemispheres grabs me!  And then side 2 as well!!

#13 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:22 PM

To me, 0:39 just rings out through the universe. It puts me in the mind of things on a massive scale like gargantuan planets drifting past each other or some immensely powerful celestial event like a supernova. The opening chords that you mentioned are also high on my list of Rush's most epic moments. 

#14 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:58 PM

To me, 0:39 just rings out through the universe. It puts me in the mind of things on a massive scale like gargantuan planets drifting past each other or some immensely powerful celestial event like a supernova. The opening chords that you mentioned are also high on my list of Rush's most epic moments.

I agree - it’s cinematic in scope.

#15 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:37 PM

"Wave after wave 
Will flow with the tide 
And bury the world as it does 
Tide after tide 
Will flow and recede 
Leaving life to go on 
As it was..."

The final little section of Natural Science is totally epic to me.

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#16 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:47 PM

"Wave after wave
Will flow with the tide
And bury the world as it does
Tide after tide
Will flow and recede
Leaving life to go on
As it was..."

The final little section of Natural Science is totally epic to me.

That fill just after this. Fucking awesome.

#17 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 11:12 PM

I agree - it’s cinematic in scope.

Yes, cinematic is a great way to describe a lot of Old Rush. Probably the majority of it, actually. They could really get a movie playing in your head in those days. In fact, I'm still waiting for the 2112 tent-pole summer blockbuster.  :)  

#18 cygnusx1jg

cygnusx1jg

• Peeps
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:28 AM

If allowed to choose live stuff, I'd say the extended guitar at the end of Bravado and/or the Brazilian fans "singing" to YYZ.

#19 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 October 2018 - 04:03 AM

There are a lot of great moments in that song, but yes, 1:04 for me is what always grabbed me early on.

It's where they settle into a 7/8 groove that manages to still be toe-tapping.

Mine is out of "YYZ"

2:47 in, as Alex's solo seems to be winding down, and then keeps going under that atmospheric synth line.  Ethereal.  My now-wife-then-girlfriend and I were walking on the Riverwalk one afternoon and a band playing at Arneson River Theater was covering the song (we get awesome cover bands here in San Antonio), and when it got to that part she stared and gaped. It was the first time she "got" why I liked Rush so much.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#20 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 27 October 2018 - 02:02 PM

I love the guitar solo in Between The Wheels as played by Alex on the R30 tour, especially this version from Radio City Music Hall. Solo starts at about 40:40 but the epic part is the sheer emotion on Alex's face at about 41:10 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users