27 replies to this topic

#21 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:33 PM

What was the very next album Terry produced I wonder?
Though I’m not wondering enough to Google it.

#22 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:32 PM

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Terry_Brown_(record_producer)

Lawrance Gowan (now of Styx), Cutting Crew then Blue Rodeo.

#23 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:33 PM

Terry has produced some of my favorite modern prog bands and albums, but no, no band of international fame such as Rush.  Modern prog bands of the last 25 years are mostly guys with day jobs who might do limited tours in small clubs/arenas to a few hundred fans at best.  

Tiles - Fence the Clear

Tiles - Presents of Mind (these two are Rush-influenced and POM even has a Hemispheres cover reference)

Under the Sun - s/t

Puppet Show - The Tale of Woe

probably a few more that I can't think of right now...

#24 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 04:08 PM

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Terry_Brown_(record_producer)

Lawrance Gowan (now of Styx), Cutting Crew then Blue Rodeo.

See this where the “production differences” hold no water for me.

Cutting Crew is the most 80s band that ever 80sed!

And that single was huge.

#25 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,149 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 29 October 2018 - 04:34 PM

They wanted Steve Lilywhite though.  That's who they held out for.  The hot 80s U2 producer.  They got Peter Henderson as a consolation.  I think they likely broke it off with Terry first before locking Lilywhite down.  There was likely no turning back from there.

#26 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:47 PM

Lilywhite always got a GREAT drum sound, that’s for sure...

#27 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:50 AM

They wanted Steve Lilywhite though.  That's who they held out for.  The hot 80s U2 producer.  They got Peter Henderson as a consolation.  I think they likely broke it off with Terry first before locking Lilywhite down.  There was likely no turning back from there.

I completely forgot about Lilywhite. You can practically smell the "we wanna be cool" wafting off of that. But they'd have to wait about another quarter century before they were considered cool "in the basement bars and in the backs of cars" and when they finally reached that status it was because of their work with Terry.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#28 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:34 PM

Gonna take the devil's advocate position here...but we don't really know that Brown would have been the cure to the problems that exist in the later Rush albums.  

No we don't, that's true. It sounds very much to me like Broon and the boys were starting to head in very different directions, whereas up to that point they were pretty much headed in the same direction. When that happens, a split is inevitable. I'm torn. I LOVE Power Windows and I like Hold Your Fire a lot so having Broon still on board during those years mean those particular albums don't get made. It's possible that Terry could have helped (and that's highly speculative) around the time of Presto and especially the completely bland Roll The Bones

Besides, for a band that has always prided themselves on not repeating what they did before and professing to always move forward to different things, it seems damned odd that they didn't break with Terry sooner. 

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users