90 replies to this topic

#41 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:33 AM

Pretty much the entire works of Alestorm qualify.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alestorm

You can practically smell the syphilis.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#42 Nunavuter

Nunavuter

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:58 AM

^^^ Nice. Video goofs up at the end though.

In ten years it has never done that until tonight. I tried to fix it, but I cannot. I own albums from this Portuguese band. When it comes to the sea, they really nail it., emotionally. I'll post a band from Newfoundland. That might work better.

I nukshuk, You nukshuk. We all nukshuk.

#43 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:01 AM

I figure why why not post this one?

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#44 Nunavuter

Nunavuter

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:05 AM

The Morse code at the start of this video is the radio signal Marconi sent across the Atlantic Ocean in 1901. It was the first trans-Atlantic radio signal.

Great Big Sea is a band from Newfoundland. If you have never heard of them, that only underscores a certain kind of injustice. This song rocks. Newfoundland lives by extracting the bounty of the ocean. It's not romantic. It's not theoretical. It's how they live.

#45 Nunavuter

Nunavuter

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:18 AM

The Ninth Wave, in its entirety. Kate Bush fans make videos for this because Kate could not. Songs about the sea are ultimately songs about sailors, as this half-hour suite of songs will drive home. Sadly, astronauts are now also sailors have been lost at sea. Columbia is a ship in this suite of songs. And when Kate sings about "a shooting star, going fast," the mythology of a soul turning into a shooting star and the reality of spacecraft becoming a shooting star unite. Kate didn't write that second chapter. It just happened.

#46 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:29 AM

The Morse code at the start of this video is the radio signal Marconi sent across the Atlantic Ocean in 1901. It was the first trans-Atlantic radio signal.

Great Big Sea is a band from Newfoundland. If you have never heard of them, that only underscores a certain kind of injustice. This song rocks. Newfoundland lives by extracting the bounty of the ocean. It's not romantic. It's not theoretical. It's how they live.

Didn't these guys get the memo that you're not supposed to write positive, hopeful songs anymore???

#47 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 05:04 AM

#48 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 05:26 AM

I never saw this video during my youthful days. Still can't believe they made one for it. Back in those days, this song helped form an image of a stormy northern British Isles coastline in my mind.

Garbage sound on the video.

Better quality.

#49 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:38 AM

I never saw this video during my youthful days. Still can't believe they made one for it. Back in those days, this song helped form a mental image of a stormy northern British Isles coastline in my mind.

Dun Ringill is a real place on the Isle of Skye in Scotland. Ian Anderson lived nearby and used to have a fish farm there.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Dun_Ringill

https://money.cnn.co...unu/jethro_pkg/

#50 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:40 AM

^^^ Yeah I actually read that yesterday about Dun Ringill and about Anderson living nearby at one point.

#51 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

Yeah I remember reading about his fish farm way back in the 80s. Interesting to see a story on it all these years later. I would say most artists don't have the head or discipline to run a business of this sort. Is he still doing it?

#52 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:41 PM

So Ian Anderson is —-

A Master of Bait.

#53 BK 2112

BK 2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:51 PM

1517638_619374591443573_234818946_n.jpg?

"Enjoy every sandwich" ~ Warren Zevon "You only ride the marble once" ~ My Father-in-Law "Might as well, can't dance" ~ also my F-i-L

#54 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:30 PM

Yeah I remember reading about his fish farm way back in the 80s. Interesting to see a story on it all these years later. I would say most artists don't have the head or discipline to run a business of this sort. Is he still doing it?

He sold it a few years ago.

http://www.tullpress.com/sc11nov94.htm

#55 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:54 PM

Are the operators of spaceships considered sailors?

If you’re having that, then I having Queen’s ‘39.

#56 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:59 PM

Classic Scottish pop from the 1980’s.

#57 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,192 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:04 AM

Not sure if our British posters ever heard of these guys.

Well, if not, here's a British act for you which I'm surprised hasn't showed up yet in this topic.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#58 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:02 AM

I thought about posting Rime early in the thread but thought I'd leave the honors to an actual metalist. I completely whiffed on I'm Your Captain though. 

#59 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:58 AM

#60 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:10 AM

I know of Grand Funk but I know the square root of diddly squat about Jimmy Buffett.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users