#22 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:02 AM

Pretty much the entire works of Alestorm qualify.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alestorm

#23 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:02 AM

More Alestorm.

#24 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:32 PM

I'm a Sailor peg!

And I lost my leg!

Climbin' up the topsails!

I lost my leg!!

#25 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:31 PM

Jethro Tull - Flying Dutchman

Jethro Tull - Seal driver

Ian Anderson watches you masturbate on land, air and sea

#26 Nunavuter

Nunavuter

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:06 PM

A song about a lake boat, as well as the sailors who served on her. This isn't funny or ironic or anything. The Great Lakes are a collection of inland seas. 'nuff said.

I nukshuk, You nukshuk. We all nukshuk.

#27 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:08 PM

There are any number of folk songs about sailors and the sea. Here’s Kris Drever’s version of an old Scottish folk song.

#28 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:12 PM

There’s Kate Bush’s Ninth Wave suite from Hounds of Love about a sailor swept into the sea. Unfortunately her management seem to be very assiduous at getting any videos of it removed from YouTube.

The Ninth Wave was a film, that's how I thought of it. It's the idea of this person being in the water, how they've got there, we don't know. But the idea is that they've been on a ship and they've been washed over the side so they're alone in this water. And I find that horrific imagery, the thought of being completely alone in all this water. And they've got a life jacket with a little light so that if anyone should be traveling at night they'll see the light and know they're there. And they're absolutely terrified, and they're completely alone at the mercy of their imagination, which again I personally find such a terrifying thing, the power of ones own imagination being let loose on something like that. And the idea that they've got it in their head that they mustn't fall asleep, because if you fall asleep when you're in the water, I've heard that you roll over and so you drown, so they're trying to keep themselves awake.

#29 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:23 PM

Jethro Tull - Flying Dutchman

Jethro Tull - Seal driver

Ian Anderson watches you masturbate on land, air and sea

I was just about to make you walk the plank for forgetting to post the masturbater watcher in chief. That's a lot of sea foam, matey!

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#30 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:30 PM

One of my favorite yacht rock songs. I feel like a cheese sandwich all of a sudden.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#31 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,192 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:21 PM

Heavily metaphorical, but the metaphor is quite nautical.

(though I wish this live version of Soul Cages had the energy of the album version, instead of slowing down to that obnoxious pseudo-jazz he got way too into in the 90's)

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#32 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:23 PM

Heavily metaphorical, but the metaphor is quite nautical.

10/10

Quite possibly my favorite song of his - and on my favorite album of his. Vinnie is brilliant here - and Manu is exquisite on the recording. Great selection.

#33 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:56 PM

NSFW

#34 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:27 PM

Nuna posted this on Facebook and like any pirate worth his sea salt I'm stealing it. NSFW!

#35 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:57 PM

Mike Batt Mona

Ahh an '80s influenced song of the sea... (And I don't mean 1780s.) The shanty singing sailors of old had no idea the Roland Jazz Chorus Amplifier would play such a vital role in their traditions. This song is like an abstinent Passage to Bangkok but with hoes. 

#36 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 12:09 AM

This drummer might be at the wrong gig but he's definitely in the right thread.

#37 Nunavuter

Nunavuter

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 12:41 AM

There’s Kate Bush’s Ninth Wave suite from Hounds of Love about a sailor swept into the sea. Unfortunately her management seem to be very assiduous at getting any videos of it removed from YouTube.

YouTube has all of The Ninth Wave and The Sky of Honey available in video form. Neither song suite ever had an official video. They go on for more than twenty minutes. Kate Bush has never pulled down the fan vids made for her epic suites. She wouldn't do that. Her record company might...but she would not. I'll give you the proper links.

#38 Nunavuter

Nunavuter

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:09 AM

"Soul Cages" by Sting has already been posted above. I was going to post that.

That song speaks of the sea, and unmerciful forces. The song also speaks about the unrequited love between a father and his son. Sting might be a badass, but in "Soul Cages" he is talking about how his own father never loved him. The sea is often a metaphor for unrequited love. Here is a song about the sea itself, sung in Portuguese. Portugal has a five-century long involvement with the sea. You don't need to understand the words. You will understand the feeling. Madredeus sings about loss, and how things drift away from you. 

#39 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:21 AM

^^^ Nice. Video goofs up at the end though.

#40 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:23 AM

Are the operators of spaceships considered sailors?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users