90 replies to this topic

#1 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:40 PM

Or sailing/sea related. Srsly, I think we should also include pirates.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#2 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:53 PM

:D 

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#3 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:13 PM

And in a lovely correlative coinkydink, here is the opening for the Popeye The Sailor Man episode "Blow Me Down!"

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#4 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:19 PM

I'm sensing some cultural appropriation going on here.

Ah the '70s. You had to be there.  ;)

#5 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:36 PM

And in a lovely correlative coinkydink, here is the opening for the Popeye The Sailor Man episode "Blow Me Down!"

...and this cartoon created by Max Fleischer. The surname literally translates to “butcher”...who, of course, handles meat.

Wow...this thread went off the rails in a hurry

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#6 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:37 PM

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:03 AM

Jacque Cousteau knew who the walrus was.

#8 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:11 AM

Wow...this thread went off the rails in a hurry

We both appear to be a little too interested in dick. :Light saber:

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

#9 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:14 AM

Yikes.

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 04:33 AM

^^^ Lol. 

I had a feeling with that thread title things could go gay pretty quick. lol. So here's the decidedly cis hetero Gordo' Lightfoot for balance.

Contains the lyric:

She's been lookin' like a queen in a sailor's dream
And she don't always say what she really means

#11 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:13 AM

From a pretty solid anime I quite enjoyed when I saw it almost a decade ago.

It's from the perspective of a girl looking up at the sky, knowing that her sailor beloved can see the same Northern Cross she can.

Within the context of the show, she's basically performing for a bunch of people in the military as a sort of USO thing (she's dating one of the pilots in the dogfight interspersed).

This is one of the times when the series extended the end credits song into the episode before them.  The other time, with Diamond Crevasse is a goddamn tearjerker.
It's not perfect, but people should check out Macross Frontier.  There's a fandub out there (it will NEVER see a legal US release; you Brits can probably find it though, maybe).

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#12 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:33 PM

#13 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:35 PM

Tomahawk Kid by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band based on Treasure Island

#14 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:30 PM

Escape (The Piña Colada Song) has the distinction of being the last #1 song of the 1970s in the US.

Check out the lyrics. I never knew (or had forgotten) what this song was up to until today. It's pretty much a rom-com in song form.

#15 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:40 AM

Hey baldiepete - years ago you shared some SAHB files with me - still listen to those. SAHB albums weren't always readily available in Canada back in the day. Was able to snag a near mint copy of the Live album back in the nineties and bought a cd compilation back then too. The rest of my SAHB comes from you

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

#16 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:33 AM

Here's a Canadian one for you folks.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#17 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:44 AM

^^^ Lol.

I had a feeling with that thread title things could go gay pretty quick. lol. So here's the decidedly cis hetero Gordo' Lightfoot for balance.

Contains the lyric:
She's been lookin' like a queen in a sailor's dream[/size]
And she don't always say what she really means[/size]

I love Sundown.

The song is about Cathy Smith - AKA the chick who killed John Belushi. She also killed Lightfoot’s marriage, and his checking account.

Fascinating info here:

https://en.m.wikiped...iki/Cathy_Smith

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,625 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:01 AM

I love Sundown.

The song is about Cathy Smith - AKA the chick who killed John Belushi. She also killed Lightfoot’s marriage, and his checking account.

Fascinating info here:

https://en.m.wikiped...iki/Cathy_Smith

Wow that is fantastic stuff. No wonder the song feels so moody and authentic. It's one of my all-time favorite radio hits so you're not alone there. I really miss that time when many top 40 songs were written for adults by adults. I love how he seems to refer to her as "Sundown." The lyrics are pretty much perfect. 

#19 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:26 AM

Hey baldiepete - years ago you shared some SAHB files with me - still listen to those. SAHB albums weren't always readily available in Canada back in the day. Was able to snag a near mint copy of the Live album back in the nineties and bought a cd compilation back then too. The rest of my SAHB comes from you

I’d completely forgotten that, I think you might have sent me back some Zappa. Of course these days it all on Spotify.

#20 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:33 AM

Mike Batt Mona

Eric Bogle Safe in the harbour

Alan Stivell Tri martolod (three saillors)

Stan Rogers lock keeper 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users