#21 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:09 AM

It's true. On his website Dirk called her Stardoe.

She was ten times the Starbuck he ever was.

#22 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:11 AM

So if the Doctor is now a she, and the Tardis loves the Doctor, does this mean that we might see the first Whovian lesbian kiss?

We kind of did with Bill Potts and The Pilot.

#23 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:41 PM

She was ten times the Starbuck he ever was.

True -
She was much more interesting as Starbuck.

Though Dirk did a great job with “The Return of Starbuck” which is one of those magical hidden artifacts of Sci-Fi television.

#24 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:50 PM

At least two other Time Lords have regenerated across sex lines before (one of them the Master), so this didn't come out of nowhere.
It boggles my mind that anyone is worked up over this.

Baffling comment. Don't you think that people can become attached to TV shows, or particular characters from them? Or perhaps you think a person's gender isn't really part of their identity?

#25 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:50 PM

Baffling comment. Don't you think that people can become attached to TV shows, or particular characters from them? Or perhaps you think a person's gender isn't really part of their identity?

Of course, but identity can change over a life - some people become gay or straight, or have gender changes, and genderfluidity is becoming more common.  Doctor Who reflects the times.  To me Jodie is as much The Doctor as Jon and Tom, and more so than the eighties incarnations.

#26 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:44 PM

In the history of the series, when was it established that the Doctor was without gender - or an alien life form?

Was the doctor always sexless/non binary or whatever?

#27 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,068 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:32 PM

Hello from Star Trek. We're over here trying to figure out where in the continuity Klingons ever shaved their fucking heads in times of war.

falconext.png

#28 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:52 AM

In the history of the series, when was it established that the Doctor was without gender - or an alien life form?

Alien - from the word go in 1963.

The ability to change gender became canon in 2014 when The Master did it.

#29 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:03 PM

Alien - from the word go in 1963.

The ability to change gender became canon in 2014 when The Master did it.

Canon my super-slim buns of steel behind. Never part of the original Who canon. When Dr Who first started he was accompanied by a female who specifically identified the Dr as her grandfather not grandnonbinarybeing, Sexual dimorphism is the true Timelord way. 

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#30 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:41 AM

Canon my super-slim buns of steel behind. Never part of the original Who canon. When Dr Who first started he was accompanied by a female who specifically identified the Dr as her grandfather not grandnonbinarybeing, Sexual dimorphism is the true Timelord way. 

Twelve explained to Bill Potts that Gallifrey is billions of years ahead of our “petty human obsession with gender”.

#31 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:06 PM

Twelve explained to Bill Potts that Gallifrey is billions of years ahead of our “petty human obsession with gender”.

That's our petty obsession with gender which has led to the feministas getting a female Dr Who installed. Just sayin'...

I still refuse to watch it. Although that's down to the fact that Dr Who is shit now - and the lovely Jenna's not in it...

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#32 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:45 AM

That's our petty obsession with gender which has led to the feministas getting a female Dr Who installed. Just sayin'...

I still refuse to watch it. Although that's down to the fact that Dr Who is shit now - and the lovely Jenna's not in it...

Sidney Newman wanted a woman back in the 1980s but the conservative Beeb wouldn't go for it.

I'd say it's maginally better that the average Eleven or Twelve episode so far.

It's true, Jenna is lovely.  But Mandip's fit too.

Mandip-Gill.jpg

#33 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:50 AM

^^^ Does she have 80 teeth or what?

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#34 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:00 AM

^^^ Does she have 80 teeth or what?

Thought teeth were important to Yanks.....

#35 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,653 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:01 AM

Thought teeth were important to Yanks.....

More of a compliment than anything else. Obviously, she's gorgeous. It just amazes how these beautiful people with their perfect jawlines make them look like they have 80 thousand teeth.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#36 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 12:28 PM

Of course, but identity can change over a life - some people become gay or straight, or have gender changes, and genderfluidity is becoming more common. Doctor Who reflects the times. To me Jodie is as much The Doctor as Jon and Tom, and more so than the eighties incarnations.

OK. If I might steer our conversation onto a saner tack for a moment, I would suggest that someone with a degree of attachment to the main character witnessing a change of identity to the point where he is now no longer even male will quite properly feel that Doctor Who has been abandoned; sacrificed at the altar of unthinking political correctness.

I mean - it could even be great science fiction entertainment, although it certainly isn't - but a radical change like that is an obvious catastrophe with respect to continuity and familiarity.

You might as well organise a sex change for Miss Marple. She's been portrayed, with some distinction, by Joan Hickson, Margaret Rutherford, Angela Lansbury and others - who might the BBC arrange to play a gender-reassigned Mister Marple for a new series - Idris Elba, maybe? Christian Bale?

But of course it doesn't work like that at the manbashing BBC, where your gender identity is only disposable if you're male. They wouldn't undermine a female character like that, even if she was white and middle class.

Here's a guy with a substantially more balanced and rational view than some I've seen espoused in this thread:

And here's a piece I wrote over a year ago, now - sadly - handsomely vindicated by the comical disaster that Doctor Who has become.

http://www.jamesgibbon.com/doctor-who/

#37 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:45 PM

What if it was a homosexual character turned straight.

Can’t have that.

#38 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:02 PM

OK. If I might steer our conversation onto a saner tack for a moment, I would suggest that someone with a degree of attachment to the main character witnessing a change of identity to the point where he is now no longer even male will quite properly feel that Doctor Who has been abandoned; sacrificed at the altar of unthinking political correctness.

I mean - it could even be great science fiction entertainment, although it certainly isn't - but a radical change like that is an obvious catastrophe with respect to continuity and familiarity.

You might as well organise a sex change for Miss Marple. She's been portrayed, with some distinction, by Joan Hickson, Margaret Rutherford, Angela Lansbury and others - who might the BBC arrange to play a gender-reassigned Mister Marple for a new series - Idris Elba, maybe? Christian Bale?

But of course it doesn't work like that at the manbashing BBC, where your gender identity is only disposable if you're male. They wouldn't undermine a female character like that, even if she was white and middle class.

Here's a guy with a substantially more balanced and rational view than some I've seen espoused in this thread:

And here's a piece I wrote over a year ago, now - sadly - handsomely vindicated by the comical disaster that Doctor Who has become.

http://www.jamesgibbon.com/doctor-who/

Curious to know why you don’t find my previous post sane.

Miss Marple won’t change gender because she isn’t a Gallifreyan who can regenerate. When DW was in a creative slump in the mid eighties, Michael Grade called Sydney Newman back, who suggested a woman to play The Doctor. Joanna Lumley, actually. But the Beeb bottled it and cast Sylvester McCoy.

As for comic disaster, I thought last Sunday’s ‘Rosa’ was among the very best episodes in all Who, new and old. At least for the first half it was up there with Line of Duty, Hard Sun, Bodyguard and Killing Eve as the best drama from BBC this year. I felt fear, real dread for Ryan and Yas and wanted them to hide in the TARDIS until The Doctor sorted it all out. But the message rang loud that if we don’t face evil, we are complicit in it.

#39 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,192 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:03 AM

Were people as scandalized the first time the Doctor changed his hair-color?  He was a goddamn SCOTT for Life #12(ish).
His tastes in food change.  His mannerisms change.

I think he's allowed to rotate the undercarriage every so often.  

Slim's resistance to this is baffling to me.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#40 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:13 AM

More of a compliment than anything else. Obviously, she's gorgeous. It just amazes how these beautiful people with their perfect jawlines make them look like they have 80 thousand teeth.

Also explodes this American stereotype about bad dentistry in Britain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users