#1 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:16 AM

I have enjoyed the first two Jodie Whittaker stories. She is immediately The Doctor. A mix of Tennant’s quickfire gob and Troughton’s quirky moral outrage.

Writing not up to Who’s best, but so far better than most of the disappointing Capaldi era.

Super budget and direction with eerie music.

#2 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:32 PM

It's an absolute disgrace. That it's a pitiful and misandrist assassination of a much-loved and culturally important fictional TV character would be bad enough, but it's also unmitigated politically correct garbage. An acquaintance of mine watched it with his little daughter, and about half way through she turned to him and asked "Daddy .. do we live in a country that's racist against white people?"

And yep, that's the BBC's agenda now, I'm afraid. If you're not ashamed to be white and middle class, they don't think they're doing their job properly.

#3 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:52 PM

It's an absolute disgrace. That it's a pitiful and misandrist assassination of a much-loved and culturally important fictional TV character would be bad enough, but it's also unmitigated politically correct garbage. An acquaintance of mine watched it with his little daughter, and about half way through she turned to him and asked "Daddy .. do we live in a country that's racist against white people?"

And yep, that's the BBC's agenda now, I'm afraid. If you're not ashamed to be white and middle class, they don't think they're doing their job properly.

Anything that increases equality looks like persecution to the privileged if they are not aware of their privilege. I am very aware of my white male privilege - these are two factors that make me powerful in British society - so equality doesn’t scare me.

Straightaway I think Jodie is doing a better job as The Doctor than Davison, Colin Baker and McCoy.

#4 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,242 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:29 PM

Anything that increases equality looks like persecution to the privileged if they are not aware of their privilege. I am very aware of my white male privilege - these are two factors that make me powerful in British society - so equality doesn’t scare me.

Straightaway I think Jodie is doing a better job as The Doctor than Davison, Colin Baker and McCoy.

I'm somewhere between these two viewpoints but for different reasons.

I am against reboots.  I feel like with many things it's as if we are all out of ideas, that every idea has already been explored and now lets take the same tired old stories and put women, people of color in them, put them in modern times, and make something "new" out of them.  It's not new.  That said, this is Doctor Who.  Every couple of years, built into the model, it has always been a "reboot" and of course the big reboot that came when they developed the series again after such a long absence.

How do you justify the fact that The Doctor is now a woman?  Well, you can if you remember that The Doctor "rules" are 12 generations.  So for 13, they did something different I guess.  I dislike doing this for politically correct reasons.  I don't mind when it supports/improves the story.  I liked the first episode.  I'll give it a chance.

#5 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:21 PM

Nonsense on all counts - the BBC has no interest in genuine equality, it despises you because of the privilege that it and you imagine, and Whittaker's "Doctor" isn't the Doctor at all.

#6 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:24 PM

Maybe she’ll show her tits.

Wait what thread is this again?

#7 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:19 PM

I refuse to watch it. I was barely watching it anyway - Old Dr Who Good, New Dr Who Bad - but this toadying to Political Correctness is beyond the pale. Dr Who is  bloke, there have been plenty of chick Time Lords - Time Ladies - if you will in the history of the programme as anybody who watched it before the reboot will know.

I'm sure Auntie thinks she knows best, but it's pursuit of "equality" is rather extreme. So long as Dr Who is male then I'm OK with him being Black/White/Brown/Yellow/Olive skinned, heck, even Red Indian, but he is most categorically NOT a woman. Worse than that, she's from Hoodezfield [sic] in Yorkshire *spits*

And of course, the Beeb is doing its bit for equality by employing people with ANTS - Absolutely No Talent Syndrome - like Bradley Bloody Walsh! NO! NO!!NO!!! NO!!!! NO!!!!!

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:01 PM

How do you justify the fact that The Doctor is now a woman?  Well, you can if you remember that The Doctor "rules" are 12 generations.  So for 13, they did something different I guess.  I dislike doing this for politically correct reasons.  I don't mind when it supports/improves the story.  I liked the first episode.  I'll give it a chance.

Sure. It’s to inject something fresh into a tired franchise. The word is that the BBC wanted to cast another man but Chibnall refused to be involved if The Doctor stayed male.

They’ve been telegraphing this change ever since the Neil Gaiman episode The Doctor’s Wife in season seven which referred to a Time Lord named The Corsair who changed gender. Then The Master changed gender, then The General did too, and her race at the same time.

I’d have made Eleven black - maybe Patterson Joseph or David Harewood, both of whom have an otherworldly outré quality.

#9 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:20 PM

I wonder who will play The Master, if they bring him/her back?

If Delgado was the suave Moriarty to Three’s dashing Sherlock, and Simm the manic foil to Tennant’s exuberant youth, and Gomez a mad Mary Poppins to Capaldi’s grumpy wizard, who will face Jodie?

They’ll have to get a sinister, edgy thirtysomething. Ruth Wilson would be good.

#10 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:34 PM

The Master has to be a bloke with a beard: is Roger Whittaker still living? He could whistle the theme tune too...

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:46 PM

what-happeneda-they-announced-a-woman-as

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#12 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:15 AM

I'm somewhere between these two viewpoints but for different reasons.

I am against reboots.  I feel like with many things it's as if we are all out of ideas, that every idea has already been explored and now lets take the same tired old stories and put women, people of color in them, put them in modern times, and make something "new" out of them.  It's not new.  That said, this is Doctor Who.  Every couple of years, built into the model, it has always been a "reboot" and of course the big reboot that came when they developed the series again after such a long absence.

At least two other Time Lords have regenerated across sex lines before (one of them the Master), so this didn't come out of nowhere.
It boggles my mind that anyone is worked up over this.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#13 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:17 AM

Sure. It’s to inject something fresh into a tired franchise. The word is that the BBC wanted to cast another man but Chibnall refused to be involved if The Doctor stayed male.

They’ve been telegraphing this change ever since the Neil Gaiman episode The Doctor’s Wife in season seven which referred to a Time Lord named The Corsair who changed gender. Then The Master changed gender, then The General did too, and her race at the same time.

I’d have made Eleven black - maybe Patterson Joseph or David Harewood, both of whom have an otherworldly outré quality.

We've already got Harewood playing Martian Manhunter over here on the occasionally-aspirational Supergirl series.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#14 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:41 AM

We've already got Harewood playing Martian Manhunter over here on the occasionally-aspirational Supergirl series.

Yep, saw that.

It’s a real shame that talented black British actors have had to go to the USA to get decent parts - Thandie and Chiwetel in numerous movie roles, Idris in The Wire, Lennie in The Walking Dead, Patterson in The Leftovers - rather than playing Thug #3 or Welfare Mum in some low budget Brit cop or hospital show. But thanks to the BBC this is now changing.

#15 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,242 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

At least two other Time Lords have regenerated across sex lines before (one of them the Master), so this didn't come out of nowhere.
It boggles my mind that anyone is worked up over this.

I personally am not worked up about it.  I actually like the show so far.  If you look at it from a creative standpoint, why do we recycle and reuse characters so much?  Why is every film either a remake or a sequel?  It wasn't like this ten years ago when we had people bold enough to take chances in entertainment.  Making Dr Who a woman as an act of bravery?!?! Bullshit.  It's safe.  Make a new character, new story, new type of program with a woman lead character that we have never seen before?  That would be brave.

#16 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:41 PM

Let's just enjoy it for what it is.

I like how Thirteen came make complex kit like her sonic out of random workshop equipment, like a manic Tony Stark.  I like her unconfident confidence - "I can fix that..... I think."

I like the new huge TARDIS control rom - shades of Nine and Ten's 'coral' look, with all that steel. 

What did the flappy cleanup mechanism say to her?  Something about family?  It's been a long time since we've seen grand-daughter Susan.  Or the lady at the end of Tennant's last story, who I rather figured to be The Doc's mother.

#17 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:48 AM

It's an absolute disgrace. That it's a pitiful and misandrist assassination of a much-loved and culturally important fictional TV character would be bad enough, but it's also unmitigated politically correct garbage.

You're fracking right!! Check out this feldercarb!!!

i-need-to-sit-down-for-this-one.jpg

falconext.png

#18 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:52 AM

So if the Doctor is now a she, and the Tardis loves the Doctor, does this mean that we might see the first Whovian lesbian kiss?

falconext.png

#19 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:56 AM

You're fracking right!! Check out this feldercarb!!!

i-need-to-sit-down-for-this-one.jpg

Didn’t Dirk get bent out of shape in regards to a female Starbuck? Do I remember that correctly?

#20 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:44 AM

Didn’t Dirk get bent out of shape in regards to a female Starbuck? Do I remember that correctly?

It's true. On his website Dirk called her Stardoe.

falconext.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users