#1 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:32 PM

I was pleased to see this (42 Down) in the New York Times Crossword Puzzle of 2 weeks ago:

0o4xENCl.jpg

Actually I wasn't too sure what was going on, until I realized the puzzle was a rebus, using a very clever trick of having to fit the word "pea" into certain squares:

xpeGil7l.jpg

This was part of a very clever gimmick by the puzzle constructor Nathan Last, who had a princess (here, Princess Leia, 53 across) on a mattress type (full) on top of a pea like in the fairy tale.  This trick was used 4 times in the puzzle (another example is Belle on Queen at 31-Across).

So this meant not only was the Professor in the puzzle, and clued brilliantly in reference to his insane drum kit, but he was also a critical answer in breaking the code of the puzzle.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#2 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:17 PM

Sure about this, old chap?

#3 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:03 PM

Looks a little sketchy to me...Portnoy is the correct number of letters though.

;)

#4 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:49 PM

And what "trick" fills in the last space of 67 across? "ing"?

#5 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:08 AM

And what "trick" fills in the last space of 67 across? "ing"?

The clue was type of court; the answer is "appeals".  So PEA is incorporated into both down & across answers.

Here's the full solution for the interested.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#6 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:13 AM

Another description of the puzzle here; it seems several people, like me, figured out the trick because we knew Neil Peart had to be the drummer in question.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:22 AM

I think Portnoy is a little too inside metal to appear in a NY Times crossword puzzle, especially in a hint pertaining to his drum set.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#8 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:55 AM

The clue was type of court; the answer is "appeals".  So PEA is incorporated into both down & across answers.

Here's the full solution for the interested.

HUH.

#9 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:19 AM

I hate crosswords

I hate The NY Times

I hate peas...third line

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#10 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:40 PM

I think Portnoy is a little too inside metal full of himself to appear in a NY Times crossword puzzle, especially in a hint pertaining to his drum set.

FIFY

#11 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:55 PM

Has this become a thing in crossword puzzles?  I've never seen this done before...

#12 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:59 AM

Has this become a thing in crossword puzzles?  I've never seen this done before...

Evidently. Yet another sign of the pending apocalypse.

#13 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:01 AM

FIFY

Ooh a fun game, who's worse. Peart or Portnoy? Both full of themselves in their own way... I can't imagine Portnoy whines as much, and is probably more fun at parties. I mean I can't stand DT but hey, being objective, unless the guy is King Prick of Prick Mountain, Portnoy probably wins this one.

#14 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:04 PM

For about 30 years, yes.  At least they've been increasingly common since then.

Here's a list of all rebus puzzles published in the New York Times.

They almost always appear on either Thursday or Sunday.  People who solve the Times puzzle regularly understand that Thursday tends to be "gimmick day" where you might see a rebus or some other unusual trick.  There are, for example, "Schrodinger puzzles" (link goes to examples) in which one (or possibly more) answer exists in one of two possible states, because the crossing answers through the word are acceptable answers with 2 possible letters.  The most famous of these was surely a Tuesday 1996 puzzle in which the middle spaces could plausibly read either BOBDOLE ELECTED or CLINTON ELECTED depending on your choice for crossing answers.  As an example, "Black Halloween animal" could either be BAT or CAT, and your choice gave you the first letter of Bob or Clinton.  Most Schrodingers appear on Thursday, but that Tuesday election day was an exception.  Other gimmicks involve unchecked squares (squares for with there is no crossing word, and thus must be inferred some other way).

In general, for the NYT, the Monday puzzle is easy, the Thursday puzzle has a gimmick, the Friday and Saturday puzzles have no "theme" and a lot of open space (fewer, longer entries), and the Sunday puzzle is large with usually a light, humorous theme but occasionally a more complex one like the PEA rebus.

LYqbjSn.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users