Rush02.JPG

#3 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,081 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:42 PM

It's really nice to hear he's growing and developing and is in full alternate tuning mode.  That's a brilliant way to discover new things.  Also excited to hear he has done some things with Don Felder, also one of my favorite lead guitarists, who has a great way of phrasing things.  For a short solo, it's hard to match the one on "One of These Nights".  Try to imagine Junior Walker playing that on saxophone to hear what influenced it.  As for Rush/Geddy/Alex, they're musicians.  It's their lifeblood.  I'm sure Geddy and Alex will do something together eventually.  Projects will be projects but musical friends always find a way.

#4 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:38 PM

Thanks, interesting stuff. I confess I'm having trouble accepting that the nylon-strung guitar panning between the left and right channels in A Farewell To Kings is the result of Alex walking around on gravel while it was recorded. For one thing - how would the guitar have been mic-ed up, for that to happen? And for another - where's the scrunch of suede trainers on gravel?

#5 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,081 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:01 PM

Thanks, interesting stuff. I confess I'm having trouble accepting that the nylon-strung guitar panning between the left and right channels in A Farewell To Kings is the result of Alex walking around on gravel while it was recorded. For one thing - how would the guitar have been mic-ed up, for that to happen? And for another - where's the scrunch of suede trainers on gravel?

Maybe they miked it and amplified it?  Only way that was possible.  I do remember sometime ago there being an interview where they recorded "outdoors" in this manner.  I didn't know acoustically.

#6 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:15 AM

I think Alex recorded the solo for Limelight out of doors.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#7 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:48 AM

Well I've just googled it, and from:

https://www.louderso...rewell-to-kings

Spotting a rare interlude in among the constant drizzle, drummer Neil Peart is quickly out on the cobbles, toying with some percussion blocks, their repercussive zing bouncing sharply off the surrounding bricks.

Somewhere above the collective heads of Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and producer Terry Brown, a light bulb sparks into life.

Brown brings a stereo mic out to the centre of the courtyard and wires it up as Lifeson looks on, strumming his acoustic guitar. It’s quiet, birds chirrup, and in the distance, a nonplussed herd of sheep stand at the fence. “Those knocking sounds at the beginning of Xanadu,” says Lee, rapping on the oak table between us for effect, “that’s the sound of the courtyard, the natural sound of that square. We got such a nice reflection off the buildings, we knew we could use them in some way.

“The guitar at the start of A Farewell To Kings, the title song, was recorded outside too. The acoustic was recorded out there to get that really crisp sound and I remember Alex was walking around this mic that Terry had set up while he was playing. He was just like a troubadour – he was playing as he walked around and, naturally, every troubadour has his guy trailing behind him playing a Minimoog!

“So I’m playing the Minimoog outside and Neil’s hitting the twinklies or whatever he was hitting off the front of that – he was always hitting something – and Alex is walking around this mic recording the opening to A Farewell To Kings, so it was quite fun. You can hear the Welsh birds singing in the background, unless they flew in from somewhere else – they could be accidentals, as they’re called in the trade.

“Farewell… was quite a different piece for us, because of the way the intro’s structured, and then it comes in with a bang and there’s this weird time signature going on. It’s a tough song to play.”

“We set up on the cobblestone courtyard with a pair of mics and created our own stereo spread,” says Lifeson. “I do recall walking back and forth, trying to concentrate on my playing while not crashing into Neil.

#8 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,849 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:41 PM

Could he have really gotten the sound he did with a mic outside?

You can hear the ambiance - the crunching grass, etc. Especially on the remaster. However, the acoustic itself sounds like it was recorded properly in a studio. To me at least.

falconext.png

#9 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,081 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:34 PM

Could he have really gotten the sound he did with a mic outside?

You can hear the ambiance - the crunching grass, etc. Especially on the remaster. However, the acoustic itself sounds like it was recorded properly in a studio. To me at least.

Yes, the guitar sounded very dry but it could be natural echo vs tape delay and less of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users