#1 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 06 October 2018 - 11:25 AM

Back in a band again, mainly late seventies pop-rock, punk and New Wave covers. Bass and a bit of backing vocals.

I want to develop by getting a keyboard. Something like a Roland Juno. Studied piano as a kid for four years. No great shakes, but I know chord shapes and have the basic finger dexterity. Any thoughts?

#2 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:32 PM

Get one Geddy uses. Press one key with one finger and play a whole symphony...

Hey...where's Perry?

#3 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 06 October 2018 - 03:43 PM

If you're just looking for synthetic sounds, the Behringer Deepmind 12 is probably about the best bang for buck around right now. 12-voice analog synth that was semi-inspired by the Juno 106 but is far more flexible and has good on-board effects and iPad/PC/Mac software for editing and patch management. (Would want to check out some of the third-party sound libraries for more vintage-type patches, btw.)

On the used market, a Virus is always a versatile performer. (Be aware the 61-key keyboard versions of the Viruses are fairly heavy things to cart around, but have some of the nicest-feeling keybeds you'll find in a synth.)

If you want non-synthetic sounds like pianos as well, it's not an area I'm as up to date on since I get those sounds from software, myself. There are several workstation-type keyboards on the market all the time, though. Yamaha, for example, just rolled out the MODX, which is a lower-cost version of the Montage series that combines a modernized version of FM synthesis with multi-sampled sounds like pianos. Roland FA-06 might be a possibility too.

Anyway, those are a handful of possible options out of several.

#4 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:42 PM

If you're just looking for synthetic sounds, the Behringer Deepmind 12 is probably about the best bang for buck around right now. 12-voice analog synth that was semi-inspired by the Juno 106 but is far more flexible and has good on-board effects and iPad/PC/Mac software for editing and patch management. (Would want to check out some of the third-party sound libraries for more vintage-type patches, btw.)

On the used market, a Virus is always a versatile performer. (Be aware the 61-key keyboard versions of the Viruses are fairly heavy things to cart around, but have some of the nicest-feeling keybeds you'll find in a synth.)

If you want non-synthetic sounds like pianos as well, it's not an area I'm as up to date on since I get those sounds from software, myself. There are several workstation-type keyboards on the market all the time, though. Yamaha, for example, just rolled out the MODX, which is a lower-cost version of the Montage series that combines a modernized version of FM synthesis with multi-sampled sounds like pianos. Roland FA-06 might be a possibility too.

Anyway, those are a handful of possible options out of several.

Thank you.  The Behringer does look neat, but I would like five octaves.

Looks like the Roland Juno DS61 is the beast I would like.

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:52 AM

I like my Roland Juno G which I bought around '08. It has a lot of great atmospheric sounds, spacey alien stuff, punchy basses, soft basses, patches covering all the genres including orchestral stuff, nice strings, sound FX, drums and percussion of all types, an excellent cathedral organ and a beautiful grand piano. Really, it has more sounds than I would ever have use for.

It had a 2006 to 2012 production run according to Wiki. Not a heavy keyboard user really. I mainly use the sounds for coloration on rock song demos (on the rare occasion I actually record one) but I have composed a couple short pieces in their entirety on it. It has an inboard 4 tracker that works well. I had to expand it's memory to record songs longer than, I believe, 60 seconds. I had to open the thing up to install the card and it was actually pretty hard to snap in. I thought I'd gotten the wrong card and that I may had broken my keyboard. But it worked fine when I turned it back on.

But the Juno-G is old news. I have a Rhodes electric piano plugin that is mind blowing. The modeling has really advanced with plugins. I'm sure newer keyboards blow the Juno-G away too. The point is, I've had a good experience with this keyboard and with Roland products generally. I also own their Boss GT-6 effects processor and Boss DR-880 drum machine. I haven't had any problems with any of these but I don't run them that often and they've pretty much stayed at home since I bought them in the mid-2000s. Carting gear around from gig to gig is when you find out how road tough it is and my band days more or less ended in 1993. Wow time flies.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#6 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 07 October 2018 - 05:48 PM

Ahhh, for some reason when you said "Juno" I was thinking you wanted something with a similar vibe to the original Junos from the 1980's (consequence of hanging out at synth forums where '80s analog poly synths are highly desired by many people).

That's true, if it's to be your only keyboard, it would be nice to have at least 5 octaves. As a side note, it does look like Behringer have listened to users pushing for larger keybeds - the conceptual renderings of the Oberheim OB-Xa remake they're working on (the UB-Xa) show a keyboard version with 5 octaves. I'm eager to see/hear how that turns out but it probably won't materialize until at least late 2019.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users