79 replies to this topic

#61 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:43 AM

'2112 (Live In Arizona-1978)' plays about 3% too slow. 

2q3n8dx.jpg

#62 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:40 AM

Wow just like the Twilight Zone included in the 2112 box set played at the wrong speed. Any upgrade in sq for the Pink Pop stuff?

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

#63 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:05 AM

It’s noticeably slow. I was thinking it was deliberate - another Peart timekeeping thing.

#64 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:41 AM

No, there is no upgrade in sound quality for the Pinkpop show as compared to several popular bootlegs. Not in my opinion. I haven't had time to do a deeper dive on it.

#65 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:04 PM

Good to know - I was hoping for the kind of upgrade that would be obvious from first listen - the kind of upgrade we got when that WMMS station rebroadcast the Agora shows when Geddy released MFH. Clear cut head and shoulders better than previously circulating versions.

I'll wait until the new year and possibly reconsider purchasing this but I've purchased Hemispheres a half dozen times - as a Rush consumer I think I've earned my bonafides - I expect better when it comes to "vault" releases. They need one of us as an adviser when it comes to the unreleased material

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

#66 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,250 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:07 PM

Good to know - I was hoping for the kind of upgrade that would be obvious from first listen - the kind of upgrade we got when that WMMS station rebroadcast the Agora shows when Geddy released MFH. Clear cut head and shoulders better than previously circulating versions.

I'll wait until the new year and possibly reconsider purchasing this but I've purchased Hemispheres a half dozen times - as a Rush consumer I think I've earned my bonafides - I expect better when it comes to "vault" releases. They need one of us as an adviser when it comes to the unreleased material

Yes, but now this time, they are even more at arm's length from the re-releases having sold the catalog off.  I imagine anything major or new would come from greater band involvement ie profit from these releases.  The record company likely has all they can sell already and that is likely all they are able to release.  I'm sure somewhere in Alex's or Terry's basement are alternate studio takes and other sorts of gold we would come to expect from legitimate repackaging.  Just look at what The Cars have done with their re-releases.  A lot of gold in them thar vaults!

#67 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:26 PM

Yes - to be clear, I do not lay this at the band's feet. This Ole. Now I'm not dumping all over Ole - packaging is nice it's just that they need someone with a good handle on the whole "unreleased" thing and realize that there's some increased sales in offering up  quality, uncirculated material. Not sure how restrained they are budget wise or if the deal they made with Anthem included access to any and all recordings Alex/Geddy/Neil/Howie/Terry/Ray may have. I mean just a soundboard tape of any Hemisphere's show that isn't Detroit/Tucson/Frankfurt/Pink Pop, would have been more welcome than what was offered up here. 

I don't want to sound negative - I'm happy the effort is being made but I don't think I'm alone in this opinion

#68 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,250 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:47 PM

I don't want to sound negative - I'm happy the effort is being made but I don't think I'm alone in this opinion

You're not.  The only reason they do these things isn't just for people like us to buy it again.  They get higher placement because it's a new release vs a catalog buy.  That means shelf space and placement on websites.  Maybe somehow this introduces Rush to a new audience.  One can only hope.

#69 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:25 PM

So I bought the 2CD edition and it plopped through the door today. Haven't listened to it yet.

Nice to see that the Newcastle City Hall pic with the smoke bombs turns up in the booklet - I'm in there somewhere.

Will have a listen later. I do like the packaging. I very rarely buy music in a physical format these days so it's a bit of a novelty.

#70 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:50 PM

Well I'm not sure I'll be listening to the rest of the Tucson recording - five minutes in and it does sound rough, both as a performance and a recording.

#71 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,068 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:32 PM

I have to admit that I'm bummed out over the lack of cover songs on this release. I thought the quality of covers was great on the 2112 and AF2K 40's, and was pumped to hear someone else's take on LVS, Trees, and Circumstances.  

The LVS from that 1996 'tribute' is passable (Stu Hamm was the big name on that version, or was it Billy Sheehan?... hard to remember) but a little old at this point.

Thought it would be a thing for us to have an ongoing catalog of covers by modern (and maybe some vintage) players. Oh well, guess it cut into Ole's profit margins to have to pay the talent...

falconext.png

#72 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:20 PM

I liked those too. I loved Alain Johannes’s take on Madrigal - way better than the original.

And AiC’s version of Tears is great.

#73 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 12:47 AM

There is a lengthy pause before the Dionysus section begins. Not super noticeable, but you can hear the end of the first section fade and then dead silence for a second. It actually sounds pretty dramatic. Reviewer is probably a cunt.

It is super noticeable to me - I found it really jarring and it took me right out of the experience. It can only be an error. I can fix it in Audacity (not compared it closely to the '90s remaster yet, might not be worth it) but it's a terrible flaw to my mind.

#74 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:43 AM

It is super noticeable to me - I found it really jarring and it took me right out of the experience. It can only be an error. I can fix it in Audacity (not compared it closely to the '90s remaster yet, might not be worth it) but it's a terrible flaw to my mind.

Indeed there is a flaw in the transition from 'I. "Prelude"' into 'II. "Apollo (Bringer of Wisdom)"''. -- the flaw is that the fade out stops short.  This youtube video shows this:

https://youtu.be/fN0Du99auQc

#75 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:05 AM

Indeed there is a flaw in the transition from 'I. "Prelude"' into 'II. "Apollo (Bringer of Wisdom)"''. -- the flaw is that the fade out stops short.  This youtube video shows this:

https://youtu.be/fN0Du99auQc

I've just compared the 40th Anniversary version to the '90s remaster in Audacity, and interestingly - that is not the problem. The actual problem is that the 40th Anniversary version doesn't fade out soon enough.

On the remaster, the duration of the fade out from that last climactic chord at 4:20 is about 5.18 seconds.

On the anniversary version, that chord is sustained quite a bit longer in the fade out - for 6.58 seconds - after which it stops abruptly.

The timing from that last chord to the next section is near identical - there's no more than 0.01 seconds in it. So there's actually more of a silent gap in the '90s remaster version.

Remaster:

hemi_o.png

Anniversary:

hemi_4.png

#76 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:21 PM

I've just compared the 40th Anniversary version to the '90s remaster in Audacity, and interestingly - that is not the problem. The actual problem is that the 40th Anniversary version doesn't fade out soon enough.

On the remaster, the duration of the fade out from that last climactic chord at 4:20 is about 5.18 seconds.

On the anniversary version, that chord is sustained quite a bit longer in the fade out - for 6.58 seconds - after which it stops abruptly.

EDIT: I measured ~0.14 seconds

My point about the fade was that on the 40th-anniv, the fade stops suddenly -- it's not smooth and it's very noticeable. It's a small defect for sure, but again one would expect the upmost level of quality on this thing =)

#77 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:21 PM

Yes, it sounds awful and it's lamentable that they'd go to so much trouble with the packaging, remastering and all that without actually doing a quality check at some point.

#78 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:26 PM

Yes, it sounds awful and it's lamentable that they'd go to so much trouble with the packaging, remastering and all that without actually doing a quality check at some point.

Actually sorry, I'm correcting myself, I measured ~0.14 seconds difference (timing from that last chord to the next section) but I measured against the original Hemispheres CD release ,... I know this is nit-picky and not really important but just thought I would clarify =)

#79 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:02 PM

I measured about the same. I don't have a turntable currently or I'd see what the timing on the vinyl is.

But the timing of the next part kicking in annoys me only slightly, and I probably wouldn't have noticed it unless I'd measured it.

#80 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:03 PM

Probably happened in mastering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users