#21 bytor11

bytor11

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationChicago 'Burb

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:19 PM

My friend had this question, does Rush get any money from this or does Ole? I figured Rush had to be making money from these anniversary editions else they have no motivation to put them out. Neither of us know what that Ole deal encompasses.

#22 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:25 PM

This is the laziest reissue. Not surprised Rush is releasing slightly studio doctored up bootlegs, they've done it before. Surprised they don't have more dates tucked in the vault. We know there are soundboards from Detroit and Frankfurt from the Hemispheres tour. 

It's frustrating isn't it. They go with the truncated recording of Pink Pop. The Hemispheres tour had a gargantuan set list. One has to admire the effort is must have taken to tour that album i) Cygnus/Hemispheres must have been a bitch to sing night in and night out ii) the epics By-tor/Xanadu medley, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres and then the set closer 2112 just for good measure and iii) the tour runs from October 1978 thru to the first week of June 1979 visiting 9 countries. This was a massive effort on part of the band and crew, it really deserves a better audio documentation. The board tapes are great to have but the way the set list ran, Hemispheres (the song) usually gets spliced. I guess they used C-120 cassettes. But there is no evidence or even mentions afaik, that any Hemisphere shows were recorded with a multi-track mobile. Odd as I did read an interview that at some point they thought they might release a live album from the tour at the time. 

Them using that audience recording of The Twilight Zone on the 2112 Deluxe set (running at the wrong speed and inferior sq to what circulates no less!) tells me that whoever is compiling these sets has study enough to know some things but isn't a long time collector/follower of Rush.

I understand that a multi-track recording of a complete Hemispheres show simply may not exist but if the effort to put together such a nice package is made, why not do the best you can with the audio documentation? And to my mind that means search for the lowest possible generation tapes and even if you have to Frankenstein it, make the show as complete as possible.

Getting the full AFTK show was fantastic, this is a bit of a lunch bag letdown. Hopefully they secured the master broadcast tape for the Pink Pop material, but somehow I doubt it. I'll forgive them for any short comings in this set but if they do an anniversary set for PeW and MP/ESL, there is no good reason to not have complete show recordings of those tours. We know they recorded those tours on multi-track. Please no St. Louis rehash!

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

#23 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:53 PM

One has to admire the effort is must have taken to tour that album i) Cygnus/Hemispheres must have been a bitch to sing night in and night out ii) the epics By-tor/Xanadu medley, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres and then the set closer 2112 just for good measure and iii) the tour runs from October 1978 thru to the first week of June 1979 visiting 9 countries. This was a massive effort on part of the band and crew, it really deserves a better audio documentation.

I think that was the best of all the UK Rush tours - the Tour Of The Hemispheres. Unfortunate that there's never been a decent live recording, not officially anyway.

#24 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:13 PM

My friend had this question, does Rush get any money from this or does Ole? I figured Rush had to be making money from these anniversary editions else they have no motivation to put them out. Neither of us know what that Ole deal encompasses.

I believe Ole bought the entire catalog a few years back from Rush/Anthem. So short answer is “no”, though perhaps they probably still get a small cut of all sales.

#25 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:15 PM

The Pinkpop boot sounds pretty great, though there are barely any hemispheres songs featured on the recording!

#26 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:55 PM

I would gnaw my own leg off at the knee to get a properly produced multitrack recording of the Glasgow Apollo gig where they recorded CttH on the PeW tour. Presumably they recorded the whole show. I suppose it could be on the PeW 40th anniversary release.

#27 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,150 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:44 AM

I don’t believe so. There likely though is promotional pay if they do interviews for it. There may be a sales bonus but no regular dollars coming to them through this.

#28 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:59 AM

Rush do music for the money!? I thought it was just for love!

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#29 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:51 AM

Here:

https://www.hollywoo...by-indie-708268

#30 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:17 AM

I don’t believe so. There likely though is promotional pay if they do interviews for it. There may be a sales bonus but no regular dollars coming to them through this.

Wouldn't they always at least have the right to the royalties (writing and performing) of the material? I'd presume those transfer even if someone "bought the entire catalog" as a previous poster mentions?

#31 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:26 AM

I believe that lump sum sale gave Ole access to their master recordings and permission to license the rush brand. Rush benefits by getting all that money up front. I doubt rush surrendered all of its publishing.However the licensing, master recordings, their old images etc. are probably out of their hands as a result of the sale.

#32 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:30 AM

My theory is that these bootleg recordings arent coming from rush at all. Ole is reaching out to the bootleg owners directly and probably threatening to sue them if they don’t hand them over!

#33 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:44 AM

My theory is that these bootleg recordings arent coming from rush at all. Ole is reaching out to the bootleg owners directly and probably threatening to sue them if they don’t hand them over!

Nobody really owns a bootleg though. So given that Ole owns the catalog now, they are probably in the best position to publish any boot they choose.

Of course, if someone is still burning CD's or distributing something that's become official, they're in for a world of legal hurt.

falconext.png

#34 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:32 AM

Here's the mp3 version of A Desert Passage - PE, November 20, 1978

https://drive.google...39RD5MLGMBn42Zk

#35 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:21 AM

I believe that lump sum sale gave Ole access to their master recordings and permission to license the rush brand. Rush benefits by getting all that money up front. I doubt rush surrendered all of its publishing.However the licensing, master recordings, their old images etc. are probably out of their hands as a result of the sale.

I think the labels own of the masters so any permission to use them would probably have to go through them.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#36 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:32 AM

There must be thousands of copies of Rush boots out there so that doesn’t seem likely. They could just download them from Dimeadozen, Traders Den or other sites. I reckon some of the dodgy euro Rush releases such as Rush ABC 1974 were obtained this way. I bought it, ripped it and had a look at it in Audition and it was obviously MP3 sourced. You’d get a better copy by downloading a lossless version of Fifth Order of Angels.

#37 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:40 AM

That's reminded me of something that's pertinent to a discussion we had here a few months ago. I'll see if I can dig it out.

#38 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,150 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:57 PM

That's what the Zappa Family Trust did a while back.  The thing about Zappa is that he recorded absolutely everything anyway so this was unnecessary.  His "studio" live albums had live tracks on them.  A lot of people don't realize that Sheik Yerbouti was actually a live recording.

#39 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:27 PM

If Ole is just getting copies of freely circulating shows, then the least that could be done is hire someone who is a whiz with spectral editors and sound engineering and polish up material they're going to release. As stated previously I hope they did a search to acquire the source tapes but somehow I doubt it.

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

#40 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:31 PM

If Ole is just getting copies of freely circulating shows, then the least that could be done is hire someone who is a whiz with spectral editors and sound engineering and polish up material they're going to release. As stated previously I hope they did a search to acquire the source tapes but somehow I doubt it.

They might not have had to go far. I'm not speaking factually, but I think Ian recorded that show. He may well have had the originals.

falconext.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users