#2 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:58 PM

90% called it =)  http://rushmessagebo...res-40th-anniv/

Although the announcement says the Pinkpop audio is 'newly restored'. It was already in stereo so this probably means they EQ'ed it only.

As I said, we Rush fans already had so many great soundboard recordings from this era, so we were already spoiled =)

#3 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:25 PM

Fantastic. I assume there'll be a non-vinyl version?

I'll never forget the first time I heard Hemispheres.

#4 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:10 PM

Don’t much see the point of buying that album again. Already got a copy.....

#5 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:25 PM

Fantastic. I assume there'll be a non-vinyl version?

I'll never forget the first time I heard Hemispheres.

There’s a 2 CD version. Hemispheres on disk 1 and Pinkpop on disk 2. Since the first few minutes of 2112 at Pinkpop wasn’t recorded they’ve dropped in an unreleased version from Tucson in 1978.

#6 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:59 PM

I think the board went right to a 2 track recorder, so not much else they could do with the tracks other than EQ and maybe other digital tweaking.

It is very nice to see that show go official. People who haven't heard the boot are in for a treat!

falconext.png

#7 currygoat11

currygoat11

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:45 PM

There are people who haven't heard the June 4 1979 Pinkpop show? If they haven't heard it by now, they're not true fans LOL

#8 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:13 PM

I remember hearing it on BBC Radio One in late 1979. Captured it for posterity to a Chromium Dioxide cassette there and then, and I still have that somewhere.

#9 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:25 PM

Sign me up for the SuperDeluxe with WATER BOTTLE! wOOt!!!!!!

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,600 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:59 PM

There are people who haven't heard the June 4 1979 Pinkpop show? If they haven't heard it by now, they're not true fans LOL

Colour me not a true fan. I own no bootlegs nor have I heard any I was aware of.

I take part of that back. I own some kind of non-official release on vinyl that I bought at a used record store a long time ago because I only knew it was Rush. Maybe listened to it once or twice.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#11 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 03:16 AM

Side 2 commenced with the hard-driving commentary on English culture “Circumstances,” followed by the socially aware and environmentally conscious FM radio hit “The Trees,”

WHAT? "Hard driving" "commentary" on "English Culture" WHAT? Are we talking about the same song?

Now - "socially aware" and "environmentally conscious" ???!! An even bigger corker considering the obvious Libertarian/Objectivist message in the song (no matter how much Neil tries to claim it's just a "silly song" or whatever)....

#12 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:28 AM

I haven’t. I’ve got ATWAS and ESL, and I have never wanted to collect multiple recordings of the same songs. 

#13 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:28 AM

Colour me not a true fan. I own no bootlegs nor have I heard any I was aware of.

I take part of that back. I own some kind of non-official release on vinyl that I bought at a used record store a long time ago because I only knew it was Rush. Maybe listened to it once or twice.

There is a RUSH BOOTS page on facebook for those interested.  The interviews, Rockline with Bob Coburn have been getting posted.

#14 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,150 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:06 PM

Side 2 commenced with the hard-driving commentary on English culture “Circumstances,” followed by the socially aware and environmentally conscious FM radio hit “The Trees,”

WHAT? "Hard driving" "commentary" on "English Culture" WHAT? Are we talking about the same song?

Now - "socially aware" and "environmentally conscious" ???!! An even bigger corker considering the obvious Libertarian/Objectivist message in the song (no matter how much Neil tries to claim it's just a "silly song" or whatever)....

Yeah I saw that too. Hard driving commentary on English culture? I believe the for idiots version of that went like this:

I went to England. I missed home. It’s still the same shit everyday

#15 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:17 PM

Shit! I'll likely buy this but the live material to be included has me skeptical. First off Pink Pop and Tucson are well circulated shows, a new date would be ideal for the live music collector. Secondly it ain't just the first part of 2112 that's missing from the Pink Pop set.  Thirdly, I see no assurances or claims of the source tapes used for the live material in this set. Neither Pink Pop or Tucson were super crisp low gen sounding. They were great compared to many other bootlegs but nothing that approached something like St. Louis 1980. 

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

#16 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,150 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:02 AM

Shit! I'll likely buy this but the live material to be included has me skeptical. First off Pink Pop and Tucson are well circulated shows, a new date would be ideal for the live music collector. Secondly it ain't just the first part of 2112 that's missing from the Pink Pop set. Thirdly, I see no assurances or claims of the source tapes used for the live material in this set. Neither Pink Pop or Tucson were super crisp low gen sounding. They were great compared to many other bootlegs but nothing that approached something like St. Louis 1980.

Right. St Louis 1980 is still the gold standard. I would much prefer these came with alternate mixes that were really something different or better yet alternate studio takes. Well circulated shows are kind of ho hum but they never seem to put these things out for us, just for people who put Tom Sawyer on repeat

#17 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:38 AM

OK some geeking out here. In the product description it says "the recording engineer failed to capture the first several minutes of 2112". This is unlikely as 2112 immediately followed La Villa and even in the pro video you can here the 2112 opening after LVS. More likely an editor at the radio station, cut up the Rush set for broadcast and the missing parts are lost in the mists of time. 

More geeking out, here's a snippet of viz from Pink Pop that's isn't LVS, that I've never seen before

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:57 AM

^^^ Good lord, the dancing of some of those fans. That vid could go in my Bad Dancing thread.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#19 bytor11

bytor11

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationChicago 'Burb

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:00 PM

This is the laziest reissue. Not surprised Rush is releasing slightly studio doctored up bootlegs, they've done it before. Surprised they don't have more dates tucked in the vault. We know there are soundboards from Detroit and Frankfurt from the Hemispheres tour. 

#20 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:08 PM

Shit! I'll likely buy this but the live material to be included has me skeptical. First off Pink Pop and Tucson are well circulated shows, a new date would be ideal for the live music collector. Secondly it ain't just the first part of 2112 that's missing from the Pink Pop set.  Thirdly, I see no assurances or claims of the source tapes used for the live material in this set. Neither Pink Pop or Tucson were super crisp low gen sounding. They were great compared to many other bootlegs but nothing that approached something like St. Louis 1980. 

If nothing else this does show that well-distributed ROIO recordings can hurt official releases - because although you've said you'll buy it yourself, I suspect quite a few people won't, because they've got similar free stuff.

Still. I don't really care too much about that, given the number of people who've bought official releases of the same album several times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users