Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:16 PM

Top 10 Gerry Anderson title sequences.

https://www.gerryand...itle-sequences/

Thunderbirds categorically #1 but I would put UFO and Joe 90 higher.

#42 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:53 PM

UFO would be my own number 1. I used to get fairly frequent business trips to the US in the late '90s and I'd play the theme music surreptitiously on my portable minidisk player to enhance the excitement as the aircraft hurtled along the runway to take off.

One thing that's notable now when you look at old clips is that all the puppet characters had guns. The Spectrum agents had guns. Fair enough, they were a sort of quasi-military organisation. But the International Rescue boys had guns, as well. There's an episode where Gordon Tracy shoots a saboteur just as he's parachuting out of a plane - not in self-defence or anything, just as a sort of instant justice. Everyone in SHADO had a gun, so did the Aliens. The Space 1999 characters had guns. Troy Tempest and Phones had them. Steve Zodiac had one, a "space pistol". Even Joe 90, supposedly a nine year old boy, had his own fucking gun.

And so did I, I had loads of toy guns when I was a kid. I had the Joe 90 briefcase, with a gun. I had a Napoleon Solo gun. I had a James Bond gun (actually a toy Walther P38, not a PPK). I had a plastic M16, I had a Belgian FN. I had a Johnny Seven, designed to make you a "one man army" capable of killing people in seven different ways. I had cap-firing "cowboy pistols". I had a Mauser C96 that also fired caps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users