#1 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:08 AM

Bravo.

Energized, youthful, fun, tight, badass. Wakeman just enjoying the performance. God bless that guy.

Rhythm section just sells it here.

Seems to be the only Yes worth seeing. They are much tighter now than they were last year.

#2 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:13 AM

^^^ Pensioners representin'!!!

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#3 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:15 AM

Some blue-hairs in that crowd for certain.

#4 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:15 AM

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:18 AM

They're super well rehearsed.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#6 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:29 AM

Sort of surprised the Howe incarnation of Yes would do that one. The Rabin version sounds a lot better as presented here but of course it's been produced for a commercial video release. There's speculation that Anderson's vocals have been autotuned.

I really think the official Yes should have stopped as soon as Chris Squire died but they seem to have a philosophy that they keep going no matter what. And that's why no-one in the original lineup that recorded their first two albums is left in that band now.

Just noticed from the video that Lee Pomeroy is the bass player in the ARW band. He played bass with Take That for a while, and a few years ago was in the rather diminished version of It Bites that was reduced to playing pubs.

#7 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:31 AM

They're super well rehearsed.

Seems to be a wayward cymbal hit at 1:22 (in the Anderson version)

#8 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:35 PM

Sort of surprised the Howe incarnation of Yes would do that one. The Rabin version sounds a lot better as presented here but of course it's been produced for a commercial video release. There's speculation that Anderson's vocals have been autotuned.

I really think the official Yes should have stopped as soon as Chris Squire died but they seem to have a philosophy that they keep going no matter what. And that's why no-one in the original lineup that recorded their first two albums is left in that band now.

Just noticed from the video that Lee Pomeroy is the bass player in the ARW band. He played bass with Take That for a while, and a few years ago was in the rather diminished version of It Bites that was reduced to playing pubs.

Yeah it’s not really fair to compare both bands playing Owner. There are boots of ARW and Anderson sounds fine in those, but yes there is definitely autotune here, which makes everything worse.

ARW does a version of And You and I that is pretty frustrating since they omit a major part of the song for some reason. But it still sounds pretty good.

It seems the rhythm section in the other Yes has kinda collapsed and that it has to do with physical limitations as a result of old age. Not really fair to criticize that either.

#9 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 04:07 PM

It seems the rhythm section in the other Yes has kinda collapsed and that it has to do with physical limitations as a result of old age. Not really fair to criticize that either.

I could agree with your last point if they gave the tickets away for free with a warning on the back that the band's sell-by date had expired.

#10 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:45 PM

I could agree with your last point if they gave the tickets away for free with a warning on the back that the band's sell-by date had expired.

and a free 1.75 liter of Vodka.

#11 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:53 PM

and a free 1.75 liter of Vodka.

Are litres a thing in the US now? I wish the whole world would go metric.

#12 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:59 PM

Are litres a thing in the US now? I wish the whole world would go metric.

For booze it's been a thing since I can remember.

#13 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:59 PM

I used to be able to pick out auto-tune, but I can't there.  I think he sounds damn good.  I'm guessing the technology has come a long way from where it used to be so glaringly apparent. *shrug*

Either way, I still think it sounds good.  

#14 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:11 PM

I saw this a few nights ago and really enjoyed it. I gather there was some patching in of vocal lines and such from other performances - ARW sounds very good in the boots on YT but not quite that dead-on with everything. Obviously there was quite a bit of that done with some of Rush's concert vids too and it's a common practice, trying to polish things up for an official video release and present sort of an "idealized" version using the best bits of different shows.

I suppose it's sacrilege to those who prefer Howe, but I've always liked Rabin's take on "I've Seen All Good People" better than the original. It's almost surreal to see Rabin back onstage in general - I'd kind of given up expecting to ever see it. Now that they've gotten back in the groove, it would be nice to hear something new from them. Between Rabin's former knack for hooky choruses and his more ambitious instrumental explorations on later recordings and Rick's clearly undiminished ability to dazzle, there is at least the potential there to do some interesting stuff together.

#15 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:58 PM

^^^

I’m so torn between Rabin and Howe. I guess ultimately they are the best at playing their own material.

Howe really is incredible - his work speaks for itself.

Rabin’s accomplishments in rock is more narrow, but damn he is still an explosive guitar player. He has a flow that Howe does not possess. Rabin adds a certain fluidity to the performances and in an incredible way, supports Anderson’s singing - a dude who is not David Lee Roth or Bruce Dickinson. A guy that sings like a choir boy. There are places where Rabin is going almost heavy metal and it just works.

#16 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

Sounds like an above average tribute band on the bar circuit. But the cellphone recording probably has a lot to do with that.

#17 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:02 PM

Bravo.

Energized, youthful, fun, tight, badass. Wakeman just enjoying the performance. God bless that guy.

Rhythm section just sells it here.

Seems to be the only Yes worth seeing. They are much tighter now than they were last year.

Rabin looks like that cool but disreputable 1970s uncle that shows up back in town every year or two, always has alcohol on his breath and may or may not have done a stretch in prison during the mid-60s.

#18 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:10 PM

I typically avoid anyone named Trevor.

Uncle Trevor? No way man.

#19 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member