#41 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:06 PM

Years ago when I still had a turntable, I found a mint copy of the Rick Wakeman album White Rock at a record fair. I paid a couple of quid for it. It wasn't out on CD at the time, probably still isn't. It was composed as a soundtrack to the official film of the '76 Winter Olympics.

whiterock.jpg

I was genuinely taken aback that Saturday afternoon in 2004 or so when I took it home and played it. The 20-odd intervening years had been extremely unkind to it. It sounded almost comical now. There's one tune that starts as a really quite beautiful, reflective Bach-ish grand piano piece, then after a minute or two a Mini Moog blasts in on top of it. I don't know what it must have sounded at the time - modern? Clever?

Similarly for the moog solo in ELP’s Lucky Man which is jarringly out of place. I guess Emerson didn’t have much to do in the rest of the song so he chucks in that utterly pointless contribution.

#42 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:07 PM

Nothing they ever recorded can be as silly as wearing kimonos on stage

Meh. I actually liked that look goofy as it was. Lent to the fantasy aspect of Rush. Anyway, I look at that choice as influenced by the glam movement of the time. 

AFAIK, no one teases Bowie or Bolan for this wardrobe. Hell, I even saw a 70s video of a glam band that had a guy onstage wearing a full-on dress. lol.

David-Bowie-1973-by-Sukita.jpg

bolan-1.jpg

Sweet

Sweet_promotional_photo.jpg

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#43 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:12 PM

Meh. I actually liked that look goofy as it was. Lent to the fantasy aspect of Rush. Anyway, I look at that choice as influenced by the glam movement of the time. 

AFAIK, no one teases Bowie or Bolan this wardrobe. Hell, I even saw a 70s video of a glam band that had a guy onstage wearing a full-on dress. lol.

David-Bowie-1973-by-Sukita.jpg

bolan-1.jpg

Sweet

Sweet_promotional_photo.jpg

It wasn't the clothes; it was the photographer!

#44 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:24 PM

It wasn't the clothes; it was the photographer!

He was in his camel-toe period.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#45 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:52 PM

Years ago when I still had a turntable, I found a mint copy of the Rick Wakeman album White Rock at a record fair. I paid a couple of quid for it. It wasn't out on CD at the time, probably still isn't. It was composed as a soundtrack to the official film of the '76 Winter Olympics.

whiterock.jpg

I was genuinely taken aback that Saturday afternoon in 2004 or so when I took it home and played it. The 20-odd intervening years had been extremely unkind to it. It sounded almost comical now. There's one tune that starts as a really quite beautiful, reflective Bach-ish grand piano piece, then after a minute or two a Mini Moog blasts in on top of it. I don't know what it must have sounded at the time - modern? Clever?

Yeah this is pretty unlistenable.

#46 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:05 AM

Awkward much?  Yeah.  Sounds like a guy who never got laid writing about getting laid.

High school poetry written by a virgin.

I do love that song though.

#47 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:07 AM

It basically comes down to this:

If Neil is forcing you to imagine him naked, the lyrics aren't that great.

You could always try picturing Geddy naked. lol.

#48 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:14 AM

whiterock.jpg

That album must be awesome for all the wrong reasons. :)

#49 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:43 AM

A lot of my choices have already been mentioned:

- "That's nice" and the RTB rap - otherwise I like the rest of the spoken word stuff that appears

- various lyrics

Ones that haven't been mentioned:

- the screechy "wish them well!" in that song, sounds like it was recorded once and punched in with ProTools.  Hate the sound of it.

- Geddy's yodeling/whimpering like a puppy on Snakes & Arrows

- nothing says "I'm out of ideas" like the lyrics to "Anagram for Mongo".  It's really all very clever but by listening to the song would you have figured out what he's doing with the words?  It's something meant to be read off the printed page, not sung as lyrics, especially to some fairly lame music.

"Tough-talking hood boys in pro-team logo knock-offs"

- heck, pretty much 80% of Counterparts, Presto, RTB and S&A makes me cringe.

#50 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:36 AM

I will confess to really liking some of the moments that have been identified as cringeworthy in this thread.

#51 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,150 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:35 PM

I will confess to really liking some of the moments that have been identified as cringeworthy in this thread.

Sometimes I would be amused by them, or say, "cool" but I would never share them with non-Rush fans.  Not shared on a first-time-listened Rush playlist for anyone, that's for sure.

#52 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:30 PM

"I can't stop thinking big" repeats. Neil should have added another line instead.

Same with "One little victory".

#53 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:04 AM

"I can't stop thinking big" repeats. Neil should have added another line instead.

Especially since the music is repetitive too, certainly is on the latter.

#54 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:32 AM

Good to see some old CPeeps(CPeeps,that's kinda cringey actually) making their way back to the board. I take the bad with the good when I listen to my Rush, I try not to critique it too much. YOU folks try and write some awesome lyrics, fer cryin' out loud!!! That said, a couple are pretty bad...

< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#55 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:34 AM

Solid point.

#56 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:09 AM

Especially since the music is repetitive too, certainly is on the latter.

That's a problem with certain sections of New Rush songs. Low information, low inspiration. Animate springs to mind. The lyrics are too sparsely sprinkled over far too repetitious and plodding sections. Might have been okay had the melody been more interesting. The song is over six minutes long. It should be more like four and a half. 

"Polarize me....sensitize me.....criticize me.....civilize me".... just shoot me!

That said, I did find a video that makes the song more interesting....

Zoom to 3:00

#57 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

To me, the end of Marathon is just so silly sounding. You have this huge, sweeping orchestral choir keyboard part, which wouldn't be out of place during the climatic scene of The Lord of the Rings, and here's poor Neil running away from it for dear life on his little Hello Kitty drum set. Alex is nowhere to be seen having already been subsumed by this tsunami of Geddy's ego in the lead up to the final choruses.  :D

#58 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:58 PM

That's a problem with certain sections of New Rush songs. Low information, low inspiration. Animate springs to mind. The lyrics are too sparsely sprinkled over far too repetitious and plodding sections. Might have been okay had the melody been more interesting. The song is over six minutes long. It should be more like four and a half. 

"Polarize me....sensitize me.....criticize me.....civilize me".... just shoot me!

That said, I did find a video that makes the song more interesting....

Zoom to 3:00

To me, musically, "Animate" is a slow build.  So is "Marathon".  They begin sparsely and then just add a whole bunch of nuances.  I actually like those songs for that reason, but yes, you can do it in 4 vs 6.  They could start adding the layers sooner.

Here is a better way to do this kind of build, IMO.  Generates the same emotional gravitas, albeit with a burst into the complexity rather than a crawl.

#59 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:11 PM

^^^ Peak Pearl Jam.

#60 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:37 PM

"Tough-talking hood boys in pro-team logo knock-offs"

Yep. This one right here. Along with the net boy and net girl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users