Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:12 PM

Naked in our unity....

Laughed out loud at that.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#22 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:15 PM

Red Sector A. I get that it's very personal and all that but damn the keyboard stabs etc are just awful, as well as the electronic drums. The last time I saw them play it live (R30) it was just a giant cheese fest, couldn't help but just to laugh through the damn thing.

Neil's use of electronic drums during that period just makes me sad now.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#23 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:18 PM

That end screaming in Cygnus X-1. It ruins the song.

falconext.png

#24 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:19 PM

Net boy, net girl
Send your impulse 'round the world
Put your message in a modem
And throw it in the Cyber Sea

Never bothered me that much. He's not trying to write a software manual.

#25 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:21 PM

I enjoy those very much and am glad they added that creativity and element to their tunes.

The laughing during the intro to Big Money

"Goo Mash Goo" during LVS

The radio play at the end of Countdown

Villagers yelling at the Witch Hunt

Agreed. That kind of stuff is what makes them a non-normie band.

#26 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:35 PM

Nobody’s Hero.

Honestly- if they just flopped the first and second verses it’d be less cringey.

“I knew he was different in his sexuality...”

What are we - 12?!?

Really- there’s no other way to say your friend was gay?

And Geddy’s delivery is just awful. Blech.

I'm not a fan of this song. I almost feel politically incorrect saying that but it has nothing to do with the lyrical content per se. I'm sure Neil is sincere but for some reason he comes off as insincere in this song. Sounds awkward.

#27 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:38 PM

Presto.

So unintentionally funny (I still love it).

But the whole - ahem- fancy keyboard flourish after “If I could wave my magic wand” just conjures a silly euphemism.

Haha! I never caught that!

#28 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:47 PM

I couldn’t say, I’ve had FBN for more than 40 years but I think I’ve only ever listened to Rivendell all the way through once.

It was never intended to be listened to all the way through. It takes only about 30 seconds for the malware to infect the listener's brain.

#29 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:54 PM

I see Neil as a pretty awkward guy so lyrics that sound awkward are at least an honest reflection of the writer

lyrically CP/T4E were low points for me

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

#30 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:38 AM

I see Neil as a pretty awkward guy so lyrics that sound awkward are at least an honest reflection of the writer

lyrically CP/T4E were low points for me

Yep I think he checked out writing those. Musically he was still present though.

#31 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:02 AM

We'd elect each other president

#32 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:13 AM

We'd elect each other president

Yuck. CP could do with a complete set of new lyrics. Since they ended up writing the music and lyrics pretty much independently of each other that shouldn’t be a problem ;)

#33 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:54 AM

Nothing they ever recorded can be as silly as wearing kimonos on stage

#34 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:29 AM

Nothing they ever recorded can be as silly as wearing kimonos on stage

Some of the stuff they wore in the 80s and the haricuts, were just as bad, in their own way.

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

#35 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:54 PM

Cold Fire lyrics are particularly horrible and fill me with a sense of deep shame for Neil for having written such garbage.

A dark spot in the history of the universe.

#36 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:16 PM

Cold Fire lyrics are particularly horrible and fill me with a sense of deep shame for Neil for having written such garbage.

Geddy presented this brilliantly on the road. He set it up comedically, with Lifeson playing a little ho-down. Sometimes it helps presenting Peart’s lyrics as comedy.

#37 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,150 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:04 PM

I don’t think Neil writes well about new technology. The Body Electric is a cringe fest from beginning to end.

I think technology has to be experienced first-hand.  You can tell whenever a detached from technology writer writes something about tech.  It always uses the wrong terminology and always sounds strange.

Any song - including the beloved 2112 and the revered Subdivisions - where there is a spoken voice.  It is the worst.  I am not crazy about Chain Lightning ( I love the "sundogs..." section), but that ending "That's nice" is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever heard.  Like, I would never play that song in front of another human being.

OMG Yes!  "That's nice" ruins an otherwise decent song.

Naked in our unity....

Awkward much?  Yeah.  Sounds like a guy who never got laid writing about getting laid.

Red Sector A. I get that it's very personal and all that but damn the keyboard stabs etc are just awful, as well as the electronic drums. The last time I saw them play it live (R30) it was just a giant cheese fest, couldn't help but just to laugh through the damn thing.

There are synth sounds that are timeless and synth sounds that sound so dated.  This would be the latter.  Listen to Depeche Mode and there are hardly any synth sounds there that would sound out of place today based on the ratio of good to bad.

I enjoy those very much and am glad they added that creativity and element to their tunes.

The laughing during the intro to Big Money

"Goo Mash Goo" during LVS

The radio play at the end of Countdown

Villagers yelling at the Witch Hunt

These don't bother me as much.

Jack. Relax.

OMG the doucheiest ever!!!!  Just horrible.  Let's make this the most contrived cliched rap crap imaginable guys!!!

Nobody’s Hero.

Honestly- if they just flopped the first and second verses it’d be less cringey.

“I knew he was different in his sexuality...”

What are we - 12?!?

Really- there’s no other way to say your friend was gay?

And Geddy’s delivery is just awful. Blech.

Again, much like "naked in our unity".  Sounds like it was written by a person who never experienced the world.

#38 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:55 PM

Surprised to hear that because I remember that I really rather liked those lyrics. Hate the song though.

#39 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:01 PM

It basically comes down to this:

If Neil is forcing you to imagine him naked, the lyrics aren't that great.

#40 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:07 PM

There are synth sounds that are timeless and synth sounds that sound so dated.  This would be the latter.  Listen to Depeche Mode and there are hardly any synth sounds there that would sound out of place today based on the ratio of good to bad.

Years ago when I still had a turntable, I found a mint copy of the Rick Wakeman album White Rock at a record fair. I paid a couple of quid for it. It wasn't out on CD at the time, probably still isn't. It was composed as a soundtrack to the official film of the '76 Winter Olympics.

whiterock.jpg

I was genuinely taken aback that Saturday afternoon in 2004 or so when I took it home and played it. The 20-odd intervening years had been extremely unkind to it. It sounded almost comical now. There's one tune that starts as a really quite beautiful, reflective Bach-ish grand piano piece, then after a minute or two a Mini Moog blasts in on top of it. I don't know what it must have sounded at the time - modern? Clever?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users