#41 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:29 PM

Listening to Subdvisions now and you are right. The guitar sound IS heavier. It’s just buried quite a bit. But then the solo happens and all is forgiven.

Pretty much every live version of Subdivisions is better than the original because there is much more prominent guitar. My favourite Subdivisions moment was on the S&A tour when after the dirge fest that opened the 2nd set (5 tracks from S&A) the keyboard riff for Subdivisions kicked in. There were grown men hugging each other thankful that the long nightmare was finally over :lol: (I saw 5 shows on that tour :o )

#42 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:54 PM

I only saw one on that tour, but I took something to read during the S&A tunes as I'd been forewarned.

#43 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:48 PM

Signals sounds muddy to me - Alex is hard to hear through the synths. I love the songs, though.

And like grep, it was the first new Rush album that I bought.

Same here, both in regards to production and album. First new one I bought, and first concert I went to, at the Lakeland Civic Center. Jon Butcher Axis opened.

#44 ClassicB

ClassicB

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:52 PM

To me, Signals was the end of old RUSH. Signals still had that bottom end sound of the Taurus Pedals and classic Ricky Growl along with real Analog synths. Going forward with GUP, Neil started with the electronic drum crap and Geddy with his decade long Bass guitar "head scratchers" (Steinberger and Wals).

#45 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationFLA

Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:52 PM

Pretty much every live version of Subdivisions is better than the original because there is much more prominent guitar. My favourite Subdivisions moment was on the S&A tour when after the dirge fest that opened the 2nd set (5 tracks from S&A) the keyboard riff for Subdivisions kicked in. There were grown men hugging each other thankful that the long nightmare was finally over :lol: (I saw 5 shows on that tour :o )

An old friend of mine who went for the first time for 20+ years said the same thing. Up to that point, he said he had never seen such a downcast group of owerweight balding middle aged men so unhappy at a concert (including him).

#46 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:42 PM

:shrug:

#47 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for reminding me, you evil bastard :lol:

#48 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:49 PM

Seriously brutal.

#49 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:42 PM

That section replaced Roll The Bones as the bathroom break signal on that tour.

Pics don't lie.

3.jpg

Ithoughtyoudsellmoretickets.jpg

IMG_5953adj.jpg

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#50 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:46 PM

I wonder how things in he band were at the time!

In full panic mode at the way MTV was overhauling the musical landscape? :)

I find it interesting that during that time they actually could have transitioned into the metal scene that was already getting big. Parts of 2112 were basically the mid-70s version of metal so I think they already had the tools. But they may have had to dumb themselves down a bit to blend into the early 80s metal scene and that would have been a deal breaker. Instead they went with infusing their hard rock sound with New Wave and Reggae which was arguably the bigger leap and the bigger test for their fans even though they'd already set the stage with small experiments in those styles on PeW and MP.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#51 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:58 PM

I find it interesting that during that time they actually could have transitioned into the metal scene that was already getting big. Parts of 2112 were basically the mid-70s version of metal so I think they already had the tools. But they may have had to dumb themselves down a bit to blend into the early 80s metal scene and that would have been a deal breaker. Instead they went with infusing their hard rock sound with New Wave and Reggae which was arguably the bigger leap and the bigger test for their fans even though they'd already set the stage with small experiments in those styles on PeW and MP.

:o

Cue Nick in 5,4,3 ...

#52 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:32 PM

Unfortunately the inherent limitations of vinyl mean that Signals, with analogue synths fighting with guitars for the same bit of the frequency spectrum, will never sound that great on that medium.

Not so fast senior Slim.  I have the reissue of Signals on vinyl and I have said again and again I think it's the best sounding version I've heard.  No joking.  It's somehow less muddy to these ears.  No idea how, but it is.  I recommend that Rush wax to anyone who asks if the vinyl reissues are worth it.  Listened to at ridiculous volume of course.  ;)

#53 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:36 PM

2, 1...

Eh? Wots MTV?

All of 2112 was METAL

And METAL fans had already accepted Reggae viz Scorpions [sic] Is there Anybody There on Lovedrive and Judas Priest's The Rage. Rush were really lagging behind the METAL Gods.

I could say more, but I'm doing this on a Tablet.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#54 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:03 PM

In one of the the signals boot videos on YouTube I’m pretty sure - though it’s tough to see in such high resolution VHS footage- NP is wearing a skinny tie.

#55 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:41 PM

^^^ lol.

#56 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:42 PM

In one of the the signals boot videos on YouTube I’m pretty sure - though it’s tough to see in such high resolution VHS footage- NP is wearing a skinny tie.

Even Alice Cooper went new wave. Jesus... er I mean Slim. But he switched back to metal after it became a phenomenon.

#57 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:49 PM

Eh? Wots MTV?

All of 2112 was METAL

Even Tears?

And METAL fans had already accepted Reggae viz Scorpions [sic] Is there Anybody There on Lovedrive and Judas Priest's The Rage. Rush were really lagging behind the METAL Gods.

Will listen.

I could say more, but I'm doing this on a Tablet.

OH PLEEZ DO!!!!

#58 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:51 PM

:o

Cue Nick in 5,4,3 ...

How is that controversial? lol.

#59 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:20 PM

How is that controversial? lol.

My interpretation of the phrase “Mid 70’s version of metal” is that you’re implying that Rush weren’t really metal and that some form of true metal only came in to existence later. There’s no need to qualify “metal” with “mid 70’s”. Nick has made many comments that 70’s Rush were a heavy metal band (and he’s right). Hence my expectation of a comment from him.

Rereading it I don’t think that’s what you meant but it’s how I interpreted it.

#60 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,150 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:23 AM

Signals is when most of my friends who were die hard Rush fans stopped being Rush fans. I hung on somehow but it was harder. It was the KISS Dynasty of the Rush catalog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users