#1 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:42 AM

Dug my CD out of the cupboard and listened to it a few times on a 300-mile drive.

I still really like it. Countdown still makes my hair (such as is left) stand on end, remembering that London gig in 1983.

#2 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:25 PM

I like it a lot, especially Subdivisions, The Analog Kid .. actually I've just had a look through the list of tracks and pretty much everything is in that "especially" category except Countdown which for me has always been a clunker.

Always thought Steve Strange should have had a co-writing credit for The Weapon.

#3 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:00 PM

It's got some of Geddy's most busy basswork on it, which I can no longer play because of the progression of my arthritis. I did transcriptions of Digital Man and The Analog Kid in the early nineties. I would love to have seen Chemistry live once over the years. And I love the specific memories it brings back of where I was at the time I first got it. I tape-dubbed it from a friend in '85. I didn't own my own proper copy until '93 or so.

Hey...where's Perry?

#4 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:15 PM

That album, for me, is one that still connects start to finish.  Very emotional and I love it!

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#5 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:58 PM

SIG was my first new Rush album, as I'd discovered them in April 1981 with Limelight and MP.

I remember being at the record shop on release day, bought a copy of it on cassette fresh out of the box. Still have that somewhere. Which started a never-broken tradition for me of picking up their records on release day.

I really like most of the record. Subdivisions, Analog, Losing It, and Countdown are in my permanent rotation list. Digital Man, I didn't come to appreciate until the SNA tour when it was played live. Great bass line.

For a lot of folks this record is where the New Rush Bad begins. Not me . IMHO, electric, modern, laser driven Rush started here.

falconext.png

#6 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 08 September 2018 - 03:35 PM

It was a ballsy record and change of direction coming off MP. It delivered...has always resonated with me.

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#7 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 07:49 PM

I think this album contains Geddy's best vocal performances.

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#8 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:24 PM

So many great moments. Solo on Analog Kid. The intro to Digital Man. All of Losing It. 10/10

It’s aged better than MP —-maybe?

#9 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:04 PM

It's an odd masterpiece and might answer the question, "What band did the biggest career 180 in the history of rock 'n' roll?" I just wish it hadn't caused their separation with Terry.  Together, who knows how many more masterworks they had left in them?

When I first heard Subdivisions it was like, " Where the fuck is Alex?" But really it might be the album, even for just its bravery alone, that elevated them to superhero status. 

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:11 PM

I like it a lot, especially Subdivisions, The Analog Kid .. actually I've just had a look through the list of tracks and pretty much everything is in that "especially" category except Countdown which for me has always been a clunker.

Always thought Steve Strange should have had a co-writing credit for The Weapon.

Video unavailable.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#11 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:22 PM

Someone has to counter this circle-jerk of a Signals love in. I detested Signals when it came out and although my opinion of it has improved with age, and now I would say it’s better than most of their later albums, when it came out it was one of their worst two albums (vying with the debut for that dubious accolade). My current opinion ties in with that of Alex (quoted from the authorised book Contents Under Pressure).

‘Certainly on Signals there was a conflict, I think between the guitar and the keyboards we were using’ says Alex. ‘For me, that’s always been a bit of a sore spot on that record. Because I think there’s good material on there, but I think the production on it is lacking. To me that record doesn’t sound that great.’

#12 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:18 PM

Signals was pretty good but GUP was better.  Better mix, more energy and emotion, better use of synths relative to guitars, far better vocals (among Geddy's best IMO).

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#13 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:49 PM

SIG was my first new Rush album, as I'd discovered them in April 1981 with Limelight and MP.

I remember being at the record shop on release day, bought a copy of it on cassette fresh out of the box. Still have that somewhere. Which started a never-broken tradition for me of picking up their records on release day.

I really like most of the record. Subdivisions, Analog, Losing It, and Countdown are in my permanent rotation list. Digital Man, I didn't come to appreciate until the SNA tour when it was played live. Great bass line.

For a lot of folks this record is where the New Rush Bad begins. Not me . IMHO, electric, modern, laser driven Rush started here.

It was my first new one as well (as well as my first Rush concert).  A friend had played me ATWAS, which led to me 2112, MP and ESL (which I believe had just come out) and everything in between.  Signals was definitely different, but that's what intrigued me.  The overall sound is a little thin, but the album had a big impact on me. I just knew I would be going on a musical journey with them.  Subdivisions remains one of my top 3 favorite songs.

#14 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:02 PM

GUP has a lot going for it but a number of the songs feel blocky and repetitious to me. And songs like, say, Red Lenses and The Body Electric are kind of bloodless for Rush. And The Enemy Within sounds like a Police reject. It's shockingly derivative but it was the early '80s and they were in change or die mode. But the majority of the songs work on the album. Do they ever. Its overall bleak aural aesthetic was actually groundbreaking for hard rock at the time, in my estimation. I wouldn't be surprised if it directly influenced Trent Reznor.

#15 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:07 PM

Someone has to counter this circle-jerk of a Signals love in.

6hMpxOQ.gif

#16 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:57 PM

GUP has a lot going for it but a number of the songs feel blocky and repetitious to me. And songs like, say, Red Lenses and The Body Electric are kind of bloodless for Rush. And The Enemy Within sounds like a Police reject. It's shockingly derivative but it was the early '80s and they were in change or die mode. But the majority of the songs work on the album. Do they ever. Its overall bleak aural aesthetic was actually groundbreaking for hard rock at the time, in my estimation. I wouldn't be surprised if it directly influenced Trent Reznor.

So true. Perhaps their best concept album.

#17 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:58 PM

Someone has to counter this circle-jerk of a Signals love in. I detested Signals when it came out and although my opinion of it has improved with age, and now I would say it’s better than most of their later albums, when it came out it was one of their worst two albums (vying with the debut for that dubious accolade). My current opinion ties in with that of Alex (quoted from the authorised book Contents Under Pressure).

Alex got his revenge by tracking 1000 guitars for Vapor Trails.

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 12:00 AM

^^^ lol.

#19 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 09 September 2018 - 12:07 AM

Alex got his revenge by tracking 1000 guitars for Vapor Trails.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. :lol:

#20 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 09 September 2018 - 03:22 AM

So many great moments. Solo on Analog Kid. The intro to Digital Man. All of Losing It. 10/10

It’s aged better than MP —-maybe?

MP has aged better.  But Analog Kid - oh man, what a brilliant song. 

LYqbjSn.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users