#41 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:25 PM

Same book. Some bullshit about how overweight Americans insist on wearing their belts below their bellies.

Edit. I stopped reading his stuff after Ghost Rider. The comments about everyday people really turned me off. I lost a lot of respect for the man. 

If I didn't know better I'd be tempted to excuse that based on what he was going through but I think we all know better. I don't know about anyone else but I liked Peart a lot more 30 years ago when we really didn't know nearly as much about him as we do now.

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

#42 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:26 PM

Didn't he also make some rude remarks about overweight people in one of his books? Yikes. That kind of thing really is inexcusable.

No it isn't. Fat people are fat because they are greedy and have no self control 99 times out of a 100. Shame the porkers!

Funny though that Rush ditched Ross Halfin after he moaned about fat Seppos.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#43 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:32 PM

I remember that from Ghost Rider.

Another gem from that book. He rode into a hotel area where there was a singles meetup for middle-aged people. The thing that stands out for me the most is that he mentioned their "fucking nametags". They were bussed in, and they're wearing fucking nametags.

Like real condescending shit.

Sorry dude. Not everyone can be Neil Peart from Rush, with the resources to be able to ride around for 2 1/2 years and do nothing other than get his head together.   Some of us just have to do the best we can with what we have. Thank you very much.

I gave him a pass for that - he was raw from the terrible events of the past year. Perhaps it was jealousy - the hopefulness of a fulfilling relationship vs. the terrible end of one.

No question he was made bitter by those events - the little time he spent with them, only for them to die way too soon. I'm getting a bit choked up even thinking about it.

He's a guy who always considered himself smarter than most (Kurdosh interview) but there was no explaining the WHY of losing his family like he did. Talk about a mindfuck for a guy who doesn't believe in predestination, or God or what-have-you.

I feel a good deal of sympathy for the old codger.

#44 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:33 PM

I really don't understand how people can approach a celeb in real life, interrupting their dinners or their beers, or as they rush to their connecting flights. How often that must happen to them. And if you're really famous, you have to deal with paparazzi in your face and in your bushes. Fame is definitely a double-edged sword.

I think most people are pretty understanding about this and aren't nutso fans. And famous people can do well to actually expect this and be gracious about it. Only the real problem cases are an exception and in that case it would be appropriate to deal with them exceptionally (e.g. call restaurant security or what have you). Neil basically put himself at the very far end of the no-tolerance spectrum when he could've just figured how to deal ("why should I have to" - says the narcissist) and saved himself years of trouble, not to mention we wouldn't all be going "oh yeay" whenever someone brings up ANOTHER case of what a dick he was.

Like I say, severely tarnished legacy....

#45 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:34 PM

No it isn't. Fat people are fat because they are greedy and have no self control 99 times out of a 100. Shame the porkers!

Thanks for reminding me to go running after work.

#46 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:36 PM

It would be different though If I somehow got invited to a private party where Neil was also one of the guests. That's a different social context. Mingling at parties is to be expected. I still wouldn't approach him cold though knowing how his reputation precedes him. But if I were properly introduced, then why not? 

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#47 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:38 PM

I gave him a pass for that - he was raw from the terrible events of the past year. Perhaps it was jealousy - the hopefulness of a fulfilling relationship vs. the terrible end of one.

No question he was made bitter by those events - the little time he spent with them, only for them to die way too soon. I'm getting a bit choked up even thinking about it.

He's a guy who always considered himself smarter than most (Kurdosh interview) but there was no explaining the WHY of losing his family like he did. Talk about a mindfuck for a guy who doesn't believe in predestination, or God or what-have-you.

I feel a good deal of sympathy for the old codger.

While the book is made up of notes he took during his long ride, it was actually formally written/compiled and edited AFTER he met Carrie.  A conscious decision was made editorially to keep those comments in - probably at NP's insistence.

falconext.png

#48 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:38 PM

It would be different though If I somehow got invited to a private party where Neil is also one of the guests. That's a different social context. Mingling at parties is to be expected. I still wouldn't approach him cold though knowing how his reputation precedes him. But if I were properly introduced, then why not? 

The nice thing to know about this scenario is that he'd be a disappointment (knowing his history). So why bother? Thanks Neil!

#49 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:39 PM

It would be different though If I somehow got invited to a private party where Neil is also one of the guests. That's a different social context. Mingling at parties is to be expected. I still wouldn't approach him cold though knowing how his reputation precedes him. But if I were properly introduced, then why not? 

Right, at something like that I'd think anyone that is above talking to me would be a dick, it's a fucking party or whatever. If the guy's in public, sure, no expectation of any kind of real chat but at least a hi/autograph type of thing doesn't have to be any big deal.

#50 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:42 PM

Seppoes.

That's a name I have not heard in a long, long time....

falconext.png

#51 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:44 PM

Except that the book was written/compiled/edited AFTER he met Carrie. 

Do you think she could even compete with his past life?

Maybe things weren't great in his first marriage, which I've surmised (they were never actually married) - but that wouldn't allay any guilt. He left her countless times to hit the road. Basically a version of his motorcycling within the Rush camp. A selfish inclination with no real regard for the feelings of those closest to him. (I'm not judging - just analyzing here)

Christ - Carrie and Olivia are only in his life because his family died. This might seem like a rosey sentiment at first, but I bet it contributes to high therapy bills. Or liquor receipts.

#52 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:54 PM

The nice thing to know about this scenario is that he'd be a disappointment (knowing his history). So why bother? Thanks Neil!

Not necessarily. I think he could be open to new acquaintances, just not with Rush worshipers. I definitely wouldn't start out the conversation talking about anything even remotely having to do with Rush. He might actually be as interested in your story as you are his. But any initial Rush talk would likely be a huge red flag for him. HOWEVER, I will admit he probably gives celebrity Rush fans a pass on this. lol.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#53 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:09 PM

Do you think she could even compete with his past life?

Maybe things weren't great in his first marriage, which I've surmised (they were never actually married) - but that wouldn't allay any guilt. He left her countless times to hit the road. Basically a version of his motorcycling within the Rush camp. A selfish inclination with no real regard for the feelings of those closest to him. (I'm not judging - just analyzing here)

Christ - Carrie and Olivia are only in his life because his family died. This might seem like a rosey sentiment at first, but I bet it contributes to high therapy bills. Or liquor receipts.

My point is that he had lots of time to think about what was going into that book. He didn't have to put in his lousy opinions of regular people.

I only mention Carrie as a frame of reference for the timing.
-------
OK, let's try this: The book was actually written and compiled after he found himself, and came back to his professional career in late 2000.

So he had plenty of time to reflect and think about the bits of it that sounded condescending.

Better now?

falconext.png

#54 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:11 PM

Well everyone's free to say mostly what they want, at least in my country. Free speech is more important than people's feels. I get that. It's especially important in stand-up comedy. Comedians should be allowed to push the boundaries. However, some of Neil's commentary in his books is just flat-out mean and condescending and it's okay to call him out on that shit. 

#55 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:15 PM

Between this thread and the one about Nike - it's starting to feel like the old biker bar in here.

Hell yeah!

falconext.png

#56 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:18 PM

^^^ It's been awhile. lol.

#57 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:37 PM

My point is that he had lots of time to think about what was going into that book. He didn't have to put in his lousy opinions of regular people.

I only mention Carrie as a frame of reference for the timing.
-------
OK, let's try this: The book was actually written and compiled after he found himself, and came back to his professional career in late 2000.

So he had plenty of time to reflect and think about the bits of it that sounded condescending.

Better now?

I’m going to try and source that passage - I remember it being a reflection of his mental and emotional state at the time, not after he got married and rejoined Rush.

#58 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 10:59 PM

Well everyone's free to say mostly what they want, at least in my country. Free speech is more important than people's feels. I get that. It's especially important in stand-up comedy. Comedians should be allowed to push the boundaries. However, some of Neil's commentary in his books is just flat-out mean and condescending and it's okay to call him out on that shit. 

Nothing wrong with being mean and condescending. I called out Mrs S for being a Lard Lump today - and it's her birthday...

Just the truth though. They say the truth hurts so does a frying pan to the back of the head. Thanks bitch...

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#59 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:44 PM

It would be different though If I somehow got invited to a private party where Neil was also one of the guests. 

Would you also be going as a straight minority?  :)

#60 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:08 AM

Nothing wrong with being mean and condescending. I called out Mrs S for being a Lard Lump today - and it's her birthday...

Just the truth though. They say the truth hurts so does a frying pan to the back of the head. Thanks bitch...

How are you still married? lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users