60 replies to this topic

#21 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

Neil gets enough hate by some fans that I sometimes wonder how it all got so personal.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#22 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:06 PM

It's not personal. Just a stupid thing to make internet posts about.

But you gotta admit, he is a grump. Isn't he?

falconext.png

#23 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:07 PM

From the article FJ linked:

I'll bet Neil has a better opinion of the Stones now. Many of us are know-it-alls when we are young. The Stones were never great technical musicians but they definitely are great feel musicians. Once they got their junky sound down they just sort of kept going with it and now it's a cash-cow brand like McDonalds or Starbucks. But still, their rickety sound has a refined elan all its own and it's served a lot a their greatest songs quite well. Many of their songs wouldn't come off as well as they do without it.

The Stones sound

2016-10-11_04-36-12.jpg

The Rush sound

2016-10-24_21-49-54.jpg

They're both aesthetically pleasing in their own way.

I wonder if Kordosh caught a latter day Rush Show? Almost too much humor in those.

#24 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:26 PM

he also never learned to choke on his own vomit so I vote for Neil. 

Exceptionally dedicated artists often seem to lack some social graces, not sure why this tarnishes their art in some people's eyes but sorry if it destroys your fantasy of having a beer with your favorite rock star.

3 people who's music I absolutely love but never wanted to meet

1. Frank Zappa

2. Ian Anderson

3. Neil Peart

But in the studio and on the stage, they gave us our money's worth. The same cannot be said about pathetic, non-professionals like Bonzo, Keith Moon, those 2 assholes in Aerosmith etc....

Sorry, but I personally saw Bonzo give me my money's worth at a Zeppelin gig. I will admit that Jimmy Page didn't really do that at that gig, but in the studio he nearly always did. Do you really think people didn't get their money's worth from Keith Moon on Who records?

I give great credit to the likes of Zappa and Peart for being dedicated professionals and not letting booze and drugs short-change their fans at gigs but even so, some of the most unprofessionally messed up musicians made some of the best music.

Actually come to think of it Zappa did ruin his musical career by drug-taking. He probably denied his fans a substantial body of performances and recordings due to a drug habit. If it hadn't been for his smoking habit he'd probably be alive today, and who knows what he'd have come up with in the '90s and later?

#25 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:29 PM

Neil gets enough hate by some fans that I sometimes wonder how it all got so personal.

It can seem personal on his side as well, sometimes. I recall the anecdote in Ghost Rider where a Rush fan recognises him in a bar and he refuses to acknowledge the poor lad's attention. I could understand it if he'd followed him in there, but there's no suggestion of that in the book. He gets obvious delight from recounting his (one) little victory over one of his fans.

#26 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:43 PM

The Cambridge Lifespan Asperger Syndrome Service (CLASS), an organization in the United Kingdom that works with adults with Asperger's, has developed a simple ten question checklist to help with a preliminary self-diagnosis. If you answered “yes” to some or most of these questions, you may decide to find out more.

• I find social situations confusing.
  • I find it hard to make small talk.
  • I did not enjoy imaginative story-writing at school.
  • I am good at picking up details and facts.
  • I find it hard to work out what other people are thinking and feeling.
  • I can focus on certain things for very long periods.
  • People often say I was rude even when this was not intended.
  • I have unusually strong, narrow interests.
  • I do certain things in an inflexible, repetitive way.
  • I have always had difficulty making friends.

https://www.verywell...syndrome-259942

#27 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:53 PM

It's not personal. Just a stupid thing to make internet posts about.

But you gotta admit, he is a grump. Isn't he?

Calling him a grump isn't hate, it's just an observation. lol.

I was mainly trying to point out TimC's posts in this thread without actually saying his name. He seems to be almost holding some sort of grudge against Neil. But hey, sometimes posts like his can also make the board interesting. Ooh what'll he say next?! 

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#28 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:07 PM

Actually come to think of it Zappa did ruin his musical career by drug-taking. He probably denied his fans a substantial body of performances and recordings due to a drug habit. If it hadn't been for his smoking habit he'd probably be alive today, and who knows what he'd have come up with in the '90s and later?

I'm not sure about that... yeah smoking/cancer but with prostate it's not so strongly correlated.

As far as FZ being a general dick - I'm not sure he was or wasn't to fans on the street or whatnot (stories welcome) - but yeah he's widely known for being a dick overall, but certainly not in the way Old Man Grumpus is esp towards fans, working, and touring. That said, insofar as cheating fans and everyone else (including losing a ton of money in the process), shutting down the '88 tour was IMO an avoidable Dick Move El Supremo for sure, multiple ways that could've been sorted out considering the rarity of assembling and touring with a band of that caliber.

#29 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:08 PM

The Cambridge Lifespan Asperger Syndrome Service (CLASS), an organization in the United Kingdom that works with adults with Asperger's, has developed a simple ten question checklist to help with a preliminary self-diagnosis. If you answered “yes” to some or most of these questions, you may decide to find out more.

• I find social situations confusing.
  • I find it hard to make small talk.
  • I did not enjoy imaginative story-writing at school.
  • I am good at picking up details and facts.
  • I find it hard to work out what other people are thinking and feeling.
  • I can focus on certain things for very long periods.
  • People often say I was rude even when this was not intended.
  • I have unusually strong, narrow interests.
  • I do certain things in an inflexible, repetitive way.
  • I have always had difficulty making friends.

https://www.verywell...syndrome-259942

I too have been thinking he might be on the spectrum.

#30 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:09 PM

Oh lord, or you might be a goddamn normal person, or just a dick, or introverted. Practically everyone "has" something according to these kind of tests. Doesn't mean Neil isn't a little girly man ingrate twat though.

#31 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:14 PM

It can seem personal on his side as well, sometimes. I recall the anecdote in Ghost Rider where a Rush fan recognises him in a bar and he refuses to acknowledge the poor lad's attention. I could understand it if he'd followed him in there, but there's no suggestion of that in the book. He gets obvious delight from recounting his (one) little victory over one of his fans.

He ain't perfect that's for sure. It's interesting though that in interviews he can be quite affable, even enthusiastic. Ask him a question and he's like the Energizer Bunny....he just keeps going and going and going and going and going... Then again he's doing a job when he's being interviewed. Having a beer in a bar is down time. It would be nice if he could at least be less rude to his fans though.

#32 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:29 PM

Calling him a grump isn't hate, it's just an observation. lol.

I was mainly trying to point out TimC's posts in this thread without actually saying his name. He seems to be almost holding some sort of grudge against Neil. But hey, sometimes posts like his can also make the board interesting. Ooh what'll he say next?! 

Heh, it's not personal, how could it be, I never tried to approach the guy (though I'm 50% sure I had the chance to at some random weird dinner thing in SF once - sure LOOKED like him*), though I did already state my reasons for the negative assessment of the guy. I guess I shoulda just said "who cares what this guy thinks about other musicians since he's not that great himself;" the subsequent series of posts are just addressing real corkers of comments from that interview.

"What the hey, I gotta have SOME fun." - D. Duck

* And, by this time, I was well aware of his issues around this so I seriously thought about going "YO NEIL" to see if he'd turn accidentally before he could catch himself or what. To this day I 50% wish I had but am generally content with having not.

#33 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:45 PM

I remember that from Ghost Rider.

Another gem from that book. He rode into a hotel area where there was a singles meetup for middle-aged people. The thing that stands out for me the most is that he mentioned their "fucking nametags". They were bussed in, and they're wearing fucking nametags.

Like real condescending shit.

Sorry dude. Not everyone can be Neil Peart from Rush, with the resources to be able to ride around for 2 1/2 years and do nothing other than get his head together.   Some of us just have to do the best we can with what we have. Thank you very much.

falconext.png

#34 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:56 PM

Another gem from that book. He rode into a hotel area where there was a singles meetup for middle-aged people. The thing that stands out for me the most is that he mentioned their "fucking nametags". They were bussed in, and they're wearing fucking nametags.

Sorry dude. Not everyone can be Neil Peart from Rush, with the resources to be able to ride around for 2 1/2 years and do nothing other than get his head together.   Some of us just have to do the best we can with what we have. Thank you very much.

Didn't he also make some rude remarks about overweight people in one of his books? Yikes. That kind of thing really is inexcusable.

#35 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:58 PM

Tbh sounds like some real self-loathing there. He witnessed a bunch of people trying to solve a problem he himself had, and in fact really lucked out of having eventually by my understanding of things (he sure didn't go to singles Meetups, now did he?), and instead of perhaps learning something on the human condition and such what does he do?

Like I say, probably would've been far better to keep quiet about all this stuff....

#36 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:59 PM

Didn't he also make some rude remarks about overweight people in one of his books? Yikes. That kind of thing really is inexcusable.

Probably overweight and overly-American too, dumb shits for not moving to Canada. Oh, wait

#37 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:07 PM

Tbh sounds like some real self-loathing there. He witnessed a bunch of people trying to solve a problem he himself had, and in fact really lucked out of having eventually by my understanding of things (he sure didn't go to singles Meetups, now did he?), and instead of perhaps learning something on the human condition and such what does he do?

Like I say, probably would've been far better to keep quiet about all this stuff....

Exactly my thinking. A couple of busses full of people trying to get their stuff together after their own twists, turns and tragedies.

Perhaps some of those people were fans too. We all know how he feels about US .

falconext.png

#38 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:09 PM

Same book. Some bullshit about how overweight Americans insist on wearing their belts below their bellies.

Edit. I stopped reading his stuff after Ghost Rider. The comments about everyday people really turned me off. I lost a lot of respect for the man. 

falconext.png

#39 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:15 PM

Heh, it's not personal, how could it be, I never tried to approach the guy (though I'm 50% sure I had the chance to at some random weird dinner thing in SF once - sure LOOKED like him*), though I did already state my reasons for the negative assessment of the guy. I guess I shoulda just said "who cares what this guy thinks about other musicians since he's not that great himself;" the subsequent series of posts are just addressing real corkers of comments from that interview.

"What the hey, I gotta have SOME fun." - D. Duck

* And, by this time, I was well aware of his issues around this so I seriously thought about going "YO NEIL" to see if he'd turn accidentally before he could catch himself or what. To this day I 50% wish I had but am generally content with having not.

I really don't understand how people can approach a celeb in real life, interrupting their dinners or their beers, or as they rush to their connecting flights. How often that must happen to them. And if you're really famous, you have to deal with paparazzi in your face and in your bushes. Fame is definitely a double-edged sword.

Hats off to Geddy and Alex for not having a problem with taking pics and signing autographs for fans out in the real world. I can see how Neil doesn't have the patience for it though. He strikes me as a non chit-chat type of person. He might be in a restaurant having an interesting conversation with friends or family and suddenly his train of thought is interrupted by a nervous, worshipful Rush fan asking for a picture or an autograph or just saying hi. Then imagine that happening to him over and over and over and over again.

#40 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:17 PM

I recall that photo of a fan with a shirtless Geddy. Taken at a resort during one of the breaks, between legs of the SNA tour.  Ged was all smiles. Hats off to him.... most people would have been at least annoyed.

falconext.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users