60 replies to this topic

#1 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:54 PM

Over in the Misc. Rush thread, someone posted a very early radio interview with the band from '75.  (If you didn't hear it, go find it...it's a cool listen!)  

At some point they talk about the music of the moment, and how there is no heavy music with energy happening.  Peart, I believe, mentions Led Zeppelin in passing, and it made me realize...I've never heard him talk about them.  Like, no memory of a single mention.  I have heard Lee and Lifeson talk about meeting Page and Plant, and the impact the first album had on them (which is, of course, completely clear in Lifeson's playing....)

Did Peart like Zep do you think?  Did he appreciate Bonham's playing?  He liked odd times and all that Tolkien s**t...so you'd think there'd be some interest there.... ;)

What do you think?

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#2 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:18 AM

According to this Peart mentions Bonzo triplets in Anatomy of a Drum Solo.

http://www.drummerwo...ead.php?t=69535

#3 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:24 AM

https://www.musicrad...um-solos-458100

#4 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,849 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:35 AM

Grumpy probably frowned at Zeppelin when he saw them live.

falconext.png

#5 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:16 PM

Grumpy probably frowned at Zeppelin when he saw them live.

You know, Peart would have done well to just keep his mouth (and pen/typewriter) shut over the years. Growing up I held Rush as sort of great example of a band/guys that did their own thing against the odds, and did it cheerfully. The exact kind of life you want to live and the reason you have heroes. And of course Peart's lyrical contribution was a big part of that. This is of course still mostly the truth, and I expect many of us here are here at least partly because of this.  Finding out they're "only" human would be fine, but finding out just how much Peart was miserable and for just how long really tarnishes their reputation, particularly because what he did have to say through the lyrics - at least until he turned into Mr. Didact himself (starting around Presto but some trends creeping in a little sooner once looked at closely) - contradicted what he was feeling vs being what he actually felt. Now I just think he's an ungrateful loser.

#6 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,082 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:47 PM

I always go back to this:

http://www.2112.net/...810600creem.htm

A fun little read.  Cliff Notes version:  Neil was a miserable old man in his late 20s.   Alex is a nice guy always.

#7 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:36 PM

If he did like them he certainly never learned to groove like Bonham.

#8 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:01 PM

I always go back to this:

http://www.2112.net/...810600creem.htm

A fun little read.  Cliff Notes version:  Neil was a miserable old man in his late 20s.   Alex is a nice guy always.

Yep that's a classic. When hipsters and proggers collide.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#9 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,047 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:49 PM

Were I confronted with someone who seems as much an asshole as Kordosh here, I'd probably be a dick to him, too.
(To be fair, as has been mentioned here before, I'm a bit of a humorless curmudgeon myself, so I'm more willing to empathize with Grumpy here, anyway)

Also...

the youngest, most fresh-faced Rush fan I could find. Two guys and two girls - surely no more than 17 - came by.

Clearly lying.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:14 PM

From the article FJ linked:

"There are lots of people who laugh at their audience. Lots of bands and lots of writers and lots of authors do it."

"But let's face it - rock music ain't Jesus Christ back on earth," I said. "It's simply another mode of entertainment. It can be funny."

"If you look at it that way. To me, it's a reflection of my life. I spent the better part of my life learning how to do it, so to me it's not a joke."

Well, seeing that things were really moving along, I figured I'd try the old aren't-you-guilty-now-that-you're-rich chestnut.

"Do you feel guilty at all about making as much money as you do compared to other people who work every bit as hard as you do?" I equivocated.

"Uh, no; on the contrary. There's no amount of money that could pay you back for what you go through doing what we do."

"What about other people?"

"Which other people?"

"You know, the ones that work for a living."

"It's not really the same. I mean, I have done ordinary jobs. You can't go out in from of 10,000 people and make a fool of yourself. It's really not the same as going to work in a factory every day, I'm sorry," he said, addending his nervous-tic laughter.

"But I've heard the Stones slop up some songs beyond belief - I mean, the Stones - I heard Keith Richard come in on a chorus of 'Honky Tonk Women' where there was no chorus! It was OK."

"They're the people who laugh at their audience," explained the patient Peart.

"The Stones?"

"Sure they do. You don't think they're good?" This wasn't a question; it was a statement.

"I think they've written a good song or two."

"You can't say they're good musicians," countered Peart, who was evidently talking about some other Stones than the ones I've been listening to.

"They're good musicians. They're astute songwriters."

"Astute? In other words, clever marketing strategists."

I'll bet Neil has a better opinion of the Stones now. Many of us are know-it-alls when we are young. The Stones were never great technical musicians but they definitely are great feel musicians. Once they got their junky sound down they just sort of kept going with it and now it's a cash-cow brand like McDonalds or Starbucks. But still, their rickety sound has a refined elan all its own and it's served a lot a their greatest songs quite well. Many of their songs wouldn't come off as well as they do without it.

The Stones sound

2016-10-11_04-36-12.jpg

The Rush sound

2016-10-24_21-49-54.jpg

They're both aesthetically pleasing in their own way.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#11 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,849 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:57 PM

Especially the blonde in the back.

falconext.png

#12 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:01 AM

"no one in their right minds would be compared to David Lee Roth" - Are you fucking kidding? 

Edit: Specifically, look up his appearances on Letterman mid-80s, the guy is a fun-loving class act and when Letterman tries to snarkily make him look bad, he just deflects it and comes across like "hey man I'm having a lot more fun than you and it's great".

#13 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:03 AM

"no one in their right minds would be compared to David Lee Roth" - Are you fucking kidding? 

Does he mean no one in their right minds would compare Geddy to Roth?

I guess that’s the joke right? A cartoon combo of Geddy with Roth is silly.

#14 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:06 AM

"There's no amount of money that could pay you back for what you go through doing what we do."

I forgot about that one (somehow). WTF. Like I said, what a total fucking ingrate.

#15 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:09 AM

"You can't say they're good musicians"

Uhhhh, but you can say Keith Richards is one of the few gods that has ever walked the earth and for some reason ended up a guitarist, with probably the best results in the history of rock possible.

In my opinion.

#16 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:20 AM

Especially the blondes in the back.

#17 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:40 AM

The Stones undoubtedly were phenomenal musicians, possibly excepting Bill Wyman who was an adequate bass player. Without doubt they were sloppy sometimes, perhaps due to the classic excesses of rock'n'roll. But I cannot (for example) imagine anyone listening to a Faces record and not recognising Ron Wood as one of the seminal blues / rock'n'roll guitar players of the classic age of rock. I think he's underrated, he's right up there with Clapton, Page and Beck. And so is Peter Green, though he wasn't really a rock player.

I hadn't read that Creem piece before, but I found myself cheering for both sides there.

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:13 AM

#19 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:16 AM

Well said, Three Eyes.

#20 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:09 AM

If he did like them he certainly never learned to groove like Bonham.

he also never learned to choke on his own vomit so I vote for Neil. 

Exceptionally dedicated artists often seem to lack some social graces, not sure why this tarnishes their art in some people's eyes but sorry if it destroys your fantasy of having a beer with your favorite rock star.

3 people who's music I absolutely love but never wanted to meet

1. Frank Zappa

2. Ian Anderson

3. Neil Peart

But in the studio and on the stage, they gave us our money's worth. The same cannot be said about pathetic, non-professionals like Bonzo, Keith Moon, those 2 assholes in Aerosmith etc....

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users