Photo

"Fringe Case" (test run for the Steinberger)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:54 PM

So after kinda-sorta wanting one since I was a teenager but for some reason never pulling the trigger, I finally went ahead and picked up an original Steinberger XL-2. Thought it might be cool to break it in by doing a song that evoked the flavor of the year it was made (1985) in terms of synth textures, electronic drum sounds, big Lexicon reverbs, etc. I figured I'd just do some relatively minimalist kind of thing and whip it up in a couple of days, but of course I can't seem to leave anything simple and it got more complex as it went on (and I also let some sounds sneak in that definitely post-date the '80s).

Also used an addition to the tool box from earlier this year, a Behringer D (their Minimoog clone) for a short synth solo.

https://www.dropbox....16-bit.wav?dl=0

#2 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:09 PM

Bravo! Very evocative of Power Windows, as I'm sure you intended.

Always wanted a six-string Steinberger myself. Actually I see (just Googled it) that they've brought out a wooden homage version in recent years, I might treat myself.

#3 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:34 PM

It's like 1985 and Geddy finally kicked Alex out of the band entirely. :) That's a very high level 80s influenced composition there, Dave. I like the melody here, too. There's a lot going on but it stays cohesive. And dare I say it, the production sound is better than PoW's. 

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#4 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:23 PM

Reminds me of Rabin-era Yes as well. And the Thompson Twins.

#5 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:30 PM

Little Howard Jones in there.

#6 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for having a listen, guys. Yep, there are a few rather Power Windows-esque sounds on this (or Frankie Goes to Hollywood-esque, where Andy Richards did some similar kinds of things). Someone told me the midsection made them think of Tangerine Dream and John Carpenter.

It was fun being immersed in the sonic zeitgeist of my high school years for a bit, though I'll be angling the mixture back towards somewhat more modern electronic sounds for the rest of what I do for this project (which won't be much more because I already have a lot of material). It's nice to use a few sounds here and there that remind you of your youth, but there are too many new areas to explore to linger too long there.

#7 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,974 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:12 PM

Definitely agree on the PoW and Rabin Yes vibes.  Listening to this, I feel like I should be seeing something from mid 80's MTV.

I like it. Great song and great playing. I like the production too.

falconext.png

#8 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 05:29 PM

Listening to this, I feel like I should be seeing something from mid 80's MTV.

DbD9OmFXUAAft6b.jpg

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#9 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,974 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 01 September 2018 - 05:52 PM

I want my Empty-Vee

falconext.png

#10 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:12 PM

Whoa, I'm having a Power Windows flashback! Nice work, Dave...always good to hear your music.

#11 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:43 PM

Bravo! Very evocative of Power Windows, as I'm sure you intended.

Always wanted a six-string Steinberger myself. Actually I see (just Googled it) that they've brought out a wooden homage version in recent years, I might treat myself.

I’ve got the five string bass version. It has souped up after market pickups. Very light, fun to play.

Only problem is that on a strap, it swings to your left and middle C is further away than you expect. There is a Steinberger strap hook attachment if you can find it on eBay, but you would have to drill a screw hole in your guitar as the wood version is not fitted for the hook.

#12 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:52 PM

Yeah, the Synapse strap hooks became almost impossible to find. Last year I had a red Hohner B2A for a little while (their equivalent of a wooden Steinberger XT-2) and had a homemade version of the strap hook put into it, made from a thick metal bracket cut to size, with a hole drilled to put a strap pin in the end of it. Basically similar to the strap extender bar that was used on the old Warwick Nobby Meidel (another Steinberger-style bass). It solved the balance issue, but the bass had other things that needed work and I didn't feel like dealing with it. My brother has it now and was able to get it into a more playable state.

#13 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:14 PM

Bowie used the Hohner homage of the old Steinberger 6-string in this video a few years ago:

These, which are very similar with the conspicuous exception of a single coil pickup between the humbuckers, cost £349. The black version is actually only £301 at the moment, which almost brings it into "rude not to" territory.

steinberger-spirit-gt-pro-deluxe-outfit-

#14 Stugotz

Stugotz

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:02 AM

OUTFREAKING STANDING!

#15 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:14 AM

He looked better here at 66 than Keith Richards did at 40. But he was gone 3 years later.

#16 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:18 PM

He looked better here at 66 than Keith Richards did at 40. But he was gone 3 years later.

Here's a pic of Keef from the year he turned 40.

keef_bowie.jpg

#17 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,974 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:26 AM

Is that Tina Turner????

falconext.png

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:01 AM

Here's a pic of Keef from the year he turned 40.

keef_bowie.jpg

I see he had his sneer fully developed by this time.

#19 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:56 PM

OUTFREAKING STANDING!

Thank you kindly, fellow gentleman of the Bearded Bassists Club! I'm a relatively new member, but it's growing on me...

#20 Stugotz

Stugotz

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:09 PM

Thank you kindly, fellow gentleman of the Bearded Bassists Club! I'm a relatively new member, but it's growing on me...

It ain't lyin if its true!! Hey YYNOT wil be playing in Michigan at The Diesel, Oct 27th. Pop in a say hello!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users