Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 27 August 2018 - 05:25 PM

Two geetars, singer, drums and me.

They want to play stuff which is all root-root-root bass lines but I have convinced them to play some Who stuff - My Generation and Substitute.  So after all these years, I have to learn the bass solo on My Generation.  It's not hard to work out, but it's damn fiddly at full speed!

#2 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:19 PM

root root root?

Tell us what songs you are going to play!

#3 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 06:05 PM

root root root?

Tell us what songs you are going to play!

Lil Devil and She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult, which are super boring three chord bash.  I may have to Geddify them some to avoid falling asleep.

But I have also talked them into.....

....which gives me more of a workout. 

Also Born to Be Wild by Steppenwolf is pretty good.  The drummer likes early U2 so we are doing I Will Follow.  And Pretty Vacant by the Sex Pistols which I can pretty much sing lead on.

#4 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:12 AM

Early Wishbone Ash has some nice bass parts like

#5 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,190 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:54 PM

With two guitars unfortunately those root songs tend to leave the bass player in a more boring space.  In a one-guitar band, you can Geddyfy them a bit more because you need to take up more space.  In a two guitar band you're basically competing with the bass drum.  I've been in and out of a band like yours, playing similar material.  The Who stuff is good but you find two guitars can just fill up so much.  You've got the lead player basically playing what Pete plays and you've got the rhythm player bashing away and taking up unnecessary space.

#6 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

Early Wishbone Ash has some nice bass parts like

Boy, that is old school. Strong CSN influence there.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#7 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:17 PM

Boy, that is old school. Strong CSN influence there.

Classic early 70’s British rock. That whole album is worth a listen if you’re unfamiliar with it.

#8 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:27 PM

With two guitars unfortunately those root songs tend to leave the bass player in a more boring space.  In a one-guitar band, you can Geddyfy them a bit more because you need to take up more space.  In a two guitar band you're basically competing with the bass drum.  I've been in and out of a band like yours, playing similar material.  The Who stuff is good but you find two guitars can just fill up so much.  You've got the lead player basically playing what Pete plays and you've got the rhythm player bashing away and taking up unnecessary space.

The rhythm guitarist does fatten the sound out.  I might rebel and start playing countermelodies up the top to cut through the six-string wall.

Without wanting to sound arrogant, I think I'm the best musician.  The lead guitarist has good technical chops but I feel I bring more musicality and feel overall.  The drummer is a bit nervous so I groove hard to give him confidence.

#9 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:18 PM

The drummer is a bit nervous so I groove hard to give him confidence.

Pink slip for that guy.

Unless it’s a hot chick, then you’re fine!

#10 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:53 PM

The rhythm guitarist does fatten the sound out.  I might rebel and start playing countermelodies up the top to cut through the six-string wall.

Without wanting to sound arrogant, I think I'm the best musician.  The lead guitarist has good technical chops but I feel I bring more musicality and feel overall.  The drummer is a bit nervous so I groove hard to give him confidence.

What's best is teaching the two guitar players to do a Keith Richards/Ron Wood kind of thing.  Less strings, less chord bashing, more arpeggios.

#11 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:40 PM

What's best is teaching the two guitar players to do a Keith Richards/Ron Wood kind of thing.  Less strings, less chord bashing, more arpeggios.

Ta for these suggestions.

One of them could do that, but the other just sort of chugs along on barre chords.

Pink slip for that guy.

Unless it’s a hot chick, then you’re fine!

Like Meg White. Doesn’t play well, but bewwwwwbs! No such luck.

#12 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:57 PM

Ta for these suggestions.

One of them could do that, but the other just sort of chugs along on barre chords.

Sounds like my other band that did Who covers with two guitar players.  The barre chord basher was also the singer.  He couldn't get a sound to save his life, thankfully, so I manned his amp.  Took out most of the mids.  When that didn't work, I told him to play his Strat instead of his Les Paul or SG.  When that didn't work, I said, hey you should play acoustic on these songs.  That actually worked.  We got that nice doubling effect that Townshend got on many Who songs and I got to rock out Entwistle style.  The drummer was totally onboard.  That was actually a great band.  I've got to go through our cassette recordings and pick out a few gems to post here.  "Substitute" was sublime.  So was "Pictures of Lily"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users