20 replies to this topic

#1 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:54 AM

It's not good. It's generally not awful. It's filler. Those less than inspired songs one tends to skip.

Post songs you think are filler.  But remember, one man's filler might be another man's thriller.  -_-

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#2 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:23 PM

Everything on Counterparts?

#3 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:43 PM

Everything on Counterparts?

I've always wondered why a lot of fans like that one. Really falls flat for me.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#4 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:51 PM

There's not a lot of filler in Old Rush but this one qualifies, imo. It's not terrible. It's just kind of there.

I just noticed you can really hear a Who influence in the outro riff under the solo.

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:54 PM

Btw, this thread is filler. lol.

#6 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:11 PM

Everything on or after Counterparts?

Fixed...

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#7 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,849 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:14 AM

Everything after Hemispheres?

Re-fixed.

falconext.png

#8 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:23 AM

There's not a of filler in Old Rush but this one qualifies, imo. It's not terrible. It's just kind of there.

I just noticed you can really hear a Who influence in the outro riff under the solo.

I wouldn't argue that but I like the tune. It should have been a non-album B-Side. They crammed it on COS making Side 1 24 minutes long compared to Side 2's 20 minute duration and screwing up the cassette and 8-track play back

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

#9 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:27 AM

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is...people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (i.e., the reality of experience) and the distinction between true and false (i.e., the standards of thought) no longer exist."~ Hannah Arendt.  The Origins of Totalitarianism. 1967

I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy - John Bolton

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:12 AM

Re-fixed.

Have you turned into Nick?  :D

#11 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:06 AM

They pull that off pretty well and it sounds like they're enjoying themselves, but yeah, generally speaking, when a hard rock band goes old school rock 'n' roll/blues I suspect it means they don't have enough material to fill out their album.

From SongFacts.com

It was Aerosmith's drug dealer Zunk Buker who introduced them to this song. He heard the Bull Moose Jackson version on the Dr. Demento radio show and sent the band a copy of the song. Steven Tyler was struggling to come up with lyrics for the Toys In The Attic tracks, so adding a cover to the set took some pressure off of him.

(Btw, what self-respecting 1970s hard rock band didn't have their own personal drug dealer? lol.)

If anyone ever thought Aerosmith was edgy with their dirty lyrics, there was an entire genre called "dirty blues" that got there first. It got its start in the 1920s and lasted up through the '50s.

The 1952 original

#12 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 12:57 PM

I like I Think I'm Going Bald - there's a nice humour to it, not only in the lyrics but in the quirkiness of the music and the composition, as well. And a surprisingly mature message about growing more, er, mature, and jaded. Good rocker with a classy, intelligent edge and added quirk.

There is no filler on Caress Of Steel.

#13 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:26 PM

I like I Think I'm Going Bald - there's a nice humour to it, not only in the lyrics but in the quirkiness of the music and the composition, as well. And a surprisingly mature message about growing more, er, mature, and jaded. Good rocker with a classy, intelligent edge and added quirk.

Goddamit Slim, don't make me change my mind about that song with solid reasoning.  :)

I have to admit, one of my flaws as a music listener is my tendency to discard a song's lyrics and message if I don't like the music.

#14 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 25 August 2018 - 12:39 PM

I've always wondered why a lot of fans like that one. Really falls flat for me.

I like

- Alien Shore

- Speed of Love

- Between Sun and Moon

Rest is filler.  But after RTB I thought it was a good place to stop, and I hoped they had.

#15 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 25 August 2018 - 12:42 PM

Not fond of The Necromancer.  The music is powerful but the lyrics are awful.

#16 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 25 August 2018 - 02:07 PM

Lots of filler on Led Zeppelin albums.

Led Zeppelin - nothing springs to mind
Led Zeppelin II - Moby Dick
Led Zeppelin III - Hats off to (Roy) Harper
Led Zeppelin IV - nothing
Houses of the Holy - The Crunge and D’ Yer M’ker
Physical Graffiti - Boogie with Stu. Most of side 4 is flirting with being filler.
Presence - I haven’t listened to it for so long I can’t remember but I’ll bet there’s at least one
In Through the Out Door - all of it except In The Evening and maybe Carouselambra.

#17 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:42 PM

Not fond of The Necromancer.  The music is powerful but the lyrics are awful.

I'll agree that the lyrics are pretty high school notebook. But I still think it's a great song overall due to its musical journey and yes even its lyrical journey. Let's not forget Neil wasn't that long out of high school.

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:46 PM

I like

- Alien Shore

- Speed of Love

- Between Sun and Moon

Rest is filler.  But after RTB I thought it was a good place to stop, and I hoped they had.

I like only parts of some of the songs but I like all of Alien Shore and Everyday Glory.

#19 BinFrog

BinFrog

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:48 PM

I like

- Alien Shore
- Speed of Love
- Between Sun and Moon

Rest is filler. But after RTB I thought it was a good place to stop, and I hoped they had.

I like most of it...with Speed Of Love being a huge exception.

#20 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,082 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:55 PM

Ice Cream Man by Van Halen was a similar venture into blues/prurience that also was a lot of fun. Big Balls by AC/DC too. When those songs come on I almost want to skip them because they are so different from the rest of the albums that they don’t fit in. But a few measures start and I just get into them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users