#1 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:41 PM

Um. Holy shit.

Just started listening to the Yes Album. The difference from the shitty tape I had from high school is palpable - with headphones anyway.

http://yesworld.com/...-vinyl-box-set/

Starship Trooper is a must listen.

#2 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:38 PM

I may have to pick up the new Close to the Edge.  That's one of my favorite albums of all time, and I can only imagine a Wilson mix would improve it.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#3 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:33 PM

Dude CTTE is incredible. It’s not a stark contrast like VT’s remix was. There’s just more in the mix. Wilson has made improvements but hasn’t changed the character of it. He’s enhanced an already stunning mix to begin with.

I’m listening to it on Spotify btw...

#4 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:32 AM

I have Wilson's Fragile on Blu Ray.  Absolutely stunning.  I also have all of his ELP remixes, Aqualung, and Songs From The Big Chair, every one brilliant.  He stays so true to the spirit of the original, but brings out so much more of EVERYTHING.  Hard to believe the resonance he brings forth from Bruford and Palmers drums, the originals always sounded so "boxy"!

#5 SpaceGhost2112

SpaceGhost2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • LocationTaylor, MI

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:54 PM

His remix of Chicago II is great as well.   :2  thumbs up:

#6 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:52 AM

Um. Holy shit.

Just started listening to the Yes Album. The difference from the shitty tape I had from high school is palpable - with headphones anyway.

http://yesworld.com/...-vinyl-box-set/

Starship Trooper is a must listen.

Very interesting. I compared Yours Is No Disgrace with the version I have from one of the CD remasters, and didn't notice an improvement. But Starship Trooper does benefit from a vocal that's a little less remote and strained in the mix on the Wilson version, almost like you're closer to Anderson while he's singing.

#7 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 12:36 PM

Very interesting. I compared Yours Is No Disgrace with the version I have from one of the CD remasters, and didn't notice an improvement. But Starship Trooper does benefit from a vocal that's a little less remote and strained in the mix on the Wilson version, almost like you're closer to Anderson while he's singing.

Totally. Though one little thing I noticed is that Howe’s guitar sounds a little less like a quacking duck at the beginning of YIND. To me the drums sound a little better too - the snare brought up a little more.

What surprised me with ST is the layered “ahh” section - I feel I definitely hear vocals I’ve never heard before - and of course the way Squire and Bruford play through that section is sublime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users