#41 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:21 AM

Since others are doing it. Heavy on the Broon years at the top and to tell the truth once you get past Signals they are pretty interchangeable although S&A, VT and RtB are always likely to be the bottom 3. If I was adding live albums ATWAS would be number 3 and ESL at number 5. I don’t care enough about the other live albums to rank them.

1. Hemispheres
2. A Farewell to Kings
3. Permanent Waves
4. Moving Pictures
5. Caress of Steel
6. 2112
7. Fly by Night
8. Grace Under Pressure
9. Power Windows
10. Signals
11. Counterparts
12. Rush
13. Hold Your Fire
14. Clockwork Angels
15. Presto
16. Test for Echo
17. Roll the Bones
18. Vapor Trails
19. Snakes and Arrows

#42 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

That's a harsh assessment of Clockwork Angels, MT!  Also surprised that Hemisphere isn't ranked higher.

CA sounds to me like a naff version of their COS-era selves.  The music is powerful but too 'bitty' - several of the songs could to with being a minute or two shorter - and it has IMO the worst lyrics of any Rush album except the Rutsey one, and lyrics are a big factor in my enjoyment of Rush.

I love side one of Hemispheres.  Side two - La Villa never really grabbed me, and while I love The Trees it sounds underpowered compared to the ESL version, where I heard it first.  Circumstances I can take or leave - I like the synth interlude. 

#43 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:01 PM

I don't know how you all can rate the albums in order like that. All I can do is let you know which one I am in the mood to listen to at any single time. Right now I am in the mood to listen/watch a video boot of the T4E tour put up on YT by Snowdog. I love how technology had come far enough to capture a decent live sound with an open video recorder mic. Nothing compares to a live arena kick drum!

#44 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:13 PM

I haven't done this for a few years, so I copied & pasted Flux's list into a text editor and shuffled it around until it stopped looking wrong.

Hemispheres
Moving Pictures
Signals
Caress of Steel
Power Windows
Clockwork Angels
Permanent Waves
Grace Under Pressure
Fly By Night
Hold Your Fire
Test For Echo
Rush
Presto
A Farewell to Kings
Counterparts
Vapor Trails
Snakes & Arrows
Roll the Bones

What a catalogue. From some of mankind's greatest artistic achievements at the top, to worthless, thoughtless, ill-conceived dross at the bottom.

Pretty close to what mine would be. Swap the remixed VT with T4E. And Rush with RtB. And Permanent Waves with CA.

Let’s be honest. Rush is a difficult listen. Live versions of those songs with NP make it glaringly obvious that the LP would’ve benefited from a re-recording.

I love Rutsey - lots of heart, and a driving force behind early Rush. But the drumming is almost painful in places.

It is a very sterile recording - and of course they were a young band with no budget. All the fun elements of being the semi-sloppy bar band is sucked out. Can’t hold a candle to FbN, which is just full of life - dynamics, prog elements, Tolkien...

#45 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:21 PM

Imagine how unlistenable a bricked AFTK or Moving Pictures would have been. (God, I'm thankful they made those albums during that much more sane era!)

I never even thought about this. Holy crap that would have been terrible. Expanding this to so many great albums made pre-loudness-war...OMG we're talking dreadful total-scorched-earth carnage here. Pheeeeow.

#46 sickasadog

sickasadog

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:55 PM

I never even thought about this. Holy crap that would have been terrible. Expanding this to so many great albums made pre-loudness-war...OMG we're talking dreadful total-scorched-earth carnage here. Pheeeeow.

Imagine how unlistenable a bricked AFTK or Moving Pictures would have been.

I'd be interested to hear what somebody with Audacity skills could do with these albums to make them sound more "modern". The album series could be dubbed "Classic Albums Bricked". Good for a laugh anyway.

#47 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:59 PM

I'd be interested to hear what somebody with Audacity skills could do with these albums to make them sound more "modern". The album series could be dubbed "Classic Albums Bricked". Good for a laugh anyway.

Wouldn't take a lot of skill, just apply judicious amplification to each of the tracks. A few clicks in each case.

#48 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:08 PM

Compress it and then raise the volume until the waveform looks like this. You wanna keep those pesky dynamic recesses as small as possible. lol.

headlong-flight-mp3.png

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#49 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:15 PM

That's the thing. It's doesn't take skill to brick a waveform.  -_-

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#50 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:13 PM

Don’t forget to add a modern mix to those old records too.

‘Modern’ being that every instrument is doubled and then pegged at equal level to all other instruments and vocals (which of course have been triple tracked).

#51 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,099 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:53 AM

Shit has to be on the grid, too.  Nothing properly off-beat, nothing glissando at all.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#52 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:33 AM

And Autotune !

#53 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:11 AM

"Do you believe in life after Rush?"

#54 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:26 AM

And don't forget the millennial whoop.

No his mind is not for rent

To any god or government

Ah oh! Ah oh!

#55 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:23 AM

Finding my Brick

By-Tor and the Brick

The Brick Zone

Closer to the Brick

Spirit of Brick

Bricked Barchetta

Bricking It

Between the Bricks

Brickathon

Brick my Thing?

#56 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:25 AM

<< ooops got carried away with bricklaying >>

#57 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:23 PM

Can somebody do a remix of that, I'd actually spend money on that shit

#58 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:25 PM

And don't forget the millennial whoop.

No his mind is not for rent

To any god or government

Ah oh! Ah oh!

That's interesting and I'd noticed it, but not overly consciously. But really is it any worse than "baby baby" or "baby baby baby" or b-b-b-b-baby" or "ooh yeah", "oh yeah" etc?

#59 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:45 PM

The Brickers

#60 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,313 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:51 PM

That's interesting and I'd noticed it, but not overly consciously. But really is it any worse than "baby baby" or "baby baby baby" or b-b-b-b-baby" or "ooh yeah", "oh yeah" etc?

Much, much worse because modern pop songs are generally so simple and generic and the whoop just makes them moreso. And it's typically part of the architecture of the melody and repeated multiple times over the course of the song whereas "baby" was usually just an accent or tag to the melody line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users